HP Comparison ?

/ HP Comparison ? #1  

scott_vt

Tractor
1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A
I would like to start by thanking Birdhunter for the link to the tractordata website. With that said, Im just curious about hp ratings. On a previous post a fella is asking about pricing info on a MF 1260. Looking that tractor spec up I find that they are getting 38 engine hp out of a 91 cu in engine. My MF 1040 has a 121 cu in engine with 32 engine hp and 28 pto hp. Obviously the 1260 is a newer tractor and more effecient but that seemed like a pretty dramatic hp hike. Also was curious to see the 3pt lift capacity is 200 lbs less on my machine compared to the 1260, even though my tractor is heavier. Im in no way knocking the 1260, as I love my little MF 1040, and have been known to wear my Massey hat brush hogging my fields in the summer. Just curious about what some of the other older Massey owners think. Thankl!

scotty

/ HP Comparison ? #2  
Scot vt,
Don't forget stroke, compression, RPM and the turbo. However I don't have any info on the MF1040. BER

/ HP Comparison ? #3  
I wonder sometimes how they get some of these hp ratings. Also how much of a difference a few hp on paper really makes. I have a 1240 with 28 hp and even less to the pto, now in a low gear this tractor is unstopable as long as the tires have traction, so even if it had say another 5 or 6 hp what difference in real terms would there be? Pretty little I'd say. I think it safe to say that most all CUTS have way more hp than they can use. I'd put more emphasis on weight and tire selection than on a few hp either way.

As to price on a MF 1260, from what I've seen its a regional thing. In my area a clean low hours CUT is sold the first day the ad comes out, and ~ $15k would work. I've also noticed that other parts of the country aren't the same and used equip goes for less.

/ HP Comparison ? #4  
Aso remember on some you may be able to turn the injection pump up a bit depending on whether it is mechanical or electrically controlled. I dispute alot of the data they have on that site but it is a decent reference. Like I said the 135 itself can have 1 of 3 engines init and they only have 1 listed for it. I know of a few other Massey's on teir that are the same way, like the 150 and 165.
And that site is not only limited to MF's that aren't correct, I have looked for data on several older John Deere's and Allis Chalmers tractors and it just isn't there for the engine I am looking for. As for some of the specs they have some of those are not entirely coorect either, but like I said a good gengeral reference to find ot if a particular tractor is about 40-45 hp or 60-70 hp.

/ HP Comparison ?
Syncro,
That is an excellent point, as I know exactly what your saying. The other day I cut down a bunch of poison sumac trees on the lower part of my property, cutting the trees high so I could pop them up with my FEL or backblade. Some of the bigger stumps had my tractor spinnin all fours, and with ag tires it didnt take long to turn that area into a mud pit. Like you said, even in mid range that machine will pull a house down if you can get the hp to the ground!! Anyway, got all the stumps out and pushed off to the hedgerow, but did I ever tell you how much I would like a backhoe?

Thanks scotty