MF 135 and Ford 601 test run

/ MF 135 and Ford 601 test run #1  

Reg312

Tractor
JD 322 - AC 712 && 912 - Snapper ZTR
Test drove a MF 135 today and Ford 601. MF looked much better, priced higher but can a 6' tall person comfortably operate it? Clutch placement is ridiculous or is it just me? I'll assume that you use your heel and not toe. But I felt like i was wedged in a tin can compared to the Ford. Is it me or is this normal? MF owners here claim easy to repair so I want to lean towards the MF.

/ MF 135 and Ford 601 test run #2  
Test drove a MF 135 today and Ford 601. MF looked much better, priced higher but can a 6' tall person comfortably operate it? Clutch placement is ridiculous or is it just me? I'll assume that you use your heel and not toe. But I felt like i was wedged in a tin can compared to the Ford. Is it me or is this normal? MF owners here claim easy to repair so I want to lean towards the MF.

I have a 1964 MF-135 diesel that I bought in Jul06 ($3600).
Yes, the clutch is unusual and, at first, uncomfortable, since you have to push down vertically rather than forward and down. Took me a short time to get use to the feel.

Just looking at the 601 and comparing to the 135, you ride those two tractors about the same---legs straddling the transmission, small foot rests.

Maybe the seat on the 135 needs to be adjusted to accommodate your height. A 6-footer should be able to ride the 135 in comfort.

/ MF 135 and Ford 601 test run #3  

The pedal configuration on the 100 series Massey's is different than anyone elses. They take a little getting used to at first, but after you run 'em for a while, all the others seem odd. The clutch pedal is ALMOST impossible to "ride" for prolonged periods. Seat adjustment is critical to being comfortable. By playing around with seat position, you can end up with a decent "fit". I'm 6'-5" and have spent the past 38 years with a MF150 (VERY simular to a 135) I'd rather run that tractor than any of my others. It just feels more "natural". ('79 Deere 2440, '80 Deere 2640, '07 Deere 6430, two '08 MF 583's, two '08 Deere 6430's)

/ MF 135 and Ford 601 test run
Thanks for weighing in FWJ. You advised me some time ago that a 2 wd would be just as useful as a 4wd compact. And MF was top of your list. For the slope work i plan on doing, I think the lower wider stance of these older tractors will be much safer. I guess I'll go check out that MF 135 again. 2500 hours - decent shape - asking $4900. I think thats a bit high??

/ MF 135 and Ford 601 test run #5  
The pedal configuration on the 100 series Massey's is different than anyone elses. They take a little getting used to at first, but after you run 'em for a while, all the others seem odd. The clutch pedal is ALMOST impossible to "ride" for prolonged periods. Seat adjustment is critical to being comfortable. By playing around with seat position, you can end up with a decent "fit". I'm 6'-5" and have spent the past 38 years with a MF150 (VERY simular to a 135) I'd rather run that tractor than any of my others. It just feels more "natural". ('79 Deere 2440, '80 Deere 2640, '07 Deere 6430, two '08 MF 583's, two '08 Deere 6430's)

Hey Bill,

Is the clutch configuration on the 100 series the same as our trusty ol' 35??

/ MF 135 and Ford 601 test run #6  
I have ran both a MF 135 and a Ford 640 (which is basically the same as the 601 as far as the operators platform is). The Ford is a little roomier but I never had any problems running the 135 either and I am 6' tall. I think you sit a little lower on the 135 then you do the Fords which is good and bad. Either way buy the tractor that you are most comfortable operating and that meets your needs.