The search goes on 135, 150

/ The search goes on 135, 150 #1  

wojeepster

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 245
Looked at a 135 today. It was the low price leader at $2800. Diesel that took a long time to start with lots of either and smoked like a oil fire afterword. Lots of play in the manual steering. Sheet metal good. I figure it will take $1500-2000 to get it right and for that I can buy a tractor in better condition. Looking at another 135 diesel tomorrow with a $5500 price tag. Power steering and started right up. I like the 135. Small but powerful. Is it me or are the seats too far forward? Is there a reason folks drive them like this?

/ The search goes on 135, 150 #2  
Looked at a 135 today. It was the low price leader at $2800. Diesel that took a long time to start with lots of either and smoked like a oil fire afterword. Lots of play in the manual steering. Sheet metal good. I figure it will take $1500-2000 to get it right and for that I can buy a tractor in better condition. Looking at another 135 diesel tomorrow with a $5500 price tag. Power steering and started right up. I like the 135. Small but powerful. Is it me or are the seats too far forward? Is there a reason folks drive them like this?

one thing you might do if you go look at the tractor is bring someone with you. when the tractor isn't running one of yall push the clutch and the other watch the crankshaft pulley if it moves forward the thrust bearing is out in the motor

/ The search goes on 135, 150 #3  
I think the seats are way too far forward and still can't get used to the up and down vertical travel of brakes and clutch. Awkward for my 6'2" frame. Plus the power steering option would be great, course all you have to do is pick up a large round bale of hay and it's easy as pie to steer.

/ The search goes on 135, 150 #4  

My 1964 MF135 diesel Deluxe cost me $3600 in July2006. Yep, it has sloppy steering that needs repairs. The "power steering" is not true PS, but rather "power assisted" steering. There's a tiny hydraulic assist gizmo on the steering column--not a large hydraulic cylinder on the front axle like you have in true PS. I'd replace the seat with a more comfortable one that has better adjustment features. And the pedal design is uncomfortable and awkward--takes a while to get used to the 135's setup.

Good luck.

/ The search goes on 135, 150
So looked at another 135 today. When I drove up it looked Great! Freshly painted, up close not as good, paint over rust. Engine started right up as it should. Leak from front of engine not a big problem, fuel gage did not work, again a small problem. Everything else good. New rear tires. It had problems with the lift. Lift was very "Juddery" when lifting a box blade. All other lifts I have looked at were smooth in operation. After talking awhile owner admitted he had taken it in for the lift. I think they did everything they could do inexpensively. He was asking $5500 for tractor so I think I will pass on this one too.

/ The search goes on 135, 150 #6  
So looked at another 135 today. When I drove up it looked Great! Freshly painted, up close not as good, paint over rust. Engine started right up as it should. Leak from front of engine not a big problem, fuel gage did not work, again a small problem. Everything else good. New rear tires. It had problems with the lift. Lift was very "Juddery" when lifting a box blade. All other lifts I have looked at were smooth in operation. After talking awhile owner admitted he had taken it in for the lift. I think they did everything they could do inexpensively. He was asking $5500 for tractor so I think I will pass on this one too.

I have noticed a similar trend in my area, many sellers seem to think that "paint over rust" justifies a $5000 pricetag. No thanks. :laughing: