MF 135 good buy?

/ MF 135 good buy? #1  

SprayFoamer

Looked at a MF 135 today. diesel, rusty, but in OK :( cond. the draw bar lever didn't work, but it worked of a seperate hyd. lever under the seat. It leaked oil or diesel, could't tell the difference...

It comes with a King Cutter 6' finishing mower that looked about 1-2 years old. Live PTO.

Rubber is good, but tread doesn't match, wiring was on the bad side, but matched the condition of the tractor. 3600 hours.

Hydro fluied looked like a shake you would get from Mc'y D's...motor oil looked very new....too new...

Unit fired right up, and didn't smoke while revin the motor.

asking price 3250. I wish i had my camera with me....its been in the paper for about a week now....

any thoughts?

/ MF 135 good buy? #2  
I'd say w/o the mower it may be worth $2000 - $2500. Does the 3pt droop or does it stay up?

/ MF 135 good buy? #3  
Looked at a MF 135 today. diesel, rusty, but in OK :( cond. the draw bar lever didn't work, but it worked of a seperate hyd. lever under the seat. It leaked oil or diesel, could't tell the difference...

It comes with a King Cutter 6' finishing mower that looked about 1-2 years old. Live PTO.

Rubber is good, but tread doesn't match, wiring was on the bad side, but matched the condition of the tractor. 3600 hours.

Hydro fluied looked like a shake you would get from Mc'y D's...motor oil looked very new....too new...

Unit fired right up, and didn't smoke while revin the motor.

asking price 3250. I wish i had my camera with me....its been in the paper for about a week now....

any thoughts?

By the description, that sounds like an OEM Massey Ferguson remote hydraulic service valve (under the seat) When it's in place, the 3-point quadrant controls no longer function as "normal" and one of the levers under the seat now control the 3-point hitch. Could be normal. I'd like to see the valve in question.

Where is the oil/fuel leak? Location may indicate which.

3600 hours isn't a huge amount on a Perkins diesel. I've seen many with 8000 to 10,000 hours and still going strong. VERY good motor if it's had any sort of care. Quick start and no smoke is a good sign. I'd question the "too clean oil" also. Not always a red flag, but often can be.

Wiring, depending on yearof tractor, could be anywhre from 44 years old (1964 model) to 33 years old (1975 model) At any rate, wiring CAN be replaced with a fair amount of work.

Not unusual to find water in hydraulic sumps on tractors of that age. It can enter through leaky shifter boots or at the master control spring boot (big spring under seat at tractor end of top link) Drain, flush with diesel fuel, and replace. Holds just under 8 gallons.

Around these parts, a decent 135 for $3250 would be soldon day one. Minimum of $4000, more like $4500 to $5000 for a decent diesel model. So, price sounds in line, maybe even cheap.