Massey 135

/ Massey 135 #1  

moggie4000

Hi All,

I have a Massey Ferguson 135. I bought a new battery for her the other day as the old one was dead. When i put the battery in, it started fine and i drove it for a while. When i got back i took the leads off the battery as i new i wouldn't be using it for a week or so. But i did need it the next day, when once again the NEW battery was dead.

I'm thinking they're might be a short somewhere that's draining the battery but
not sure what's wrong with it, any ideas?

/ Massey 135 #2  
This 135 you have is it a gas or diesel? If it is a gas the alternator or generator might not be working and it won't take the ignition system long to drain the battery under load. Does your ammeter work? If so how accurate do you think it is?

/ Massey 135
This 135 you have is it a gas or diesel? If it is a gas the alternator or generator might not be working and it won't take the ignition system long to drain the battery under load. Does your ammeter work? If so how accurate do you think it is?

It's a diesel. I think i will recharge the battery and then disconnect the altenator over night and then see what happens with the battery.

Do you think it could be the altenator?

/ Massey 135 #4  
It could be the rectifier or the diode trio in the alternator. The 135 I have had a generator and I added a alternator but still running it through the regulator. I left the battery connected for about a week and it went dead. Not sure if it the alternator or the voltage regulator. I just disconnect the battery now.

/ Massey 135 #5  
Disconnecting the battery after use would eliminate any draw on the battery while sitting. Unless the charging system was somehow draining the battery while you were using it, I cant see why it would be dead after only one use. Are all the connections clean and tight? Was the motor turning over at all the next day, or was there no power at all? I would check all related connections and put a meter on the battery to see how many volts it shows before you try to start it. It is possible the new battery is defective, but if its the same symptons as the old battery then there is something else going on. Good Luck TB

/ Massey 135 #6  
If you have a good starter/gen repair shop neaby, they can bench test it and tell you if it is the diodes, in just a few seconds.