Question on MF 135 indy pto

/ Question on MF 135 indy pto #1  

Woodcanoeguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 830 FEL, JD 820 mint, MF 35, TO35
I just got a new to me MF 135 that has the independent PTO.....the first Ferguson or MF that I have had ( over 8 so far) that has it. My first question is can I just feather it slowly into gear with an implement attached? Second question is regarding the pto brake ....(when lever is pushed forward) ....it does not seem to stop ( or even slow down) the PTO shaft.....any adjustments I can make there? Other than this the tractor is really in great condition and runs well.....gas engine.

Thanks in advance for your advice.......Terry

Attachments

• MF 135.jpg
    MF 135.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 4,852
  • DSC00044.jpg
    DSC00044.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,885
   / Question on MF 135 indy pto
Opps....wrong spot to post this question....will move it.

/ Question on MF 135 indy pto #3  
I just got a new to me MF 135 that has the independent PTO.....the first Ferguson or MF that I have had ( over 8 so far) that has it. My first question is can I just feather it slowly into gear with an implement attached? Second question is regarding the pto brake ....(when lever is pushed forward) ....it does not seem to stop ( or even slow down) the PTO shaft.....any adjustments I can make there? Other than this the tractor is really in great condition and runs well.....gas engine.

Thanks in advance for your advice.......Terry

My 1964 MF-135 diesel Deluxe with Multipower has the live pto (2-stage clutch), not the independent pto. As far as I can tell from the 135 manuals, the indy pto brake is hydraulically actuated. Don't see any easy adjustments either inside or outside the hydraulic box. Looks like you'll have to tear into the hydraulics unit/rear end to fix your problem.

The pto clutch on my 135 isn't working right either. I'll probably have to split the tractor and replace or rebuild the 2-stage clutch.

/ Question on MF 135 indy pto #4  
Terry you can feather it in to some extent on our 265. I did it yesterday with the bushhog.

I think the PTO brakes lasted 30 days from what I have read. :D

In cold weather ours will "creep" some. I am sure my FIL killed our brake many years ago with the HD 7' bushhog.

/ Question on MF 135 indy pto #6  
The photos are of my 66' 135 hyd case. The second photo shows the lever and how it is attached to the collar that has internal splines. By selecting the lever the collar (three grooves milled in it) slides on or off an external splined shaft to engage / disengage the PTO. Throttle / clutch is used to control how soft the PTO will engage.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• HPIM0648.JPG
    HPIM0648.JPG
    805.3 KB · Views: 3,887
  • HPIM0647.JPG
    HPIM0647.JPG
    745 KB · Views: 7,951
  • HPIM0646.JPG
    HPIM0646.JPG
    813.8 KB · Views: 5,931
   / Question on MF 135 indy pto #8  
I have a 68 135 diesel, When I have my 6' mower on, I move the lever slowly to engage the pto. If you play with it a little, you can find a spot that will start tuning the implement slowly for a few revolutions before it takes off