Massey 150 gasser vs 135 diesel?

/ Massey 150 gasser vs 135 diesel? #1  

Elkins45

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
So I know I'm probably annoying the bejeebers our of the veterans with all my questions, but I hope to get a second tractor within the next couple of weeks for our new acreage. I'm looking at two different early 70's MF models and I would like a little advice.

For identical cost I can get either a 135 w/ the Perkins diesel and 2700 hours or a 150 w/ Perkins gas engine and 2100 hours. Both appear to be in decent shape with good tires and no obvious issues. I like the idea of a diesel engine because I know all too well what happens to carbs when they sit idle for long periods with today's low quality gas in them. But I also like the idea of the larger 150 over the 135 and the fact it has fewer hours.

Which would you pick? Why?

Thanks for any info.

/ Massey 150 gasser vs 135 diesel? #2  
The 150 is about 1000# heavier than the 135 so if that would be a benefit then I would choose the 150. The 135 is a little light in the front end compared to the 150. The 150 is also a little longer. That being said I will not own another gasoline tractor to work cause they will break you up in fuel costs. I used to operate a well tuned MF 35 gas right beside a MF 35 diesel and the diesel would use about 1/3 the fuel of the gas tractor. The ideal thing would be to find a diesel 150.

/ Massey 150 gasser vs 135 diesel? #3  
Diesel:thumbsup: I hate gas.

/ Massey 150 gasser vs 135 diesel?
The ideal thing would be to find a diesel 150.

I thought I had a shot at a diesel 150 with 2000 hours for $3800 today, but the first guy who looked at it bought it before I could get there. Can't say as I blame him.

/ Massey 150 gasser vs 135 diesel? #5  
So I know I'm probably annoying the bejeebers our of the veterans with all my questions, but I hope to get a second tractor within the next couple of weeks for our new acreage. I'm looking at two different early 70's MF models and I would like a little advice.

For identical cost I can get either a 135 w/ the Perkins diesel and 2700 hours or a 150 w/ Perkins gas engine and 2100 hours. Both appear to be in decent shape with good tires and no obvious issues. I like the idea of a diesel engine because I know all too well what happens to carbs when they sit idle for long periods with today's low quality gas in them. But I also like the idea of the larger 150 over the 135 and the fact it has fewer hours.

Which would you pick? Why?

Thanks for any info.

I like the Perkins diesel--I have a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower. But if you plan to add an FEL in the future, the 150 is better (stronger front axles).

Good luck.

/ Massey 150 gasser vs 135 diesel? #6  
I have the best of BOTH worlds....a 150 diesel. Over the years, I've bought and re-sold dozens of 135's and 150's. They are extremely popular tractors in this immediate area. (Greatest MF dealer on earth just a few miles down the road among other reasons)

OK...MF135's vs MF150's (w/o considering engine type)

The 135 is a great little tractor. Compact in size, big on performance. Good power to weight ratio, excellent 3-point hitch design and draft control, parts availability galore, and a re-sale value unmatched.

The 150 is all that AND better balance, better chassis to mount a loader, more cooling and fuel capacity, better air filtration, and most all the features that are options on a 135 are standard equipment on a 150.

Gas vs diesel.

You have two possibles on the gas engine. Very early and very late production 100 series were offered with the Continental 4-cylinder. Some of the initial crop of 135's had Continental Z134 (134 cu in) but MOST were Z145's. BOTH were rated @ 38 hp. For the lions share of the production run, they were equipped with the Perkins AG3-152 3-cylinder gasser. It shares a multitude of common parts with the diesel version. ALL are really good, solid engines. Neither has a definite advantage over the other. PERSONALLY, I like the Z145 gasser, but can't really tell you why....As far as gas engines go, they are fairly easy on fuel consumption. I don't care for gas engines of the last few years of production. They had the beginnings of emission reduction equipment on them, and can be a problem.

When you speak of 135's OR 150 diesels, you're talking the most fuel efficient, reliable engine of its day. When the MF150 diesel was initially tested at Univ of Nebraska, in 1964, it was the most fuel efficient tractor to date. It STILL ranks up there with todays tractors. (I've plowed all day, in hard alfalfa sod, and never burnt a gallon an hour on my 150) Engine rebuild kits for a Perkins AD3-152 are amongst the cheapest engine kits available. And the best part, they will outlast the Energizer Bunny! These things are incredible. The AD3-152 stayed in production for over 50 years. Not many engines are even in the same league.

OK...Pick ONE.... Tie breaker for me is the diesel. If I couldn't have a 150 diesel, it would be a 135 diesel....The engine is just that special. A diesel 150 will work circles around a diesel 135. A gas 150 still has a very slight performance advantage over a 135, but at a cost.

But....long and short of it....NEITHER would be a bad choice. And we are talking tractors that could be as much as 47 years old, to a NEWEST of 36 years old. (us built) (1964 to 1975) You're buying over-all condition of an individual used tractor. The gasser could potentially be in much better condition, or vice versa...

With EITHER, the 135 or the 150, if they're in decent shape, you won't go wrong IMHO.

Attachments

• 40X150years 001.jpg
    40X150years 001.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,990
  • Pasture mowing 001.jpg
    Pasture mowing 001.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 515
  • Jan1dogs 044.jpg
    Jan1dogs 044.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,875
  • Titan5.jpg
    Titan5.jpg