67 35 massey help

/ 67 35 massey help #1  

freakshow12

Tractor
35 massey
new here and right away looking for help. I have a 35 massey diesel thet has been in the family since new. not many hours on it. all original yet. it started leaking large amounts of oil from the little hole in the tach drive plate. wghat happened and how do I fix it.

/ 67 35 massey help #2  
new here and right away looking for help. I have a 35 massey diesel thet has been in the family since new. not many hours on it. all original yet. it started leaking large amounts of oil from the little hole in the tach drive plate. wghat happened and how do I fix it.

OK....From the top....

It is NOT a 1967 35. Last 35's were built in 1964, prior to introduction of the 135.

Now, the leak....There's a seal in that plate. You'll need to remove two bolts (plus the cable) to access it. Massey Ferguson/AGCO dealer will have it, as it was common to all Perkins 3-cylinders for over 50 years they were installed in MF tractors. Simple change out that should be easily done by any shade tree mechanic.

A temporary fix that'll get you out of the field is to clean up all the leaking oil. Then you'll see a small vent hole below the cable connector. Fill that with Permatex (or similar gasket sealer) let dry, and go. DO NOT depend on that as a long term fix. It will let you down at the worst possible moment. BTDT.

/ 67 35 massey help
thanks. my bad on the year. my dad bought it from his stepdad years ago. I am a car guy so these are new to me. I will look at the plate and see what year it is for sure. we got the plate bolts out but cannot release the cable. how does it come out?

/ 67 35 massey help #4  
thanks. my bad on the year. my dad bought it from his stepdad years ago. I am a car guy so these are new to me. I will look at the plate and see what year it is for sure. we got the plate bolts out but cannot release the cable. how does it come out?

There's a threaded coupler on the end of the cable, OUTSIDE of the plate. First unscrew that coupler. Quite often, the tach cable will "wallow" out a bit on the end and sorta key itself into the fitting on the end of the camshaft. you may have to remove the opposite end of the cable (at the tach) and GENTLY use a pair of pliers to rotate the cable too and fro while someone pulls on the cable at the engine end, until it releases. It SHOULD pull right out. Old parts can sometimes be a little stubborn.

/ 67 35 massey help
Thanks so much. we will try that.