135 Front Axle Pivot Pin

/ 135 Front Axle Pivot Pin #1  

Texas Blues

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey 1655 Ford 1700 2cyl, Ford 1600 2cyl Massey 135 3cyl gas
Any of you folks ever have to change the front axle pivot bushing in a 135? I tried to drive the pin out while I had it apart, it wouldnt move. I have a feeling its going to need heat and a press to get that pivot pin out. It's the swept back axle type. Anybody ever do this? Thanks TB

/ 135 Front Axle Pivot Pin #2  
Good Evenin TB,
I know absolutely nothin about a Massey 135 ! But when I rebuilt my 49 Super A I had to make a new pivot pin because mine was a bit worn and slightly bent. The pivot pin had two bolts then held it in position using two scallops in the shaft. This prevented the pin from moving fowards or backwards. The housing that held the pin had two bronze bushings, once the bolts were removed and the weight taken off the tractor the pin could be easily driven out. Thus releasing the front axle assembly from the tractor. Im not sure your tractor is like that but it maybe.

My buddy FWJ, would certainly be able to answer that question. In any event a manual would help, and im sure some of the guys that have that tractor will certainly be able to help you out !

Good luck ! :)

/ 135 Front Axle Pivot Pin #3  
Any of you folks ever have to change the front axle pivot bushing in a 135? I tried to drive the pin out while I had it apart, it wouldnt move. I have a feeling its going to need heat and a press to get that pivot pin out. It's the swept back axle type. Anybody ever do this? Thanks TB

TB:
Haven't removed the pivot pin on my 1964 MF-135 diesel yet.
The I&T manual just says to remove the pin--implying that it's supposed to slip out of the bushings once the fasteners are removed.

A few months ago I did remove the front axle on my 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF. Fortunately, the pivot pin on that tractor came right out without any persuasion.

Looks like you may have to drive that pin out. If it's rusted, I'd try to loosen it with a 50:50 mix of ATF and acetone.

/ 135 Front Axle Pivot Pin #4  
It SHOULD be easy to remove. They're USUALLY quite ugly to remove (if worn excessively) No tricks, just a lot of bad words when I've taken 'em out.

Heat CAN help (or not)

Big hammer helps (or not)