New MF 135 owner

/ New MF 135 owner #1  

Sam in TN

Well I just got my new acquisition home. After a little online research it appears as if I am the proud owner of a 1973 industrial mf135. It has a 3 cylinder Perkins gas engine, and a 3 speed tranny with high/low. The tractor was originally yellow and has a hand and foot throttle. I know nothing about the recent history of this tractor, or even the last time it ran.

The tach does not work and shows 6000 hours. It does not appear to be burning any oil. There are no leaks anywhere which really surprised me, and all fluids are full and clean. The main problem is it sputters when i apply throttle and sometimes backfires when i take it back to idle. Also blows quite a bit of grayish white smoke while reving. If I pull the choke lever about half way out it runs allot better, almost normal. A full tune up is in order as well as draining replacing all fluids but I wanted to concentrate on this problem first.

I uploaded a video so you could hear what it was doing and maybe offer a starting point on troubleshooting this issue. Here is the link:YouTube - MF 135

/ New MF 135 owner #2  
Well I just got my new acquisition home. After a little online research it appears as if I am the proud owner of a 1973 industrial mf135. It has a 3 cylinder Perkins gas engine, and a 3 speed tranny with high/low. The tractor was originally yellow and has a hand and foot throttle. I know nothing about the recent history of this tractor, or even the last time it ran.

The tach does not work and shows 6000 hours. It does not appear to be burning any oil. There are no leaks anywhere which really surprised me, and all fluids are full and clean. The main problem is it sputters when i apply throttle and sometimes backfires when i take it back to idle. Also blows quite a bit of grayish white smoke while reving. If I pull the choke lever about half way out it runs allot better, almost normal. A full tune up is in order as well as draining replacing all fluids but I wanted to concentrate on this problem first.

I uploaded a video so you could hear what it was doing and maybe offer a starting point on troubleshooting this issue. Here is the link:YouTube - MF 135

Nice tractor. Nice paint job. My MF-135 diesel is a 1964 model.
Yeh, looks like you'll be rebuilding that carburetor. Have fun.

/ New MF 135 owner #3  
Nice tractor! Sounds like either a vacuum leak or carb problem. Perkins engines are very good motors. I bought a used 1964 MF 135 Perkins diesel with 1,300 hours in 1980 and worked it for 27 years. Ran like new when I sold it. I also had an Oliver OC-3 track loader with a Perkins gas motor for a few years. Perkins motors are ruff and tough. Spend a couple of dollars and rebuild the carb and do a tune up. You will love the 135. There is no other tractor like it.

/ New MF 135 owner
Thanks for the reasurance. I was hoping it would be something simple. Just didn't want to spend more money if it was a lost cause. So where do I find a rebuild kit and instructions to do it? I've done a few holley's and edelbrocks in my time but never a tractor. Can I download a manual for this or do I need to buy one off ebay?

Edited to ask if this carb rebuild kit will work. It's one of the cheapest I have found yet and I can pick it up localy. It says it is for 50, TO35, MF35, MH50, MF50, MF135, 150, 202, 204, 2135 so should work. What do you all think? http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_33732_-1______14345%7C14397%7C14413%7C33732?listingPage=true&Special=false

Or this one from eBay, which is about the same price just have to wait on delivery.http://cgi.ebay.com/Carburetor-Repair-Kit-TO35-F40-MH50-MF50-MF135-MF150_W0QQitemZ290314311985QQihZ019QQcategoryZ71374QQssPageNameZWD4VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em124

Last edited:
   / New MF 135 owner #5  
Thanks for the reasurance. I was hoping it would be something simple. Just didn't want to spend more money if it was a lost cause. So where do I find a rebuild kit and instructions to do it? I've done a few holley's and edelbrocks in my time but never a tractor. Can I download a manual for this or do I need to buy one off ebay?

Check this website for 135 parts

Discount Tractor Parts and Manuals for Older and Antique Tractors

You can get manuals from several sources:

Massey Ferguson Farm Tractor Repair, Shop, Service and Maintenance Manuals

Tractor Manual Shop - Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manuals

You'll find I&T manuals from almost every vendor. These are OK, but IMHO it's better to get
genuine MF service and parts manuals. eBay is a good place to start.

/ New MF 135 owner #6  
Carb rebuild, and also, check the gas in the tank....Old gas'll make 'em run snotty too. Check air filter as well as hose from filter to carb. Seen 'em with mouse nest's, ect,....

Perkins engines are tougher'n a $2 steak! Get it running right and you'll love it!

As mentioned, get the MF/AGCO manuals. (Owners, Service, and parts) I&T manuals for the Masseys are lacking in information as well as I've found some inaccuracies. The parts manual is as handy as the other two. (Exploded views of sub assemblies)

I just caught up on a few other threads.....I see where you posted about a successful haul home! Glad that worked out.

You asked a question in THAT thread that I'll try to answer here....You inquired as to live power or not. The "econo" version available WITHOUT live power came ONLY with the Continental engine models earlier in the production. Those tractors came with a Continental Z134 and the live power versions came with Continental Z145's. Once Perkins gassers were used, the single stage clutch version was discontinued. So....You have EITHER a 2-stage clutch OR independent PTO. For the most part, ind. pto's came only with tractors equipped w/MultiPower.

Last edited:
   / New MF 135 owner #7  
Nice tractor Sam! If you have rebuilt carbs on a car than that carb will be a breeze, there is not much to them. The kit is a minimal cost, mays well get the OEM Ferguson kit. If that current problem is all that is wrong with it, you have it made! Again, nice looking 135, maybe post some pictures from both sides? Thanks, TB

/ New MF 135 owner #8  
The main problem is it sputters when i apply throttle and sometimes backfires when i take it back to idle.

Check out the timing and ignition system.:D

/ New MF 135 owner #9  
Do the MF135 live power versions that came with Continental Z145's have an independent PTO option or was it only 2-stage clutch?

/ New MF 135 owner #10  
Do the MF135 live power versions that came with Continental Z145's have an independent PTO option or was it only 2-stage clutch?

Depends.....Most 3X2 speeds, and the 4X2 speeds have 2-stage clutch. SOME MultiPower have 2-stage, and many have independent. I've never seen a non- MultiPower 100 series w/independent pto, and my manuals don't list them as available in that configuration, but anything is possible I suppose.