MF 135 Diesel - Deluxe or Standard?

/ MF 135 Diesel - Deluxe or Standard? #1  

bmarian

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2410
Hi Everyone,

I am going to look at a MF 135 diesel next week and want to make sure I understand the differences in the models and difference between model years.

Were the 4 x 2 transmissions optional or standard after a certain date?

Do all the 135's have a generator?

What about headlights? Did the basic model have headlights?

Gauges - if the tractor has water temp etc would this identify the deluxe package?

Differential Lock - was this optional or part of the deluxe package.

Power Steering - Optional or part of the deluxe package.

The pictures look pretty good of the tractor and it does have power steering. The seller thinks it is a Mid 80's model but the 12 model year run of the 135 ended in 1975 so .....

I am going to try to get the serial number before I make the drive to look at it next week. The seller is asking $ 4900.00 for the tractor with no attachments, if it is the deluxe with differential lock and all the bells and whistles he might not be to far out of the ballpark. He purchased it "restored" a few years ago and the prior owner went through it from one end to the other. I will check for the usual suspects as far as oil leaks etc and run the tractor in all gears. He has a 5' box scraper on the back now (not included in the price) so at least I can test the 3 point.

Thanks in advance for your help, maybe I will have a second Massey to keep my GC2410 company. My wife claims my tractors breed when she is not looking so I am out to prove her right!

Bruce

/ MF 135 Diesel - Deluxe or Standard? #2  
The MF135 Special and Deluxe both have the 6F/2R tranny. The Multipower option is available for the Deluxe (12F/4R).

Differential lock only on the Deluxe model.

Steering--Deluxe comes with either manual or power steering. Special only with manual steering.

PTO: Special has neutral and pto rpm proportional to engine rpm. The Deluxe model adds pto rpm proportional to ground speed.

The Special has a single-stage clutch (pedal to the floor disconnects both the tranny/rear wheels and the pto). The Deluxe has the two-stage clutch (clutch pedal half way down disconnects the tranny/rear wheels; pedal to the floor disconnects tranny/rear wheels and the pto).

Instruments: the Deluxe has tachometer, water temp, ammeter, oil pressure and fuel gauges and the gauges are illuminated. The Special only has the water temp and oil pressure gauges--not illuminated.

The older 135s have generators--I think MF went to alternators in 1969 and after.

Headlights are standard.

/ MF 135 Diesel - Deluxe or Standard? #3  
Hi Everyone,

I am going to look at a MF 135 diesel next week and want to make sure I understand the differences in the models and difference between model years.

Were the 4 x 2 transmissions optional or standard after a certain date?

Do all the 135's have a generator?

What about headlights? Did the basic model have headlights?

Gauges - if the tractor has water temp etc would this identify the deluxe package?

Differential Lock - was this optional or part of the deluxe package.

Power Steering - Optional or part of the deluxe package.

The pictures look pretty good of the tractor and it does have power steering. The seller thinks it is a Mid 80's model but the 12 model year run of the 135 ended in 1975 so .....

I am going to try to get the serial number before I make the drive to look at it next week. The seller is asking $ 4900.00 for the tractor with no attachments, if it is the deluxe with differential lock and all the bells and whistles he might not be to far out of the ballpark. He purchased it "restored" a few years ago and the prior owner went through it from one end to the other. I will check for the usual suspects as far as oil leaks etc and run the tractor in all gears. He has a 5' box scraper on the back now (not included in the price) so at least I can test the 3 point.

Thanks in advance for your help, maybe I will have a second Massey to keep my GC2410 company. My wife claims my tractors breed when she is not looking so I am out to prove her right!

Bruce

If it has Multi-Power, That would be a negative for me. We take out all Multi-powers before we resell them. Ken Sweet

/ MF 135 Diesel - Deluxe or Standard?
Flusher,

Thank you very much for the information, I'm certain that the information will be very valuable when I look at the tractor.

It seems like this might be a deluxe model but I need to take a look to be sure. It would be very nice to have the differential lock but we never had a differential lock back on the farm with the Allis Chalmers WD-45's. I have used the differential lock on my GC2410 in the backyard but it does not have turning brakes.

From the pictures it seems very nice but I will look at it in person to be sure.

Thanks again,

Bruce

/ MF 135 Diesel - Deluxe or Standard?
Hi Ken,

Thanks, for the info on the multi-power. I don't think this one has multi-power but I will know more when I look at it in person. When I talked to the seller he said it had High and Low ranges but I asked if it was a 3 speed and he agreed that the main trans was a 3 speed. But he seems to think it is a mid 80's tractor too!

How do you remove the multi-power? Is it a fairly simple change with easy to get parts? If I do run across one with multi-power maybe I should consider the tractor if the condition of the tractor is otherwise excellent if I could change out the multi-power when necessary.

I don't expect this tractor to be utilized highly since I have a fleet of Wheel Horse Garden tractors (12 or 15) and the Massey Ferguson GC2410 all on my 1/2 acre lot.

Thanks again,

Bruce

/ MF 135 Diesel - Deluxe or Standard? #6  
Hi Ken,

Thanks, for the info on the multi-power. I don't think this one has multi-power but I will know more when I look at it in person. When I talked to the seller he said it had High and Low ranges but I asked if it was a 3 speed and he agreed that the main trans was a 3 speed. But he seems to think it is a mid 80's tractor too!

How do you remove the multi-power? Is it a fairly simple change with easy to get parts? If I do run across one with multi-power maybe I should consider the tractor if the condition of the tractor is otherwise excellent if I could change out the multi-power when necessary.

I don't expect this tractor to be utilized highly since I have a fleet of Wheel Horse Garden tractors (12 or 15) and the Massey Ferguson GC2410 all on my 1/2 acre lot.

Thanks again,

Bruce

At one time we could get it removed for $150. No parts to buy. All Labor and welding couple gears together inside. We quit buying Multi-power and I suspect it would be hard to do now for under $500 labor, even if the tech knew how to do it. As a rule, MF technicians don't know how. Ken Sweet

/ MF 135 Diesel - Deluxe or Standard? #7  
If it has Multi-Power, That would be a negative for me. We take out all Multi-powers before we resell them. Ken Sweet

Probably a good idea. The MP on my 135 never did work properly. When I do the clutch job later this year, I'll decide what to do about that MP.

/ MF 135 Diesel - Deluxe or Standard? #8  

Why on earth would you do that? Nothing wrong with them, and they do work well.

Would you remove the Powershift feature on a new tractor? Would you remove the TA from an IH too??

df.

/ MF 135 Diesel - Deluxe or Standard? #9  
Thanks Flusher for listing the differences between the two. It was never clear to me either which one I had. Apparently I have the deluxe. Full set of guages and dual clutch, but dont seem to have a differential lock. On my ford, there is a heel pedel that engages the diff lock. Where would it be on a deluxe 135? Thanks, TB

/ MF 135 Diesel - Deluxe or Standard? #10  
Thanks Flusher for listing the differences between the two. It was never clear to me either which one I had. Apparently I have the deluxe. Full set of guages and dual clutch, but dont seem to have a differential lock. On my ford, there is a heel pedel that engages the diff lock. Where would it be on a deluxe 135? Thanks, TB

Right side for heel engagement