power steering problem on a 135

/ power steering problem on a 135 #1  

pfestus1

Tractor
1954 Ford NAA
I hope some one can shed some light on my problem as I try to get my 1974 135 back in service. (3 cyl. gas with power steering). During a recent snow storm as I was pushing snow, something "popped" in the power steering box, and then the tractor would not turn left at all. I managed to get it back to the shed where I took the battery out and looked at the top of the power steering box. The cover plate on the steering box was broken, and part of the case was broke with it. I understand that this is a not too uncommon problem. I found a used complete steering box and swapped it out for my box. Got the tractor all back together, and running. Now I have power assist turning right, but only manual steering turning left. The place I bought the used steering box from said he ran the tractor it came off of, and it appeared to steer good both directions before he took it off. Any suggestions on what the problem might be, and where I go from here? Thanks a lot.
Hank P.
Copper Hill, VA

/ power steering problem on a 135 #2  
G'day Hank adjust the small link that goes into the valve, don't know which way you will have to go as it sounds to me that you are not activating the valve in both directions. You do not need to adjust it far as they are pretty sensitive thus this is why they don't work properly when the little pins wear. Good luck

Jon

/ power steering problem on a 135
Thanks Banjo,
Just to be clear I have attached a picture, is the adjuster you mention right above the steering arm:

Attachments

• 786379094_w2Bgm-S.jpg
    786379094_w2Bgm-S.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3,231
   / power steering problem on a 135 #4  
G'day no it is not that adj you should have a small valve that is operated by a link rod that moves up and down slightly as you turn the wheel from side to side it is that small linkage that you need to adj

Jon

Jon,
I'm not sure I see the adjustment you are referring too. Of course I'm not mechanically talented. Is it possible that Aussie MF 135s are different than the American market 135? Attached is a picture of the power steering box prior to removing it and replacing it with the used box. Maybe you can steer me towards the adjustment.
Thanks
Hank

Attachments

• P1130405.jpg
    P1130405.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 3,153
  • P1130404.jpg
    P1130404.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 5,028
  • P1130403.jpg
    P1130403.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 3,462
   / power steering problem on a 135 #6  
My apologies Hank you do have a different box to the one i am used to i will have to delve into my library to see if i have any info on the one you have got

Jon

/ power steering problem on a 135 #7  
G'day Hank i'm sorry but i cannot find anything on the system you have got it can't have been used over here hope you have some luck with some of the knowledgeable people on here. Have you tried lifting the f/end and turning the wheels from lock to lock with the eng running in case you have an air lock in the system that needs to bleed out ?

Jon

Jon,
I have tried what you suggest, to bleed air from the system, tho not with the front end lifted. I also have not run it for long due to the tractor being in a small enclosed space. I will try lifting the front end and turning the steering lock to lock some more, with the door open so I don't get gassed. Should the fill plug be off, loose, or tight, and removed periodically to let out the air?
Thanks for your help.
I also am going to contact the tractor junk yard and see if they will send me the main valve off my original steering box, maybe that valve in this one is wore.

/ power steering problem on a 135 #9  
G'day you should not have to leave the filler plug off just check to make sure the fluid is full

Jon

The continuing saga.... I did get some parts back from the tractor junk yard, that came off my originial steering box, the steering column and power steering valve. The trick is to remove the power steering valve with out losing a bunch of little springs and parts that will want to fall out of place. I was warned, but spilled those parts anyway. It was tricky to get it back together, but I managed.
First pic shows the steering column after I once again dissassembled the dash to get to it.
Second shows the power steering valve that had to be swapped.
Third shows the valve after removal. The 5 little round discs are what want to fall out and get lost. You can see one is missing. I got them all back in. Hopefully in right order.
Fourth its all back together. I ran it for a good while bleeding air out of the power steering system, and it does fell like I now have power steering turning right and left. Tomorrow I'm going to get it out and take a test ride. Gotta dig some snow out of the way to get it out though.

Attachments

• P2270449.jpg
    P2270449.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,963
  • P2270451.jpg
    P2270451.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 3,154
  • P2270453.jpg
    P2270453.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 2,065
  • P2270454.jpg
    P2270454.jpg