Massey ferguson 135 oil leak

/ Massey ferguson 135 oil leak #1  

meandmassey

I just purchased a MF 135 at auction. It has an oil leak that appears to be right behind the crank shaft pulley. I assume this is the front crank seal leaking. Does anyone know of any other possibilities? Also how difficult is this to change. It has the perkins 3cyl gas enigne.

/ Massey ferguson 135 oil leak #2  
This is a pretty typical problem with that era MF tractors. If you fix it, it will pop up again somewhere else. If it is not too bad, just leave it alone. My MF trained mechanic has fixed dozens of them and about 1/2 may hold for a while. If it is real bad, the front crank bearing is out or going out. Ken Sweet

/ Massey ferguson 135 oil leak #3  
Its a tight fit, the pulley may have enough room to slide off the crank without removing the front end. You may have to loosen the front end to give yourself a little more distance between the pully and the front end axle pivot assembly. I took mine completly apart the rebuild it, so I cant say for sure if the pulley will come off without more disassembly. Once you get the pulley off, inspect the sealing surface for grooves.
I did learn one thing about putting the new seal in. You have to make sure you press it in far enough or it will bind on the pulley when you tighten it down. Heres a few pics if they help. One is the timing cover already off of the Perkins gas, you can see the the front seal. Another is with the motor reassembled with the pulley on. Another is with the front end already off, before I rebuilt it.

Attachments

• DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    612.1 KB · Views: 1,650
  • DSCF0085.JPG
    DSCF0085.JPG
    608.5 KB · Views: 2,037
  • DSCF0050.JPG
    DSCF0050.JPG
    633.3 KB · Views: 2,587
   / Massey ferguson 135 oil leak #4  
Our 135 drips oil a bit but not the end of the world and sort of fits the image IMHO LOL
Bit like an old landrover
Check crank breather is clear and even an oil and filter change can sometimes help