Massey Ferguson 135 or 150

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150 #21  
Weird looking tractor. The hood looks like an MF135, but from the side, rear and overall configuration looks more like a Massey Harris 50.

MF and MH joined together somewhere along about that time, and so it might have even been a hybrid. The running boards were not integral. I've seen some tractors of that era came with foot pegs instead of integral running boards. And some had a removable metal running board that fit onto the foot pegs front and rear.

I'd bet if we had the tractor in front of us we could figure it out pretty quickly.
rScotty

Massey Harris 50 would be more like a Ferguson F40/Massey Ferguson 50.....No radius rods on front axle, straight axle as opposed to swept axle, ect....From the flywheel back, the TO35/MF35 WAS the same as a MH50/F40/MF50....Same tranny, same rear end, same fenders, same wheels, ect.... A MH 50 would be longer wheelbase. The MH50 has it's air filter located in a diffent location, as well as being a different style of filter. MH50 would sit higher in the front due to axle difference.

MH and Ferguson merger was completed in 1957. The brands became one (Massey Ferguson) in late '57. At that point, there was no more MH50. The 135 (DX series) was introduced in 1964. There was no overlap as they rolled off the assembly line.

The DX series (100 series) had a different system of controls on the hydraulics, and a few subtle diffences in tranny/rear end.

It's possible, although I see absolutely nothing to indicate such, that a "tractor jockey" combined 2 or 3 tractors to build one GOOD tractor, using parts from an earlier model.....Just doesn't appear so. Looks like a very typical MF135 to me....

For the record, I've owned several MF50's, a couple Ferguson F40s, a MH50, quite a few TO/MF35's, a number of MF135's and still own a couple MF150's. an MF50 and a Ferguson F40.

Long story short, I don't see ANYTHING similar to a MH50.....

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150 #22  
MH and Ferguson merger was completed in 1957. The brands became one (Massey Ferguson) in late '57. At that point, there was no more MH50. The 135 (DX series) was introduced in 1964. There was no overlap as they rolled off the assembly line.
It's possible, although I see absolutely nothing to indicate such, that a "tractor jockey" combined 2 or 3 tractors to build one GOOD tractor, using parts from an earlier model.....Just doesn't appear so.
For the record, I've owned several MF50's, a couple Ferguson F40s, a MH50, quite a few TO/MF35's, a number of MF135's and still own a couple MF150's. an MF50 and a Ferguson F40.

Long story short, I don't see ANYTHING similar to a MH50.....

Well, I'm not the expert that you are and am quite willing to accept your opinion. BTW, I misspoke when I said my friend's tractor is a Massey Harris 50 or a MH50. He reminded me that it is actually a Massey/Harris/Ferguson....or that at least that is what he believes since various castings say MHF on them. In fact, I reckon it might be a MHF40. I won't say more now and instead I'll check for sure next time I'm at his place. His farm is about an hour north. But his tractor - whatever it is - has a similar overall appearance to the on in that picture.

Say, do you know when that the various Massey tractors used foot pegs and when they used running boards? What's the story there?

For my part, I've found that tractor popularity is often a local matter, and there is little doubt that the area around me is JD country. I've only worked on half a dozen Masseys, and those just because they belonged to friends. But while doing so I was impressed by some aspects of their design. And always by the heavy duty construction....although that type of construction was typical of most tractors of that era.
rScotty

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150 #23  
Well, I'm not the expert that you are and am quite willing to accept your opinion. BTW, I misspoke when I said my friend's tractor is a Massey Harris 50 or a MH50. He reminded me that it is actually a Massey/Harris/Ferguson....or that at least that is what he believes since various castings say MHF on them. In fact, I reckon it might be a MHF40. I won't say more now and instead I'll check for sure next time I'm at his place. His farm is about an hour north. But his tractor - whatever it is - has a similar overall appearance to the on in that picture.

Say, do you know when that the various Massey tractors used foot pegs and when they used running boards? What's the story there?

For my part, I've found that tractor popularity is often a local matter, and there is little doubt that the area around me is JD country. I've only worked on half a dozen Masseys, and those just because they belonged to friends. But while doing so I was impressed by some aspects of their design. And always by the heavy duty construction....although that type of construction was typical of most tractors of that era.
rScotty

Quite a few components of the Massey Harris 50 and the Ferguson F40 were ALSO shared with the TO35....(ie transmission/rear end/engines/ect) Many of those parts were cast in one common foundry. The M>H<F markings were an indication of such. That said, there was no such critter as a MHF tractor. They were EITHER Massey Harris OR Ferguson, until becoming Massey-Ferguson, then Massey Ferguson (w/o the hyphen) The M>H<F casting marks were gradually discontinued after the merger was complete, and completely eliminated once the DX series was introduced. Any tractors with that marking on cast parts was simply using parts built during the transition period after the merger while the transition from the 2-brand sales network was evolving into the single brand "Massey Ferguson" name.

