Reviving the old Massey 135

/ Reviving the old Massey 135
Hi Mike476
I bet it was fun watching those boys expression as you pointed out your daughters working the arena on the tractor, and made your chest swell up as well! And having a helping hand from the wife makes me very happy knowing that she is part farm girl, she can't wait for us to get the other tractor to the farm and running, she is already calling it her tractor. :D
Billy

/ Reviving the old Massey 135 #32  
Right on !! Family tractor pulls, don't go cheating and govern her motor. :laughing:

Started cleaning up the area for horse today, have the old ford bush hog that we retrieved from the jungle. slip clutches are not happy and are very old, I will be replacing them soon. My wife is buying a horse and it needs a place to live. So we started clearing land today, Have a before and after picture and a pic of my Love/My Wife Kathy holding the machete as she helped guide the way, what a smile she has, makes me melt. Will pull the blades tomorrow for sharpening.

Attachments

• implements 2010 001.jpg
    implements 2010 001.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 214
  • implements 2010 003.jpg
    implements 2010 003.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 154
  • implements 2010 005.jpg
    implements 2010 005.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 256
  • implements 2010 006.jpg
    implements 2010 006.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 164
   / Reviving the old Massey 135 #34  
G'day Billy just looking at the pics of your mighty machine have you checked the front wheel bearings in the last pic of it the right one looks to be on a fair angle:( by the way good work to get that machine out of the scrub:thumbsup:

Jon

/ Reviving the old Massey 135 #35  
Good to see you're making progress Billy. Is what you're clearing going to be for pasture eventually or a riding arena, or both?

Hi banjodunn and Mike476
Yes just went through the front wheel bearings two weeks ago, replaced one inner and the angle is due to its having been a wood tractor and the arms that hold the spindles are a bit tweeked :) to put it mildly and that side is the good side :D We are clearing that area for Kathy's horse named Tank. There is open pasture behind us looking into the brush, about 7 acres. Hoping to grow hay on that next year. to late this year to get it ready. But that thicket is where my Grandpa, always had the animal shed and holding pen. And I want it there too, sentimental reasons.
take care
Billy

/ Reviving the old Massey 135 #37  
Hi Mur386
You just have to love it when a plan comes together, keep up the good work and post more pix as it comes along.

Doug

/ Reviving the old Massey 135 #38  
Billy,

I've been busy turning log into board and last night a big trailer load of hay showed up at around 9:30, everyone's scrambling to get it off the fields before the weather hits today. My wife and I slept well last night, both daughters finished at 4 this morning and have to go back to take care of the last 1500 bails at around 10 this morning. ah to be 21 again....

How's the MF 135 working, I know you've been putting it to work, has your wifes machine showed up yet?

Mike

Hi Mike

things going well here, i went back into the jungle today and freed the sickle bar mower, its a Dearborn model 14 15, looks to need some work, was to tired after removing it from the jungle to really look it over, I am feeling my age at (46) too, and it was raining :thumbsup: while I worked. Rain really messes with my glasses.
But I did get to use the revived chainsaw and it worked pretty well, to clear the stumps from in front of the sickle bar. And I lost my rear axle locker pedal arm somewhere, it broke off only God knows where. Will have to get that fixed soon, looking at whats left, half of the shaft had been broken for a long time, was rusty and the other half fresh break.
We have not gotten the wife's machine yet, owner is on vacation and I don't want to go into his backyard to work on it without him knowing I am doing so. Hoping we can get the gas burner engine running, so we can drive it on the trailer a Friend is supplying, as partial payment for me working on his three point hitch lift hydraulics.
That sounds like a lot of hay. I sent off soil samples to be analyzed last week, so we can get the pasture nutrients where they need to be for next year. Ordering parts to repair slip clutch on bushhog, and no wonder it failed, disassembly revealed more steel scaling/rust, than I would have thought possible. I rescued the large Extremely heavy two disc turning plow last week, from the thicket. Appears to just need cleaning up and fresh lube, everything turns. Still have to extract the old disc harrow from the jungle. Having fun tho and thats important.
take care
Billy
ps: added a pic of Kathy under the bushhog helping remove the gearbox. :) for slip clutch removal at shop.

Attachments

• Kathy under the bushhog.jpg
    Kathy under the bushhog.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
   / Reviving the old Massey 135 #40  
Billy,

Sounds like you and your wife are hard at it, and like you said, having fun doing it is what it's all about.

Cathy has been with me these last few days milling lumber, and at what we thought was the end of a long and hard day the hay showed up unannounced. At around 50 yrs old we like kidding our daughters, who have put in a few 18 hour days haying, keep it up and you'll be able to put in an honest day like your mother and I. :laughing:

Thinking I am going to have to look at adjusting the clutch on my 135, if there's any adjustment left. If not I'll have to look at replacing it, getting a little stiff to get into gear, will have to wait until I get the last of the logs milled. Aside from dragging the riding arena and moving a little manure around no real hard work for it before winter hits (feel bad even mentioning that word). :(