Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Gas

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Gas #1  

fishingbucks

I just bought a 1970 135 with a 3 cylinder Perkins gas. The fellow I bought it from had already broken it down ready to rebuild it. Obviously, I bought it in several hundred peices.

It came with a new rebuild kit including new pistons, sleeves, rings, rod and main bearings, and gaskets. It looks like the crank is going to need to be turned so I will have to buy new bearings.

He actually started to rebuild it and broke one of the sleeves. He decided to stop there.

My question is other the the I & T Shop manual, is there any literature or even better, pictures and/or video of a 3 cyl Perkins Gas being rebuilt anywhere? I have found a lot on the diesel but no the gas. Is the gas burner a lemon?

This tractor is in very good shape and I got a very good deal on it. I've already been offered more for it at a salvage yard than I paid for it.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Gas #2  
I have the same thing except a 71 model. I rebuilt the motor recently. The motor is not a lemon, it is the same block as the diesel perkins and shares alot of internal parts. I had my crank turned at an authorized perkins shop. He matched the bearings with his cut, and everything is good. I had to replace the block because it had a big crack, I got lucky in that the perkins guy just happen to have a reconditioned block with the sleeves already installed. It was set to be used as a diesel, but it is the same block/sleeves as a gasser. I would take the block to a massey dealer or perkins shop and let them pull the sleeves and install new ones, that way you only pay for 3 sleeves and labor instead of however many you might break trying it yourself. Getting the sleeves in and out is trickey and is best left to a shop that has the right tools. The IT manual is crap. I know, I have one and it is no more that "highlights". I would spend the money and but an official Massey repair manual. I may be able to answer specific questions about the rebuild, I did all the assembly work (and disassembly) and putting the motor back on the tractor with a new clutch. The head was already worked, so I did not do anything with it, but may need to in the future. Here is just a few pics of the process, I have lots, if there is anything you might want to see. I have a ways to go with other work on the tractor. Good Luck, TB

Attachments

• DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    605.4 KB · Views: 2,192
  • DSCF0020.JPG
    DSCF0020.JPG
    602.8 KB · Views: 1,460
  • DSCF0084.JPG
    DSCF0084.JPG
    630.8 KB · Views: 2,510
  • DSCF0041.JPG
    DSCF0041.JPG
    610.5 KB · Views: 717
  • DSCF0106.JPG
    DSCF0106.JPG
    626.1 KB · Views: 5,483
   / Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Gas
I was wondering if anyone can tell me the correct rotation of the engine (clockwise or counterwise). My dad and I are trying to install the cam, distributor, and idler gear. We are a bit confused about the wording in the genuine MF overhaul manual regarding the engine rotation. We think we figured it out but would like a second opinion.

We think this is correct after troubleshooting. When looking at the front of the engine with the timing cover off (where all the timing gears are), the engine rotation of the crank should be clockwise correct? That means the rotor button will turn counter clockwise in the distributor. That's the only way we could make sense out of the cam gear lobes with the intake and exhaust valves opening and closing at the correct time.

First, we kept turning the crank counter clockwise to get the rotor to turn clockwise because the manual said the distributor rotation is clockwise from the drive end (that's what confused us). Are we right now or not?

One other thing. The dots on the idler gear that line up with the crank, cam, and distributor gear will only line up the first time correct? Its just a reference to get everything right the first time. Someone help please

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Gas #4  
Hi fish, saw your email and responded. The crank turns clockwise, which turns the big idler counter, which turns the cam and distributer gears clockwise. I believe the rotor in the distributor will be turning counter. Easy enough to tell by just turning the motor over by hand (clocwise on the lower crank pully) enough to see the rotor move. I do not remember for sure doing this to find out myself, but must have to get the firing order right. Firing order should be 1,2,3 and my wires are in a counter order starting with no. 1 wire. See pic above. Good luck, TB

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Gas #5  
And yes the marks will only line up every 17 rotations (something like that cant remember without looking in the book). As long as they are all aligned when you put it together, and the flywheel timing marks are at tdc, and then drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing towards the number one spark plug wire, you should have a good starting point. And of course you will have to adjust the dist one way or the other to set the timing closer once it starts. TB