MF 2325 MMM - owners beware (2nd try)

/ MF 2325 MMM - owners beware (2nd try) #1  

44trxfun

Gold Member
Tractor
MF GC2300
I just wrote a long-winded post and lost it, so this is the short version. Three times now the clip on my mower wheel shaft (see attachment) has vibrated loose. These are designed NOT to vibrate out, but apparently it does happen. Today, the shaft holding the wheel dropped right out (lost not only the clip but the pin that holds the shaft at the desired height).

If you've got one of these mowers, keep an eye on that clip...

Attachments

• 660477-P5250156.JPG
    660477-P5250156.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 763
   / MF 2325 MMM - owners beware (2nd try) #2  
Looking at the picture it dosen't look like the clip is installed properly.

Jack

/ MF 2325 MMM - owners beware (2nd try)
Thanks for responding Jack. I'm pretty sure it came like this when delivered by the dealer, but I'm open to suggestions for other ways to install it. Can you elaborate?

/ MF 2325 MMM - owners beware (2nd try) #4  
There is a small lynch pin, just like you use on the three point hitch. That is what I would think should be there. They are available at TSC and most tractor dealers.

/ MF 2325 MMM - owners beware (2nd try) #5  
<font color="blue"> </font> 3035User said:
Looking at the picture it dosen't look like the clip is installed properly.

<font color="black"> </font> I was confused (or confuzzled as my daughter says) because this is exactly the way I thought mine was when I saw the picture. I verified it last night when I went out to mow...and just before one on the rear wheels fell off.

This is the second wheel to fall off actually and I did replace that pin with a lynch pin. Today I will get 3 pins and replace the rest of them.

/ MF 2325 MMM - owners beware (2nd try) #6  
I was mistaken when I said I used a lynch pin. I used a pin similar to what was in there already but with an "R" (or hairpin) type retainer. I am not sure how a lynch pin would work in this situation unless a small one is used for the retainer.

Well somehow the front left one still managed to come out and what a disgusting sound it made when I ran over it with the mower. I was unable to find any part of the wheel itself and the bracket was chewed up pretty good. I figured on continuing mowing but at least one of the blades is bent and out of balance indicated by the high vibration when I engaged it (I hope it is no more serious than a blade).

I will stop at my dealer later to pick up a set of replacement blades but the wheel and bracket are not a stock item.

A damper on the fun I have been having. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ MF 2325 MMM - owners beware (2nd try)
Lou, I may be mistaken (can't quite remember) but when this happened to me last year, I tried a hairpin clip. I'm pretty sure I had problems with it too. Now I'm using a cotter pin in a TSC replacement post/pin (one with multiple holes for varying widths). I didn't expect it to hold, but it has for two mowings now. I'm starting to wonder whether the snug fit of the factory pin (that holds the wheel at the appropriate height) might not be part of the problem...

/ MF 2325 MMM - owners beware (2nd try) #8  
Went to my dealer and picked up the new blades and attempted to get parts to fix my wheel assembly. With the wheel and axle missing, I may have to purchase a new assembly.

But some good did come of it. We discussed my wheels falling off and, after some thought, the dealer asked if I was mowing in or around brush. After I gave it some thought I realized that the last 2 times the wheel came off I had been mowing around brush. He said another customer had a similar problem with a rear mower and came to realize that the pins were catching on the brush and pulling them out.

His solution: Put in heavy cotter pins. So 44trxfun looks like you are ahead of the game. I may use cotter pins or bolts with nylon insert nuts.

Probably people just mowing their grass with no brush around would never see this.

It appears we have a solution. Now if I can just get another wheel and assembly at a reasonable price.

/ MF 2325 MMM - owners beware (2nd try) #9  
Had a similar problem with mine also. Try turning the pins to point to the inside of the mower deck and change the retainers to the R shaped hairpin style clips pushing them all the way into the holes in the adjustment pins.Seems to have worked for me................

/ MF 2325 MMM - owners beware (2nd try) #10  
Agreed, I also point mine so the pin is toward the inside.