Oil & Fuel 135 Diesel stuck in Reverse gear

/ 135 Diesel stuck in Reverse gear #1  

muddwhumper

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson
I have the 6(?) speed transmission. 3 forward 1 reverse X High/Low. I went to bush hog a ring around my hayfield and I couldn't get it out of reverse. I put it neutral, and pushed the tractor forward, then drove around in Reverse to see if it would loosen. NO LUCK. I did a google search about it and some posts in ytmag said something about sticking a screw driver in the oil refill hole and somehow pry the forks apart so the rail can come back forward. (I think thats close to what they said)

What do you guys think. I am not very mechanically inclined but I have the MF manual and Parts book and have some friends who will help.

/ 135 Diesel stuck in Reverse gear #2  
Find a level spot, turn off engine, pull filler plug, push down clutch and put hi/low in neutral, look inside you will see a large gear, with a large screwdriver pry the gear forward if stuck in reverse, you should feel the detent balls pop in the grooves in the shift rail as you move it, if ya go too far just pry it back, the idea is to get it in the center. To prevent further problems get into the habit of using down pressure when shifting

/ 135 Diesel stuck in Reverse gear #3  
What they said is exactly what I used to do, had a ferguson 35 that would lock up in 2nd as I remember.

Might take a bit as the reverse rail is on the right side as I remember. Just open up the fill hole and move the forks, should pop right out.

/ 135 Diesel stuck in Reverse gear #4  
This happens sometimes on a MF135. Not a big deal. As the others suggested remove the large flanged plug on top of the transmission between your feet and take a screwdriver to slide the gears. It doesn't take much force. After you have had the 135 a while you will get a "feel" on the shifter knowing that you are going hang it between gears. I did this a couple of times when I first got my 135 and after I learned the feel of hanging it up I ran it for twenty years and never hung it up again. Mine was a six speed also.

/ 135 Diesel stuck in Reverse gear
It worked--I can't believe I actually fixed it. Thanks for the help.

Now all I have to do is put the fenders and hood back on, re-connect the battery, rewire the gauges that I disconnected so I could access the transmission cover plate for the steering wheel and levers. Put the steering wheel back on after I find the little slotted key I lost taking the wheel off. Aaahhhh the joys of learning. LOL

/ 135 Diesel stuck in Reverse gear #6  
You will love the 135. It's what got me addicted to tractors. There is nothing else made like it. It can hold it's own with the new compacts. My new Kubota can do a little more work in a day but not much more than my old 1964 MF 135. The 135 is one of the best mowing tractors ever made. It sticks like glue on hills.

/ 135 Diesel stuck in Reverse gear #7  
I have the 6(?) speed transmission. 3 forward 1 reverse X High/Low. What they said is exactly what i did and it went to far and now it is stuck in forward