MF 135 AG3-152

/ MF 135 AG3-152 #1  

Texas Blues

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey 1655 Ford 1700 2cyl, Ford 1600 2cyl Massey 135 3cyl gas
Looking for serial number information on the Perkins 3cyl gas motor. I saw posts that had links to the Perkins page that showed serial number information, but all I ever saw was post 1974. Does anyone know where there is serial number information pre 1974? Trying to determine some specks on my cracked block. The numbers I see on the upper right side of my block are.........
152 UA
111 02 A
These numbers are not raised lettering, but stamped in. There are raised casting numbers on the left side of the block, and they are.....
37111500/2 and in another spot on the left......CKN1842
I have been told by the Massey dealed the stamped in numbers are the correct identification numbers, not the raised cast ones. I know the tractor is a 1970 or 1971 model (sorry I dont have the tractor serial number in front of me). Anyhow, any ideas on those above numbers? Thanks in advance! TB

/ MF 135 AG3-152 #2  
In the UK early numbers were stamped into a flat area on the block above the injector pump. Later versions were stamped on the other side of the block forward and above starter motor. I am not sure but is is possible the change co-insides with change from rope seal to lip seal blocks.I guess you mean AD3 152.

/ MF 135 AG3-152
No Fergie, it is a gas motor AG3-152. Diesel would be a AD3-152. Thanks!

/ MF 135 AG3-152 #4  
152 UA is the engine model, 111 02 A is the engine ser#.
As far as i know they only made the one AG3 152 engine for the 135's.
What specs are ya lookin for ?

/ MF 135 AG3-152
Thanks JJ actually the dealer was asking me what the specs and serial numbers were on the block. I guess maybe he thought there were differences in the blocks. I think you may be right about only one type of perkins 3cyl gas. I did find by looking in the agco parts book, that the perkins 3cyl gas has the same block and crank part numbers as the perkins 3 cyl diesel. At any rate, the ferguson dealer called today to tell me he has not found anything yet. I did however find a core block at a diesel repair shop he will sell for 300.00. I think I will jump on that before its too late. He seemed pretty knowledgeable about those motors, and says his is a good block. Will call him tomorrow. He said it was already stripped of the crank and timing covers ect. just the bare block.

/ MF 135 AG3-152 #6  
I believe that when Massey bought Perkins they started making the 3 cyl gas using the diesel block. Reasonably sure that they did not go through the expense of a different casting or machining :p
regards

/ MF 135 AG3-152 #7  
The AD3-152 and the AG3-152 share a long list of parts. Block, crankshaft, conn rods, wrist pins, timing gears, oil pump, even rocker arms have same part #'s. There are of course a few different parts, but in theory, you could strip all the "gas only" parts off and bolt "diesel only" parts on in their place and fire up a working engine. That commonality of parts was by design, in an attempt to build the most economical AND reliable small engine on the market. Massey Ferguson owned Perkins at the time. Massey's sales of gas powered tractors was primarily limited to the US market. The cost involved for designing a seperate engine, and then all the tooling and production costs would have made a "clean slate" gasser too cost prohibitive. By using existing parts and a VERY popular engine as a basis, MF/Perkins AG3-152 was a real bargain.

The only SIGNIFICANT change in block that would effect using a replacement block is the type of rear oil pan gasket. A rope seal was used early on in production but was changed to a different designed fiber gasket at a point roughly in the middle of 1970 production year. You would need to identify which block you have (by engine serial #) and use correct pan gasket accordingly. My parts manual for the Perkins engines used in 100 series tractors list's the break point ONLY by tractor serial #'s and NOT with engine serial #'s.

/ MF 135 AG3-152
Thanks farm, I called the guy this morning and luckily he still had the block. I told him I would take it and be up there to pick it up soon. Sorry I dont have the tractor serial number in front of me, but from what I remember it was a 1970 or 1971 model. I think the serial number started with a 9A....... It had the longer string serial number than the earlier numbers. I can post the full number when I get home tonight if it will help. Thanks again. TB

/ MF 135 AG3-152 #9  
From '66 on, all 100 series tractors had serial #'s beginning with "9A". If you're getting a block from a '70's model, you'll no doubt have the later style rear lip seal on the oil pan. Other than that, the blocks should be the same.

/ MF 135 AG3-152
Thanks Farm, here is the serial number from the tractor dash and the number on the oil pan....
tractor dash 9AI05698 I think I remeber reading that the "I" was considered a 1, would that be correct?
and then the oil pan 37171790 and under that number is SFAR and lastly under that is 24 2
If this block I am going to get is an older block than what I already have, will the oil pan (and my crankshaft) I have be compatable as far as the seals you were talking about? Thanks, TB