cylinder numbering mf 135 gas continental

/ cylinder numbering mf 135 gas continental #1  

PIPELAGGER

Tractor
massey ferguson Mf135
this sounds like acrazy question but i have looked at EVERYTHING from the jensales orginal massey copies to IT manual but they show timing but the most BASIC SIMPLE drawing can be found nowhere!!!:confused2: Is cylinder 1 at the front of the engine or the firewall? even the parts does not dicriminate cylinders. funny how the service manual only covers the continental z145 and not the 134 and htas a rebuild but everything on the perkins 3

yes i do know i COULD take the distributor cap off and watch which direction since i know timing order, but thats hard to do with one person, and the most basic of all engine pics in nowhere to be found. so someone here must know the physical location on a continental gas engine

thanks!

/ cylinder numbering mf 135 gas continental #2  
Continental, Perkins, and Massey Ferguson all 3 counted the FRONT cylinder as #1.

I know someone....somewhere....will tell me I'm wrong, but I don't recall any auto/truck/tractor builders using a rear cylinder as #1.

/ cylinder numbering mf 135 gas continental #3  
Have to agree with FWJ, most forward cylinder has always been number one on anything I've ever worked on.

/ cylinder numbering mf 135 gas continental
thanks, never hurts to ask, but like wiht 8 cylinders some numering left.right left right or ALL left all right, then i could swear i had seen on old 6 ..hudson? start at firewall..either way, i am new to tractor engines. It took the IR manual to find the timing hole is on continentals too. Neither stock service operator or parts shows the timingplug and where it is on a continental motor..the perkins has a nice big boot. Now i can time other than by ear..it still tuns a little rough after i set the gap to.22 and replaced all the spark plugs/wires.

Oh and a word to wise...go to NAPA and get wire/ft and plug ends from them. I had to reuse coil boot. stock replacement wires are $70!!! and they are all under 12"!! they even have the wire clips at 50cents each..saved me $50

It is odd that even the operators manual, meant for the not always mechanically inclined didnt show piston order.

i hope pulling that plug i will be able to see the timing marks..who knows how dirty.

Appreciate the answer,
Rob