Oil & Fuel Mf 135 rear oil seal?

/ Mf 135 rear oil seal? #1  

Kenfyoozed

Silver Member
Tractor
1974 MF135
Title should read ... Mf 135 rear axle oil seal.
I took my rear wheels off to get new tires. I had cut some branches, and attempted to "haul" them with the boc blade. One got caught between the lift arm box blade and tire, the tire lost. So as I took the tire off I thought I would check the brakes and then...... wow!

I assume the axle seals are leaking. I read on here that only one seal needs to be replaced. Is this true? I am fairly mechanical inclined, but tool poor. I have the basic hand tools but no press or the larger items. I am willing to tackle this job if I can. How involved is this?

/ Mf 135 rear oil seal? #2  
Title should read ... Mf 135 rear axle oil seal.
I took my rear wheels off to get new tires. I had cut some branches, and attempted to "haul" them with the boc blade. One got caught between the lift arm box blade and tire, the tire lost. So as I took the tire off I thought I would check the brakes and then...... wow!

I assume the axle seals are leaking. I read on here that only one seal needs to be replaced. Is this true? I am fairly mechanical inclined, but tool poor. I have the basic hand tools but no press or the larger items. I am willing to tackle this job if I can. How involved is this?

There's an outer seal and an inner seal on the axle with a bearing/collar/retainer between the seals. You have to jack up the rear, remove the wheel and pull the rear axle shaft assembly. Not very difficult. The inner seal is easy to replace--just slide it off the axle shaft or dig it out of its recess in the axle housing. Replacing this seal my solve your problem.

If you have to replace the outer seal, you need to remove the bearing/collar/retainer. That's a tough job since the collar is a steel ring that's shrunk-fit on the axle shaft. You have to drill the collar and split it with a cape chisel. That's not too difficult. However, to install a new collar, you have to heat the collar to 800F and slip it onto the axle shaft and seat it against the bearing cone before it cools.

If the outer seal looks bad, I'd pull the axle assembly and take it to your local MF dealer to get that seal replaced. Good luck.

/ Mf 135 rear oil seal?
My neighbor came over and took a look at it. He knows alot, and has done most of tractor work. He said he "cut his teeth on an 'ol 135". He soon will be spliting his international to replace the clutches. He looked it over and said that since it wasn't dripping out onto the rim or tire, that he would buy a case of break clean , clean it up and run the "sonab!@#$". While I like the idea will this harm anything?

I assume if the oil is leaking, then the inner seal has definitely failed, correct? Replacing this seal should stop the oil leak, right? The outer seal holds the grease for the bearing, correct? How do you know if the outer seal is any good?

And what the heck is a cape chisel? I assume heating to 800* would be done with a torch? I have used this method in the past, up to 500* in the oven with bearings for a crankshaft on a motorcycle.

I dont know which way I should proceed.

/ Mf 135 rear oil seal? #4  
My neighbor came over and took a look at it. He knows alot, and has done most of tractor work. He said he "cut his teeth on an 'ol 135". He soon will be spliting his international to replace the clutches. He looked it over and said that since it wasn't dripping out onto the rim or tire, that he would buy a case of break clean , clean it up and run the "sonab!@#$". While I like the idea will this harm anything?

I assume if the oil is leaking, then the inner seal has definitely failed, correct? Replacing this seal should stop the oil leak, right? The outer seal holds the grease for the bearing, correct? How do you know if the outer seal is any good?

And what the heck is a cape chisel? I assume heating to 800* would be done with a torch? I have used this method in the past, up to 500* in the oven with bearings for a crankshaft on a motorcycle.

I dont know which way I should proceed.

If you see hydraulic fluid coming out of that axle, then I'd guess that both seals are leaking.
The transmission, differential and hydraulics on the 135 all run off a common supply of tractor trans/hydraulic fluid. The 135 holds 8 gallons of the stuff. Just make sure that what you see is trans/hyd fluid and not axle grease.

If I were you, I'd run the 135 for a while and watch the trans/hydr fluid level to see if it's losing fluid fast enough to bother with replacing axle seals. Of course, you probably will get the brake linings oiled up eventually.

Cape chisels:

Amazon.com: cape chisel - Tools & Home Improvement

/ Mf 135 rear oil seal?
The rear pto seal is leaking as well, so I thought since I have to drain the fluid to change the pto seal, I should change inner axle seals as well. I read a post from Big Dean saying it was rare for the outter seal to need replacing.

It seems easy enough to remove the 12 bolts for the axle and slide the axle out. Then remove the seal, replace, and reinstall axle. Seems to easy? Anything to watchout for? Nothing to drop inside axle housing?

/ Mf 135 rear oil seal? #6  
The rear pto seal is leaking as well, so I thought since I have to drain the fluid to change the pto seal, I should change inner axle seals as well. I read a post from Big Dean saying it was rare for the outter seal to need replacing.

It seems easy enough to remove the 12 bolts for the axle and slide the axle out. Then remove the seal, replace, and reinstall axle. Seems to easy? Anything to watchout for? Nothing to drop inside axle housing?

The pto seal is leaking on my 1964 MF-135 diesel also. Need to fix this eventually. The parts are not expensive and are available at MF dealers or online. Just be prepared for potential problems (stuck/rusted bolts and/or nuts, etc). These old tractors sometimes make an easy job into a real hassle because of dumb stuff like stuck parts.

/ Mf 135 rear oil seal? #7  
How do you do the right hand axle if the tractor is equiped with a locking rear end - the shop manual I have indicates you cannot remove the right axle without causing the locking mechanism to come off and then having to pull apart the rear end to fix - any thoughts?

Thanks