Paint question and pto question for a 1972 massey 135

/ Paint question and pto question for a 1972 massey 135 #1  

botakix

Bronze Member
hey guys, i just recently got a 1972 massey 135 and dont know alot about it. first, i was wondering if i have the independent pto or not. i read the manual but cant tell if mine is transmission driven or independent. The pto lever has two positions, which are written on the tractor, neutral and engine. was also wondering if it was normal to have to let the pto shaft come to a complete stop before engaging a drive gear, or the gears will grind. i also was wondering if any of your restoration guys could tell me what type of paint, is closest to original massey red. i banged up my fender, and have ordered a new skin, but not sure what to do as far as paint. any help you guys can give a mechanically uninclined tractor guy, would be great. i was also wondering how to tell the difference between a 135 special and the 135 deluxe, not sure what mine is.

/ Paint question and pto question for a 1972 massey 135 #2  
hey guys, i just recently got a 1972 massey 135 and dont know alot about it. first, i was wondering if i have the independent pto or not. i read the manual but cant tell if mine is transmission driven or independent. The pto lever has two positions, which are written on the tractor, neutral and engine. was also wondering if it was normal to have to let the pto shaft come to a complete stop before engaging a drive gear, or the gears will grind. i also was wondering if any of your restoration guys could tell me what type of paint, is closest to original massey red. i banged up my fender, and have ordered a new skin, but not sure what to do as far as paint. any help you guys can give a mechanically uninclined tractor guy, would be great. i was also wondering how to tell the difference between a 135 special and the 135 deluxe, not sure what mine is.

I have a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower that I cleaned up, rewired, repainted, fixed leaks, etc. Not a complete restoration--only minimal teardown.

The 135 deluxe has a complete set of dashboard gauges (tach, fuel level, ammeter, oil pressure, water temperature). The 135 special only has waer temperature and oil pressure.

The 135 deluxe has a 3-position pto shift lever (pto speed proportional to engine speed, neutral, and pto speed proportional to ground speed). The 135 special pto shift lever has the first two positions only (no ground speed pto).

The 135 has a two stage clutch (clutch pedal half way down disconnects the wheels, clutch pedal full down disconnects both the pto shaft and the wheels). It's not an independent pto setup.

The 135 has an independent pto option. The pto shift lever is a two-position control--lever forward disengages the independent pto clutch; lever rearward engages that clutch.

It looks like your 135 does not have an IPTO.

I use tractor paint from Tractor Supply and a $40 HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight.

/ Paint question and pto question for a 1972 massey 135
thanks a bunch for taking the time to respond. that info helps a bunch. thanks again

/ Paint question and pto question for a 1972 massey 135 #4