Default Massey 124 baler

I need help. This may be the wrong place to post this but I am going to take a shot. I have a old massey 124 square baler that will not bale with the twine tight on the bales. I have done everything that the operators manual suggest with no luck. I have cleaned out the bale chamber and even replaced the trip cogg. The bales look fine and are uniform but the twine is not as tight as I would like it. The twine is tight enough to pick the bales up without falling apart but not as tight as I have seen on other balers.
    Any suggestions would be great.

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Default Re: Massey 124 baler

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    I need help. This may be the wrong place to post this but I am going to take a shot. I have a old massey 124 square baler that will not bale with the twine tight on the bales. I have done everything that the operators manual suggest with no luck. I have cleaned out the bale chamber and even replaced the trip cogg. The bales look fine and are uniform but the twine is not as tight as I would like it. The twine is tight enough to pick the bales up without falling apart but not as tight as I have seen on other balers.
    Any suggestions would be great.

I have an MF124 baler also.

What are you baling?

Sounds to me like you're losing compression on the bale flakes while the plunger is packing hay into the baling chamber. I assume you've cleaned the hay out of the 5 hay dogs in the baling chamber. How about the springs on the dogs? If they're worn out, you'll have problems packing the bales properly.

Have you installed the wedges in the baling chamber? You can install up to three pairs of wedges to minimize bale decompression. The guy who sold me the 124 only had one pair of wedges. I fabricated two more pairs using scrap angle and bar stock.

Thanks for the tips. We have checked the springs and cleaned the hay out of the dogs. We have not installed the wedges. We will try that next. When we try to increase the compression the baler starts braking shear pins. Thanks again for the tips.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    Thanks for the tips. We have checked the springs and cleaned the hay out of the dogs. We have not installed the wedges. We will try that next. When we try to increase the compression the baler starts braking shear pins. Thanks again for the tips.
    One other thing--I would reduce the pto speed and increase your tractor ground speed. Idea is to increase the amount of hay in each flake. With more hay in the bale, it'll be heavier and when it decompresses after the twine is tied, the slack in the twine may be reduced to what you want.

Tractor
    IH Model H, Ford 8N, Case 850 Swather, MF 124 Baler

Quote Originally Posted by flusher View Post
    I have an MF124 baler also.

What are you baling?

Sounds to me like you're losing compression on the bale flakes while the plunger is packing hay into the baling chamber. I assume you've cleaned the hay out of the 5 hay dogs in the baling chamber. How about the springs on the dogs? If they're worn out, you'll have problems packing the bales properly.

Have you installed the wedges in the baling chamber? You can install up to three pairs of wedges to minimize bale decompression. The guy who sold me the 124 only had one pair of wedges. I fabricated two more pairs using scrap angle and bar stock.
    Sorry to join in late here.. I too have a MF 124 baler. Not sure what you mean by wedges... For some reason, On string is always 5 inches longer than the other. Makes for very uneven baying.
    Any ideas?

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by dstockham View Post
    Sorry to join in late here.. I too have a MF 124 baler. Not sure what you mean by wedges... For some reason, On string is always 5 inches longer than the other. Makes for very uneven baying.
    Any ideas?
    These wedges install in pairs on the side walls of the baling chamber and help keep the bale compressed while the plunger is recycling for another compression stroke.

-baler-wedges-1-jpg-baler-wedges-2-jpg

Tractor
    IH Model H, Ford 8N, Case 850 Swather, MF 124 Baler

Thanks, Flusher... I wonder if I can still find these somewhere? Does this explain why one string is always longer than the other?

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by dstockham View Post
    Thanks, Flusher... I wonder if I can still find these somewhere? Does this explain why one string is always longer than the other?
    My guess would be that the two twine tensioners on the twine box are not set for the same pull--10 lb IIRC. I use a fish scale to set the pull so it's equal for both knotters.

AGCO handles Massey Ferguson stuff nowadays. I'd start there to see if those wedges are still available.

AGCO | Massey Ferguson

I didn't bother going that route and just welded up two pairs out of scrap steel I had lying around.