Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mf 135, JD 750

Default MF 135 clutch

The clutch on my 135 is very hard to depress. It was replaced by the previous owner and he assures me "that's the way it's supposed to be". Well, it's also supposed to be a 2-stage, but that doesn't seem to work either. Should I have to stand on the clutch to depress it?
    Thanks.

Default Re: MF 135 clutch

G'day i think they have got something wrong you should not have to stand on the clutch to move it, my cook is 5' tall and 45kg and she can operate the clutch on our shop 188 no probs. I think you will have to split

Jon

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Quote Originally Posted by Plysage View Post
    The clutch on my 135 is very hard to depress. It was replaced by the previous owner and he assures me "that's the way it's supposed to be". Well, it's also supposed to be a 2-stage, but that doesn't seem to work either. Should I have to stand on the clutch to depress it?
    Thanks.
    Yep, Banjo is right. If you've run out of adjustment on the clutch pedal, you'll have to split the tractor, check that clutch thoroughly and very likely have to replace it. My 1964 MF135 has the same problem--it's in my shop now awaiting repair if I ever get time for it (I have three tractors in line ahead of it for repair work).

Tractor
    135 Massey Ferguson

What function does the second stage of the clutch perform?

Tractor
    '73 MF135 & Montana 4540

All the way down disengages everything. Halfway up engages the PTO if its on. All the way up and the tractor moves.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Ben Franklin
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1973 MF135 Perkins Gas and 2006 Montana 4540 w/FEL

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Quote Originally Posted by Plysage View Post
    Thanks.
    The 135 clutch is pretty stiff and takes a while to get used to. Lube the clutch pedal and see if that helps.

What do you mean when you say "Well, it's also supposed to be a 2-stage, but that doesn't seem to work either"?

For example, when I press the clutch on my 135 to the floor with the engine running, I can't get the pto shift to engage. If I stop the engine, I'm able to get the pto shift into gear and when I start the engine, the pto shaft turns. Of course, that's not the way it should work so either my clutch is bad or there's something wrong with the pto shift mechanism. Either way, I'll have to split the tractor to fix this problem.

Tractor
    Mf 135, JD 750

It used to work the pto while halfway down and the transmission disengaged. The previous owner rebuilt the engine and put in a new clutch a couple years ago. Tractor still pulls good, just very hard to engage/disengage clutch. I've adjusted the pedal to specified clearance and lubed everything. I'm thinking they put in the wrong clutch. I guess it's time to split it again and see what's in there.

Tractor
    mf

shouldnt be that hard to push down. but if the clutch was wore dont think that would affect how hard the pedal would be to push down

Tractor
    ferguson fe35

i have the same problem with a customers 135. gonna be splitting her over the weekend so should have a reason for the problem and a solution for you soon.

Tractor
    Various

you can adjust second stage PTO clutch without splitting tractor. Remove 4 bolts and cover underneath bell housing and you will see the three bolt/nuts for adjustment, these shoulkd have a gap of approx 90 thou between bolt head and clutch cover, this may fix problem if you are lucky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast