Tractor suggestion

/ Tractor suggestion #1  

Cujo

Tractor
MF 1533
Hi all,

First time poster (newbie) here. Been awhile since I driven a tractor, worked on cabbage farms as a kid. We've just bought a place on 5 acres, and I am looking for a tractor to maintain the property. Most of the acreage will have to be brush hogged, and it's pretty thick in some spots. I've got stumps to pull, rocks to move, a driveway to plow and grade and other landscaping chores to be done. We'll have two neighbors next to us (still haven't built yet). They both have 6 acres apiece I'll be brush hogging. I was leaning towards the line of maybe a 1528 w/fel, and a 5 foot rotary mower for the time being. I need something that I'll be able to haul about 160 miles or so to our cabin/lake property as well. The wife was looking more at a GC2300, but I think I'd be better off with something a little bigger. any suggestions?

/ Tractor suggestion #2  
Cujo, Welcome to TBN /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

With 5 acres you could use a GC2300 , But if your going to do another 12acres from time to time until the neighbors build, or maybe even there after?

A 1528 will handle a 5' bushog while a GC2300 a 4' is recommended , you might want to consider a GC2310 TLB for stump removal tasks, you won't mind a little extra help digging when needed... Pulling stumps with a chain or grubbing with a loader can be time consuming and frustrating ,but using a backhoe and digging around a stump and popping roots one at a time will probably be less time consuming and less frustrating with less mess in the end.

With less mess I'm talking about pulling and spinning 4 wheels tearing up the ground(grass)in 3 or 4 different directions loosening a stump to get it out either with a chain or the loader. With a backhoe ,park it set it start digging around most of the mess should be contained to the immediate work area, not a 20' radius from spinning wheels all around the stump... A larger tractor will make pushing somewhat more successful , But a stump grinder might be able to be rented in such instances when the tractor proves to be fruitless in attempting too large a stump...Some food for thought /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keep us posted

also if you have some very uneven property high and low ridges becareful with a GC especially if it has a mower because of ground clearance issues...

/ Tractor suggestion
Thanks for the welcome!

I did thnk about the GC2310 TLB, but the majority of the work will be mowing and brush hogging. The land is fairly flat, no steep slopes or sharp curves. Any stumps I'd be pulling out of the ground would be less than a foot in diameter, the trees aren't very big, mostly just scrub brush. I could always just loosen up the stump roots a bit with the trusty chainsaw before popping them out if it's too much. Living in Wisconsin, we get our fair share of the heavy snow, so I'll have plenty of plowing to do. I looked at the chinese tractors, and decided that they are just a breakdown waiting to happen. I also looked at the Farmtracs, but upon seeing the new Masseys, I quickly fell in love with them. (not to mention the better re-sale value if i decide to sell it).

/ Tractor suggestion #4  
Cujo,
I have to agree with Mark (Nasty 135) on all counts, and by the way welcome to TBN. There is nothing like a backhoe for stump removal, and I am an advocate of a bigger machine when ever possible. As far as what Mark mentioned about tearing up the property using a FEL on stump removal, he is on the mark. Ask me how I know? I took a few small stumps with my machine this past spring and you can do some damage in FWD, especially with AG tires. Good luck in your search.

scotty

/ Tractor suggestion #5  
Maybe a good compromise between 1528 and GC2300 would be MF 1523!

/ Tractor suggestion
Been away for awhile with the holidays and work and such. I did manage to run to the local MF dealer and get a quote on a 1528. I just wanted to know if this is a fair price.

The quote: MF 1528 Hydro w/1525 pedestal FEL, 54" Heavy Duty bucket $16,850 w/rear spool valve $17,000. he said it's cheaper to get that done right away for $150 than to spend $1200 later. Even if I never used it, it would pay for itself in resale alone. Anyone think I'd be getting hosed on this deal?
I'm going to run down to the other MF dealer and see what he's got to say. Thanks in advance!

/ Tractor suggestion #7  
The 1528 uses a 1520 loader. The 1525 loader fits 1533's & 1540's. Just an FYI

/ Tractor suggestion #8  
Here in TX I was quoted 16,600 for a 1533 w/a 1525 FEL. It seemed like a whole lot more tractor than the 1528, at least in size, so 16,850 seems kinda hign to me.

/ Tractor suggestion #9  
Was your quote for a syncro shuttle or a hydro? Cujo's quote was for a 1528 hydro or so he said. I got a quote around here for a 1533 plus FEL close to $19,000 and had to pass although I liked the tractor very much. We have only one MF dealer and I think he is high. We have several Kubota, Case, NH dealers and their prices are competitive. From what I have seen on the internet, tractors seem to be cheaper in Texas.

/ Tractor suggestion #10  
I fail to see where he mentions syncro