1998 MF 231?

/ 1998 MF 231? #1  

3_lb_trigger

Tractor
MF 231 w/ Loader
Hey guys! This is my first post,and I'm preparing to buy my first tractor, so this is all new to me. I'm looking at a 1998 MF231, 2WD, Bush Hog quick disconnect loader, and canopy. It has 398 hours on it, and looks hardly used. The dealer is asking $10K. Is this a good deal? Also, would this tractor be sufficient for my needs? I have 210 acres in the ozarks, about half of which are cleared. I need to brush hog the cleared areas, and use the tractor for whatever else I could think of on the wooded parts. (Drag felled trees, scrape roads, etc.) Most of the property is hilly, having a difference of 200 ft. between the lowest & highest points. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

/ 1998 MF 231? #2  
About 3 months ago I bought a MF 231S with 220 hours, FEL for $11,400. I am well pleased with the tractor except for the hydraulics. Very slow and weak. I had a Ford 1300 with a FEL that was WAY more responsive. As far as a "good deal" on the 231, if that is what fits your needs now and in the near future, then the price is O.K.. However, if you think you might need more HP and better hydraulics, I would suggest looking at something in the 400 series.

/ 1998 MF 231?
garmar,

Thanks for the input. I went back & drove it. The hydraulics were slow like you said, but other than that, everything was good. Out here, everything used is REALLY used! This was the cleanest tractor I'd found. I tried to get the dealer to sell it to me for 9K. He said that he would go 9500, no sales tax, would fill the rear tires w/ fluid, and deliver it to my property so I took that deal. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 1998 MF 231? #4  
SWEEEEET!!!!! Sounds like a great deal to me, enjoy.