The most obvious characteristic of Ferguson and early Massey Ferguson tractors was their utter simplicity. That was a trait DEMANDED by Harry Ferguson. He insisted on building tractors that the average mechanic could service and maintain. The brand held true to Fergusons wishes well into the 1980's before starting to "modernize" like other brands.

The only model I'm familiar with that used only footpegs were earliest Ferguson TE20's and TO 20's.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150
This is one of my earth moving projects showing but one of hundreds of cart loads of dirt I've moved, all by hand. As you can imagine, it's been slow going. Needless to say, a tractor will be a welcome addition to my home.

301ndb5.jpg

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 135 or 150
Random Massey 135 questions...

1. What is the difference between the Continental Z-134 and the Z-145 engines?

2. If equipped, is the differential lock on the left side, below the seat?

3. Are the standard and flat-top fenders interchangeable?

4. Are the flat-top fenders still available separately?

5. What are the differences between the Massey 135 and 150?

6. What parts are interchangeable between the Massey 135 and 150?

7. What are the major differences between the US and UK versions of the 135 and 150?

8. Can a Special be converted to a Deluxe?

9. What is the weakest part, most prone to breakage?

10. Can the 3 cylinder Perkins gas engine be converted to diesel and vise versa?

11. What was changed or improved between the earliest and latest models?

12. Do the Continental engines have piston sleeves like the Perkins engines?

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150 #29  
Random Massey 135 questions...

1. What is the difference between the Continental Z-134 and the Z-145 engines?

2. If equipped, is the differential lock on the left side, below the seat?

3. Are the standard and flat-top fenders interchangeable?

4. Are the flat-top fenders still available separately?

5. What are the differences between the Massey 135 and 150?

6. What parts are interchangeable between the Massey 135 and 150?

7. What are the major differences between the US and UK versions of the 135 and 150?

8. Can a Special be converted to a Deluxe?

9. What is the weakest part, most prone to breakage?

10. Can the 3 cylinder Perkins gas engine be converted to diesel and vise versa?

11. What was changed or improved between the earliest and latest models?

12. Do the Continental engines have piston sleeves like the Perkins engines?

I'll try to answer a few...

1. 11 cu inches......a slightly better piston design, and a little better fuel efficiency.

2. Yes

3. To a point....You have to have the fender support brackets to install the flattop fenders. They're a bit harder to come by that the fenders themselves,

4. Fenders, headlight buckets, headlights themselves, and rubber hand-hold trim is still available, both OEM and aftermarket.

5. 150's have larger cooling system, larger fuel tank, much heavier steering bolster, different power steering, different sheet metal, longer wheel base, heavier front axle (straight as opposed to swept back) different air filter located in different spot, enclosed battery, standard with full instrumentation, came standard with flat-top fenders, float ride seat, power steering, and PAVT (spin out) rear wheels. With all that, 150's are typically about 1000lbs heavier making them more stable with loads on 3-point hitch. 150's have more ground clearance under front axle, and also have far better mounting points for a front end loader. In it's day, the MF150 was the most fuel efficient tractor tested to date @ Univ of Nebraska tractor test facility. With same hp, it would plow circles around a 135 (or it's competitor, the 3000 Ford) I like to think of 150's as a 135 on steroids.

6. There were several transmission options with both the 135 and 150 (3X2 speed, 3X2 speed w/ multiPower, 4X2 speed) Provided you're looking at 135 and 150 with same transmissions, essentially everything from the water pump on back (except steering) is the same. (ie engine/transmissions/rear end/hydraulics/hitch)

7. There is no such thing as a "UK 150" They were North American Market Only....ALL 150's were built in Detroit Mich, where the 135's were built in several locations around the globe. (Bulk of which were built in England OR Detroit) .UK 135's had different lighting, later models had a different front axle, UK 135's were all diesels, gauges and charging system was different, fenders were different, and a litany of small details were different.

8. A QUALIFIED yes....You would essentially need a ton of parts from a deluxe....Probably cheaper in the long run to just buy a Deluxe....

9.. The loose nut holding the steering wheel....lol!

10. Yes, but why? MOST of the parts are same, (ie block/crank/rods/pistons/head casting/ect) but there are quite a number of machining items that vary from gas to diesel. Again, it would be much cheaper to just buy a diesel....

11. Better gasket sealing @ rear of oil pan, arguably better charging system (went from genny to alternator in late '60's) Earliest 135's and 150's weren't available with what I consider the best transmission option. (4X2 speed) Later model 150's came standard with that, and 3X2 w/MultiPower as an option. I MUCH prefer the 4X2)

12. Yes

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150 #30  
Can anyone show me some good photos of the round vs flat-top fenders? I've got an old pair of unidentified fenders in the metal pile.
Also would like to see some pictures of the std. vs deluxe and the 135 vs 150.
Any and all help appreciated.
thanks, rScotty