Massey-Ferguson 500-406 followed me home

/ Massey-Ferguson 500-406 followed me home #1  

JANDG

Bronze Member
I went to look at some free dirt down the road & made mistake of glancing over to see this on the backroad. Paid 1400.00 for it,drove it home & don't have a clue why I bought it as I allready have a new tractor. I think I will resale it in summer.
It is 12v. everything works fine. Wierd forward & reverse & jerky for me to run at least for now. Think is built like a dozer. It says Massey-Ferguson Industrial Division.Model # 500-406
Starts turn of a key, but this thing is way to heavy for use on my small 6 acre property. One of those things that you don't need& buy it anyway. Go figure.
Joe

Attachments

• DSC04643.JPG
    DSC04643.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC04638.JPG
    DSC04638.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC04639.JPG
    DSC04639.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 615
  • DSC04642.JPG
    DSC04642.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 594
   / Massey-Ferguson 500-406 followed me home #2  
I went to look at some free dirt down the road & made mistake of glancing over to see this on the backroad. Paid 1400.00 for it,drove it home & don't have a clue why I bought it as I allready have a new tractor. I think I will resale it in summer.
It is 12v. everything works fine. Wierd forward & reverse & jerky for me to run at least for now. Think is built like a dozer. It says Massey-Ferguson Industrial Division.Model # 500-406
Starts turn of a key, but this thing is way to heavy for use on my small 6 acre property. One of those things that you don't need& buy it anyway. Go figure.
Joe

Nice find. Hang on to it for a while--maybe you'll think of a project or two for it.

/ Massey-Ferguson 500-406 followed me home #3  
That's a unique piece for sure! Looks heavy as lead.

Been sitting here looking at the bucket arm linkage, I agree never seen anything quite like that.

/ Massey-Ferguson 500-406 followed me home
I have ID'ed the tractor finally after 3 weeks of seriouse searching, all in one day I ran into a 1960 ad for a MF 406 WorkBull & there it was. every detail was the same & then came across a recently posted pic of a restored one on another tractor site. So bought the AD & got manuals on the way since positive ID has been made. It is #27 built in the short lived series. The MF 500loader is also on the 303 WorkBull & 356 tractor shovel, they say rated for 5000lbs @full ht when new,I sure can't see that but well maybe. The main arms are telescopic.With loader on this thing is a mofo to work on.If I keep it will repaint for sure. Also the rear rims are held on by a single huge nut & axle is threaded & keyed. I better find a puller for the rim as it looks to be the only way to get them off. Also I found another ID plate on frame,it says
Massey-Ferguson Inc.
Racine, Wisconsin USA
Model.....nothing stamped or written here
Serial # 653-000027
The engine was ID'ed from a fella in TX,it is a E223 Continental gas, & 60.5 hp @ 1600rpm
It is a full 3 steps to get into this old unit.
Joe

/ Massey-Ferguson 500-406 followed me home #5  
Hi Jandg, I have just found your posts about your 500 loader. Am I correct in thinking that lifting ia achieved by extending the loader arms, which then pivot upwards, using the top linkage as an anchor point? It really is an interesting model! Nigel in Ireland.