massey 135 help

/ massey 135 help #1  

Jam579

I have a (I think 1972) Massey Ferguson 135. 3 cylinder gas (2wd).
I have been having trouble with the rear lift arms raisin and lowering. They seem to have slow and weak operation. Lifting them with blade/mower attached doesn't seem to make much difference. The fast/slow lever on the right side doesn't seem to respond either way it is positioned.

I was told that the hydraulic lift pump filter could be dirty, but I can't find it on my service manual, nor can I find any insturctions on the net how to remove and clean it.

If that doesn't not fix it, any ideas on what would?

Please Help!

Thanks in advance.

/ massey 135 help #2  
To access filter/screen; Drain some (most) of the oil from rear sump. Remove round access cover that also is home to the PTO shifter. A very agile hand can then access the screen from that point. It's a bear to get at. Be sure to saftey wire it back on when you remove it.

You MIGHT have a weak pump. You MIGHT have leaking lift cylinder. You MIGHT have deteriorated oil. You MIGHT have a combination of all 3.

I'd start with cleaning/changing the filter, flushing the system, and putting in NEW oil. Make certain you get the correct oil. I use Pennzoil Hy Tran in my 150. To flush, drain all the old oil. Let it drip dry. Re-install drain plugS (as in BOTH plugs. You won't get all the old oil with just one drain plug) Pour in 4 or 5 gallons of diesel fuel. Start tractor. drive slowly and without a load for a few minutes. You can even cycle the lift once or twice. Lower lift, then drain all the fuel. (Again, BOTH plugs) Let that drip dry. Re-install plugs and fill with correct oil. It's right at 8 gallons to fill. I've done dozens of 100 series Massey's with that procedure. Works like a charm! Diesel won't hurt anything so long as you don't run it under heavy load or for prolonged period of time. You'll be shocked and amazed at the volume of "corruption" that'll flush out.

/ massey 135 help
Thank you very much for your advice. I will be looking into cleaning the filter and system. Hopefully that makes it work right.

I did start the tractor today on about a 60degree day and after it warmed up a bit it seemed to go up farily well with no load but the lowering was still very slow with or without adjusting the slow/fast lever on the right.

Thanks

Josh McDowell

/ massey 135 help #4  
Thank you very much for your advice. I will be looking into cleaning the filter and system. Hopefully that makes it work right.

I did start the tractor today on about a 60degree day and after it warmed up a bit it seemed to go up farily well with no load but the lowering was still very slow with or without adjusting the slow/fast lever on the right.

Thanks

Josh McDowell

That may not be so out of the ordinary either. The lift on my 150 goes down very slow with no load. It has from new.

Just a thought....Do you know what kind of oil you have in the hydraulic sump? (weight?) I've worked on more than one 100 series that had slow balky hyrdaulics just to find 90wt gear oil in the rear end. That'll slow 'em down considerably. It SHOULD by Hy-tran/Universal tractor hydraulic fluid, which is considerably thinner.

Last edited:
   / massey 135 help
I will need to do some investigation into what oil was use. I have only had the tractor since Aug.
I will be flushing the oil out and put the right stuff back in.

thanks

/ massey 135 help #6  
does anybody know (just a ball park figure)what a rebuild on a 135 would run it has a knock and only about 20 lbs oil preasure .

/ massey 135 help #7  
does anybody know (just a ball park figure)what a rebuild on a 135 would run it has a knock and only about 20 lbs oil preasure .

My 1964 MF-135 diesel that I bought in Jul06 had 60 psi oil pressure when I got it. Last year the oil pressure dropped to about 10 psi. So I drained the oil, put in new oil (cheap kind) with a quart of transmission fluid. Ran the tractor for a few minutes. Drained and repeated. Refilled with new good oil. Now I'm back to 60 psi. Crud in the oil pump intake filter probably.

Can't help you with the knock or engine rebuild. Sorry.

/ massey 135 help #8  

I bought a 135 w/trashed Perkins diesel a few weeks ago. I WAS going to buy a re-man long block. My mechanic is caught up on everything at the moment, so we decided he'd rebuild the old engine. Complete kit, machine work, misc. supplies, and NO labor (other than machine shop) so far, we're at $1290. It should fire up early next week if all goes well. (price doesn't include new clutch)

/ massey 135 help #9  
I bought a 135 w/trashed Perkins diesel a few weeks ago.

Good Afternoon Bill,
Do you have any idea what your gonna do with yet another tractor ? ;):)

/ massey 135 help #10  
Good Afternoon Bill,
Do you have any idea what your gonna do with yet another tractor ? ;):)

I have this big ol' sign in the garage;
FOR SALE BY OWNER
Might not need it though. I have 2 potential buyers on the hook already!