Smoke question Massey 135

/ Smoke question Massey 135 #1  

david.phillips181

Hi all, I'm in the midst of restoring a 1972 Massey 135 perkins diesel with turfs.

I just finished hooking up the lights tonight and noticed that my tractor seems to emit a steady haze of light bluish smoke WITHOUT LOAD. The smoke is not noticeable during the daylight unless I'm working it pulling my 10 Seaforth Pro flex mower. Even then it is just a fine light haze that is noticable behind the machine when caught in the sun.

You can't see the smoke until the rear work light seems to catch it in its beam. The tractor hasn't used a drop of oil in three full tanks of diesel. Yes I would have expected to see some drop in the level considering the rear main has the typical little drip everytime I stop it. Motor starts very well in hot or cold conditions. Im hoping this is normal not a sign that the engine is due for a rebuild. Dial shows 2779hrs but we all know that 2779 divided by 38 years equals 73 hrs per year so I won't hold out that those hours are original.

Now my question is how much smoke is normal?

/ Smoke question Massey 135 #2  
The white smoke indicates unburned fuel, and woe is me,
I do not remember if the the 135 is direct or indirect injected SO-if it is indirect injected the injection pump may be low on oil-the upper half is lubricated by the diesel fuel and the lower half is lubricated by the oil reservoir which is in the lower half of the injection pump.

The injection nozzles for the Perkins engine(if it is indirect injected) may be worn and need to be replaced as they may be allowing a bit too much fuel in the cylinder head.

I would add some Sea Foam to the fuel tank and run it for a while and see how it does.

If the Perkins engine is direct injected you may be looking at new injectors and a new pump as the pump is lubricated by the diesel fuel.

If you need OEM Perkins parts you can contact Foley Marine & Industrial Engines