1971 Massey Ferguson 135

/ 1971 Massey Ferguson 135 #1  

Texas Blues

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey 1655 Ford 1700 2cyl, Ford 1600 2cyl Massey 135 3cyl gas
Whats anybodys general opinion of the Massey 135? I found a 1971 model with a 4 cylinder gas motor. The motor smokes some but runs good, everything else works ( pto and hydro). I guess its the Continental brand motor (at least thats the only listing I could find that listed a 4 cyl gas motor)which I know nothing about. Its a good price, think I will get it but would like some opinions. Thanks!

/ 1971 Massey Ferguson 135
Guess I should have added that it shows 1900 hrs on it. All 4 tires are in good shape. The hood and fenders are solid but has some rust. From the motor back, I didnt see any fluid leaks. The motor will need some work eventually which I will do myself. Anyhow the guy is asking $850.00. He has 3 other tractors and just doesnt need this one. Thanks again.

/ 1971 Massey Ferguson 135 #3  
I have two Massey Ferguson 35 (aka 835 or 135) one is 1960, the other 1963. Both have hotchkiss diesel engines. Never knew there were gas MF35. Wonderful machines though, will stand a lot of abuse and have plenty of power and energy.
Phil

/ 1971 Massey Ferguson 135 #4  
A '71 gas 135 in running order would bring close to $4000 sight unseen around here. At $850, I'd question if there isn't something greater wrong than just "smoking engine". Even at that, you could part it out and EASILY double, maybe even triple your money.

If it's a 4-banger, it is a Continental. Question? Is it a Z-134 or a Z-145? The 134 version was available in the 135 SPECIAL. It was the economy version. Most important difference was no live power. The Z145 was in the 135 Standard. It had live power.

Either way, good engines. Fairly thrifty for a gasser. PArts are still easy to come by. Massey Ferguson has their "Heritage Parts" catalogs with all the replacement parts for those tractors. MF didn't keep exact detailed records at that time, but estimates are, worldwide production of the 135 saw something to the effect of 400,000 units during it's run. Still a TON of 'em out there working every day.

I was mistaken, it has a 3cyl gas motor. A Perkins I guess. Once I got it home last night I looked it over some more. It has a motor oil leak (more than one) but the glaring one is coming from in between the head and the block. You can see where its been running out. Thought it might be the valve cover gasket,but its dry up there. I think some of the smoke might be this leak, it is pouring down on the exaust maifold. Will do more inspection tonight. I dont know the motor numbers, is that stamped on the block somewhere? Thanks

/ 1971 Massey Ferguson 135 #6  
3 cylinder will be the Perkins engine. That makes more sense with a 1971 model. I'd suggest de-greasing and maybe power washing the engine to get rid of excess oil, then run it to see exactly where it's coming from.

Took the hood and gas tank off tonight. The valve cover is dry. Degreased the area between the head and the block (on the distributer side) just to watch it fill with oil and run down the block again. I do own a power washer and will be blasting the motor on sunday. Can the head gasket blow to a degree that lets oil leak out? Thanks

Power washed the motor yesterday. Started it this morning (after having to clean out the carb) and saw that the head gasket is blown. It is blowing compression out on the rear cylinder, along with oil. I also saw about a 1 1/2 inch crack in the head, not near any edges but on the exaust side of the head. The motor is due for a rebuild anyway, which I will be starting on soon. Im sure I will find alot more issues while Im in the motor. While looking through all three spark plug holes, I could see oil pooled on top of all three pistons lol. Im not sure that its ever been rebuilt, will there be signs of it if it has? The motor ia an AG3-152. I see piston and sleeve kits for around 500.00. Anything I should look for or pay special attention to? Thanks

Well, I was wrong again. The head gasket looks good, in fact it looks new. I see a mark on the center piston from hitting the valve, but the valves look good. Im guessing a previous owner had the head off to do a valve job. The exhaust manifold is so plugged up from burnt oil, Im sure the flow is really restricted, and I think what I was seeing was exaust blowby and oil leaking on the rear exaust port. It looks like the exhaust manifold opening is about as big around as a nickle lol. The piston tops however look really clean, as does the exhaust ports on the head. Shouldnt they be pretty crusted as well? I took some pics, can you tell by looking if this is a sign of bad rings? Is it possible that the restricted exaust can cause too much crank case pressue, forcing oil past the rings? Also I noticed a little side to side to side slop in the pistons, and can see a little of the top ring. How much movement should be in the pistons if everything was "normal"? Thanks again!

Attachments

• DSCF0024.JPG
    DSCF0024.JPG
    609.4 KB · Views: 3,201
  • DSCF0036.JPG
    DSCF0036.JPG
    613.1 KB · Views: 1,143
  • DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    612.3 KB · Views: 5,644
  • DSCF0034.JPG
    DSCF0034.JPG