Price Check Looking at MF 135, reasonable price?

/ Looking at MF 135, reasonable price? #1  

dwhiteykc

I've been researching this thing until my keyboard is worn out. Price seems a little high, but there's something to be said for the fact the tractor is less than a mile from my house (so I can delay buying a trailer!). Seller is firm at $4,500, owned Masseys his whole life and proud of how he takes care of them. Said was only selling this one b/c he's old and wants power steering! Its a 1974, 4cyl Continental gas engine, 12fwd/4rev, differential lock, adjustable hydraulics, 3 pt w sway bars, rear rubber is %90, one front tire is nearly shot, new boots on shift/trans, weight bracket, double clutch.

I was hoping this would fit my mowing needs, couple acres and a pond dam (low center tractor & should be enough hp on the PTO for a small sickle mower?)
The grass is growing and I need to get mowing!

Thanks

Attachments

• MF 135.jpg
    MF 135.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 439
   / Looking at MF 135, reasonable price? #2  
I've been researching this thing until my keyboard is worn out. Price seems a little high, but there's something to be said for the fact the tractor is less than a mile from my house (so I can delay buying a trailer!). Seller is firm at $4,500, owned Masseys his whole life and proud of how he takes care of them. Said was only selling this one b/c he's old and wants power steering! Its a 1974, 4cyl Continental gas engine, 12fwd/4rev, differential lock, adjustable hydraulics, 3 pt w sway bars, rear rubber is %90, one front tire is nearly shot, new boots on shift/trans, weight bracket, double clutch.

I was hoping this would fit my mowing needs, couple acres and a pond dam (low center tractor & should be enough hp on the PTO for a small sickle mower?)
The grass is growing and I need to get mowing!

Thanks

In Jul06 I paid $3600 for a 1964 MF-135 diesel Deluxe with multipower. It was really messy compared to the one you're looking at. The average retail (what dealers get on resale) for that tractor is about $3500 and the high retail is around $4000. So at $4500 you're paying a premium. How many hours on the tractormeter?

/ Looking at MF 135, reasonable price?
That's what I was afraid of - but trying to justify the extra $500 by not needing a trailer (or pay for any type of delivery). I need to call him back and see how many hours are on it, the one nugget of information I failed to get the first time. Judging by his attitude (and reputation) I won't likely get him down on the price...could maybe see if he has a mower/blade to throw in with it at best.

/ Looking at MF 135, reasonable price? #4  
had a '61 model massey 35 TO w/the 4cly Continental engine for 28 yrs. Very hard starting esp in cold, but once fired, very reliable & smooth. Radiator cooling fins get restricted in a hurry but the 135 model (mostly just a sheet metal difference) may have improved that. Some Continentals had a pre ign. fuel heating system in the intake, but probably rare here. The Perkins followed the Continential (3 cyl) and started much easier, also w/power steering. Anyway, i paid 3200 in 1979, so the price is ok i guess. good luck....btw, you'll need powerful batteries & good starter. bb

Flusher - finally got a hold of the seller and he ballparked the hours in the mid-2000s. This one has multipower as well.

big bubba - And I've seen him move it around on a few of the extreme cold days we had this winter, & he claims it starts with no issues in the cold. Of course, I don't have any way at this point to test that claim...finally thawing out around here.

He's still firm on the price, but added he may deal with me on a finish mower or maybe throw in a rear bucket - but he's stuck on $4500 and justifies it with the meticulous care he's given it over the 10 years he's owned it & the rear hydraulics/multipower/etc.

I'm an admitted newbie, so hope I don't sound like I'm trying to justify the price here either - just trying to be sure if I rule it out b/c of the conveneince of its location.

Thanks!

/ Looking at MF 135, reasonable price? #6  
Flusher - finally got a hold of the seller and he ballparked the hours in the mid-2000s. This one has multipower as well.

big bubba - And I've seen him move it around on a few of the extreme cold days we had this winter, & he claims it starts with no issues in the cold. Of course, I don't have any way at this point to test that claim...finally thawing out around here.

He's still firm on the price, but added he may deal with me on a finish mower or maybe throw in a rear bucket - but he's stuck on $4500 and justifies it with the meticulous care he's given it over the 10 years he's owned it & the rear hydraulics/multipower/etc.

I'm an admitted newbie, so hope I don't sound like I'm trying to justify the price here either - just trying to be sure if I rule it out b/c of the conveneince of its location.

Thanks!

The hours aren't too scary--my 1964 MF-135 had 4600 hours when I bought it.
Be sure to check out the tractor in all the gears and ranges--especially since the one you're looking at has multipower. There's something wrong with the multipower on my 135--I'll fix it when I split the tractor for a clutch job, probably later this year.

Thanks again for the info. I'm trying to listen to the advice I've seen on this and other forums for beginners, namely "Buy as recent a model as you can afford". I've seen others that would likely work for me, like a couple of MF 65s, TO-30s, etc, but they're 10 years older than this one, and in quite a bit rougher shape. Financial restraints keep me from jumping up too much newer or I'd be looking at the low profile series or at least the 200 series with turf tires & ROPS. I'm mechanically inclined and grew up doing agricultural work, but never owned my own tractor - so I'm hoping the 135 is as easy to maintain as I've read it is!

/ Looking at MF 135, reasonable price? #8  
Thanks again for the info. I'm trying to listen to the advice I've seen on this and other forums for beginners, namely "Buy as recent a model as you can afford". I've seen others that would likely work for me, like a couple of MF 65s, TO-30s, etc, but they're 10 years older than this one, and in quite a bit rougher shape. Financial restraints keep me from jumping up too much newer or I'd be looking at the low profile series or at least the 200 series with turf tires & ROPS. I'm mechanically inclined and grew up doing agricultural work, but never owned my own tractor - so I'm hoping the 135 is as easy to maintain as I've read it is!

Normal maintenance is easy on the 135. And since you're looking at a 135 gasser, you don't have to worry about diesel stuff--the high pressure injection pump, for example. You can do all the repair work on the fuel, cooling and electrical systems with a few hand tools. I completely refurbished those systems on my 135 diesel a few years ago. No sweat.

If you have to split the tractor for engine, tranny or rear end work, then you're in for more work, but it's not really that bad. You need floor jacks, jack stands and come 6"x6" cribbing to support the tractor during the split. You'll also need an engine hoist--the cover plate on the hydraulics unit is pretty heavy.