Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: MF 135 clutch

I may be old, but I can still go out and run (not jog) five miles in 32 degrees weather and not be winded...
    You da man!!!! I would be dead after the first thousand feet. My fault big shot....
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    MF, Deutz, Same, Lamborghini, Landini, Hesston, Case...

Well, we've been dealing with a similar situation and I didn't see any answers yet so am I permitted to ask again what the remedy here is? I put a new clutch in a '68 MF 135 6 speed last year, had the dealer do it this year and he said stuff was bent and had to replace the whole thing. After a couple weeks in harvest it's the same as before. REALLY stiff (and he said he used the softest clutch he could get) plus after you use it a bit, sometimes it disengages properly and sometimes not quite all the way so that it's hard to pull out of gear or the gears grind going in.
    I'm 5'10 or so, 175lbs and 48. After two hours of plowing snow, my knee was irritated. I don't know how my 135lb, 86 year old Dad handled it through harvest!

Tractor
    135 Massey Ferguson

Ref.: 135 MF stiff clutch.
    Thrust bearing could be dragging badly on support shaft. If bearing was not replaced with clutch , may have bad bearing. The return spring, the one which pulls the pedal back up may be too strong(might have broken and been rigged to work which would greatly increase the tension. Try finding someone with exp. operating that model tractor and see what their leg thinks. The design of my MF 135 has me pushing straight down to disengage the clutch which I feel is a poor nest of engineering. Find a good mechanic.

Tractor
    MF, Deutz, Same, Lamborghini, Landini, Hesston, Case...

We have two of them. The other has the original clutch. NO comparrison! I drove that tractor when I was 12 and no way I could with this clutch. I'd HOPE nothing's been Jerry-rigged since we had the dealer do it this time. Did that just in case I did something wrong the other time and if it's still bad (as it is) we can go back on them to fix it. He claims that's the "softest" clutch he can get. That's bad enough but the intermittent, not quite releasing, is the killer on top of it. I've done several automotive clutches and I don't see what you can do wrong to cause this.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 148 .Chamberlain Super 70. Caterpillar D4. Chamberlain 354 FEL.Toro 268 rideon kubota L2002fel

G'day Plysage.
    To say the Massey clutch is heavy or hard to push down is not so If you have as you say a clutch that is not working as intended May I suggest replacing the complete clutch as an assembly,you will find it to be about the same price as buying parts by the time you add labour to strip and rebuild.
    I deal with Sparex parts You will find them if you Gooooogle sparex.
    Here is a list of parts and part numbers you will need I am assuming the tractor is a three cylinder diesel!!

1 X CLUTCH COVER AASSEMBLY S40677. Note the cover will come with Six Red Springs Double check.
    1 X TRANSMISSION PLATE S 40731.
    1 X RELEASE BEARING S 40735.
    1 X FLYWHEEL SPIGOT BEARING S 40734.
    2 X CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING CARRIER SPRINGS S 40739.
    1 X CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING CARRIER S 40738. NOTE :If when you remove the carrier there will be wear where the forks act on the carrier ,if there is a worn "Dent" replace the carrier.

If you replace all of these parts I guarantee the clutch will work to your satisfaction .
    Just to reiterate the Massey clutch is not AWKWARD To use or HARD TO PUSH DOWN if it is THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG.
    Dont forget to remove the transit bolts THREE OFF USUALLY PAINTED RED they are 1/4 inch unc thread x 2+ inches long.
    You will also need to borrow a clutch aligning tool ,not an automotive one the dual clutch has two plates.
    That should get you smiling.
    Happy Days.
    Hutch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123