MF 135 PTO seal

/ MF 135 PTO seal #1  

Rick Koudys

Hi Guys I have a MF 135 with a very bad PTO seal. I also have the repair manual for a 35. not sure if its different from a 135. Anyway a friend told us that a shifter had to be engaged or disengaged to prevent an internal gear form falling out of position when the PTO shaft is removed. The book says just remove the the flange and pull it out.

Also the last person who worked on this tractor said the PTO shaft is badly pitted where the seal rubs. Has any one had any experience with epoxy type repair.

( Sorry for the bad grammar some one put my keyboard in french mode now the question mark is some sort of accent ノ )

/ MF 135 PTO seal #2  
Yes, you need to put the PTO lever in "ground speed" to prevent the drive gear sliding off the shaft before pulling the pto shaft, i would replace it if damaged, don't forget to drain the oil:)

/ MF 135 PTO seal #3  
Hi Rick,

I have seen people use the SKF Speedi-sleeves to repair a badly scored shaft. Hopefully they are made in a size that will work for you. They are not cheap but compared to the cost of a new PTO shaft they might seem like a bargain. I think they were about $ 50.00 on the Mcmaster-Carr website, but my local bearing house said they can save me a bunch of money on them.

Here is a link to the Speedi-Slevees:

SKF Speedi-Sleeve Installation

Bruce

/ MF 135 PTO seal #4  
Hi Rick,

I have seen people use the SKF Speedi-sleeves to repair a badly scored shaft. Hopefully they are made in a size that will work for you. They are not cheap but compared to the cost of a new PTO shaft they might seem like a bargain. I think they were about $ 50.00 on the Mcmaster-Carr website, but my local bearing house said they can save me a bunch of money on them.

Here is a link to the Speedi-Slevees:

SKF Speedi-Sleeve Installation

Bruce

Bruce is on the money - Speedie Sleeves will restore your shaft to as good as new, I can't recall coming across a shaft for which there isn't a sleeve.

Not familiar with your tractor but if you don't mind wrecking the old seal I would think you could pry out the old seal without removing the shaft. Then fit a sleeve and new seal in situ.

/ MF 135 PTO seal
Thanks for your help Rick

/ MF 135 PTO seal #6  
G'day unfortunately you cannot pry the seal out insitu you will have to pull the flange off and as said earlier a speedy sleeve will fix your shaft you may need to make up an extension for the installation tool also if you get a new seal that is made from leather the you need to soak it in eng oil overnight or it will burn out in no time good luck with it

Jon