Sanity Check

/ Sanity Check #1  

F15Sticks

Tractor
2005 Cub Cadet 8354
Hello. I'm new and in need of advice from some of you "thousand posters" with lots of MF knowledge. I currently use a 59 Ford 601 for brush clearing/mowing out at our recreational farm. It's a great old tractor, been in the family since new, but I'm a mechanical idiot and I need something new that I won't have to fix. I had just about settled on a Cub Cadet 1854 (35 HP) with an FEL for $15,200 when I thought I better check with my local MF dealer just to make sure he didn't have anything better. Turns out he's got a 2004 40HP MF (can't remember the model number, 14 something I think) with a FEL for around $19,000. My big concern is quality and durability. I'll use the FEL maybe 10 times and probably mow 30 or 40 hours this summer. Can somebody please help me sort out MF quality vs. other brands, specifically Cub. Thank you in advance if you take the time to answer this.

Sticks

/ Sanity Check #2  
F15Sticks, HI and welcome to TBN, I think Jerry will probably be the best at answering this question. But if I'm Not mistaken /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifwhich has been known to happen... I think that ISEKI is the same manufacturer of both tractors ,This is just looking at the sheet metal they look identical other than color.
The 40hp is probably a MF1440 your talking about,and the Cub Cadet 35hp sounds like a massey 1433. Just my thoughts not 100% sure but if I'm wrong someone will point it out /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Price wise the Cub looks pretty attractive to me... that is a good price in my opinion ,I paid 15,800 for a MF1433v w/FEL and shuttle shift R4 tires last year.

Well I just did some searching and didn't find anything on 1854 cub's but newer cubs are made by either daedong or mitsubishi, so I'm not sure about this one I'll keep looking for cub's 1800 series??

What year tractors are we talking about,because I have seen some cubs that are Identical to the MF's cub cadet pic

/ Sanity Check #3  
Hello Sticks,
I have had a MF 1250 compact and now own a MF 1440. I like the 1440 the best. I use my tractor a lot, almost every day for a large number of different things. I have never had any mentionable problems with the 1440. If you have any specific questions, feel free to let me know. The larger 1400 series are very easy to service. They are user friendly and are built like a very durable compared to most other compact tractors. What type of transmission does the one have you are looking at?

/ Sanity Check
Thanks JerryG and Nasty135,

The Cub is a Synchro Shift. Here is the link on Ebay that has a used one, just like the new one that's being offered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3876330405

The MF, I think it is a 1440, is a SynchroShuttle. I think they are about the same, but again, I'm not terribly mechanical.

The MF dealer told me the Cub was now built in China, and not by IH anymore. Apparently the research I did was old. I felt better about an IH built tractor. I simply know nothing about Chinese built tractors although from the reading I've done on TBN, it seems they have a lot of fans. The MF is built in Japan and is an Iseke (sp) like Nasty135 pointed out.

The big thing I'm interested in is quality vs. price (I didn't make that very clear in my first post). The Cub is $15, 200 and the MF is going to be around $19,000. It's 5HP bigger but is it worth the extra $4K to go with the MF.

Thanks again. I'm still listening to any and all opinions. Waiting to form my own.

Sticks

/ Sanity Check #5  
Its a Cub 8354, same thing as a Kioti DK35. Kioti makes these tractors for Cub. Kioti has a well deserved repuation for building reliable tractors.

For your use I would believe that the Cub is the better buy. I just don't see where you could justify the extra $ for only 5 hp. Hers are some comparisons...

PTO HP:
Cub - 28.3
MF - 32.4

Fuel Capacity:
Cub - 11.5
MF - 7.9

Lift Capacity:
Cub - 2740
MF - 2756

Hydaulic Flow
Cub - 7.8 (main), 4.7 (steering), 12.5 total
MF - 7.7 (main), 4.5 (steering), 12.2 total

Weight (w/o loader):
Cub - 3872 pounds
MF - 3000 pounds

As you can see the Cub has more fuel capacity, more hydraulic flow, and more weight. Both tractors are well made however, for the $ difference I think Cub would be your best bet. Good luck shopping!

/ Sanity Check
Gamble77, thanks. That pretty well lays it out. It seems that the Cub exceeds the MF in just about everything but HP. The $ is always a big deal and in this case closes the deal.

I'll report back, with pictures like everyone else, if I can make this happen.

I can't wait to get this tractor. I can't imagine what it'll be like driving one with power steering. The 601 is a handful.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help yall, and this site, offer.

Sticks