Wait for turbo power?

/ Wait for turbo power? #1  

BER

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF1235 HST MFWD
I was in the vicinity today so I stopped by the local MF dealer. He knew I had requested some literature from the MF website, so he was aware I was shopping. I told him I was interested in the MF 461 so he showed me a MF 1455 he had on the lot. He stated that the 4 cylinder naturally asperated engine was better than the 3 cylinder turbo engine because of the turbo lag. "I would have to wait for the power" Would this be a problem in a tractor application? Or does he just need to move the MF 1455. Any comments on turbo power lag or turbo tractors would be appreciated.

/ Wait for turbo power? #2  
I have a MF 1440 and you can't even tell that there is any turbo lag. I think that the dealer has been reading to many automotive speed magazines. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Wait for turbo power?
I know moving a tractor off the lot is important to any dealer, but I have done my research and as nice a tractor as the MF 1455 may be, it is too large in size for my 96" barn door. The MF 461 is 4" shorter to the top of the ROPS bar. The MF 461 is also shorter in length by about a foot, and the wheel base is 2" shorter. The MF 1455 has a 175CID 4 cyl. ISEIKI engine rated at 55HP and the MF461 has a 200CID turbo 3 cyl. PERKINS engine rated at 64HP. The MF 1455 weighs about 4000# and the MF 461 weighs 5500#. So in some ways the dealer was correct in saying "The MF 461 is a bigger tractor" but only in power and weight. I,ve seen these two tractors sitting side by side at another dealer's lot, and to me the MF 1455 looks bigger in size, but when you look at the drivetrain it is easy to see why the MF 461 is heavier. I did not ask for a price on the MF 1455 from either dealer, however one did give me a price for the MF461 with 1050 quicktach FEL of 23.6K$. The SSS 8X8 tran. seemed to be easy to use, but with my short arms after I moved the seat up to the steering wheel the pedals seemed too close. I think maybe the steering wheel angle is too straight up. I could hear the turbo whine even at idle. I have seen more good postings about turbos than bad. I don't think the possibility of turbo lag will discourage me from buying turbo. I'm still researching more possibilities.

/ Wait for turbo power? #4  
Hi,

Dont let the numbers deceive you. No disrespect intended here, but the 461 is a better built AG tractor, whereas the 1455 is a compact, despite the numbers. I would take the 461 over the 1455, just because the 461 is stronger built unit, and for the Perkins engine!! Depends on what you want , and what you are using it for, if you are farming, then get the 461!!

Take care

Will

/ Wait for turbo power? #5  
I don't know if I'm allowed to post on the MF discussions but I saw your question about Turbos. I just took delivery a month ago on a Kubota M9000 with Turbo and intercooler and I say the dealer must be wanting to move old inventory. I wish mine did have a lag sometimes when doing loader work at high RPMs you best have your seatbelt on or you'll be sitting on your 3pt.

/ Wait for turbo power? #6  
BER,

I would tend to agree that he is trying to move inventory already on his lot.

28Red /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Wait for turbo power? #7  
The 461 is the way to go....... I got one of the first ones to hit the USA and it has made me money all year. It will run circles around the others because it does not have a short turning radius, but the power it has is unreal.

/ Wait for turbo power?
ropinghorns,
Did you get a loader with your MF461? If you did, which one?

/ Wait for turbo power?
More on the MF461: A dealer 120 miles north of here gave me a price of $22,950 for the tractor and $4,750 for the 1050 QA FEL. The dealer also told me that the 431 & 461 were made in Turkey and the other 400's are made in Brazil. He also told me that the 1040 FEL is used on the 2WD and the 1050 is used on the 4WD (461 application). Information can vary from one dealer to another.