Massey Ferguson 135 or 150

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150 #31  
Take a look at my avatar photo. There's a 150 w/flattop fenders. '71 model, diesel, 8-speed.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150 #32  
Take a look at my avatar photo. There's a 150 w/flattop fenders. '71 model, diesel, 8-speed.

The trouble with avatar photos is that they tend to be too reduced in resolution to blow up. Like good artwork, they depend on our visual imagination to fill in the the details. I think that works better for art than for mechanics.
rScotty - 20 years as an artist...then 20 as an engineer.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150
150's have larger cooling system, larger fuel tank, much heavier steering bolster, different power steering, different sheet metal, longer wheel base, heavier front axle (straight as opposed to swept back) different air filter located in different spot, enclosed battery, standard with full instrumentation, came standard with flat-top fenders, float ride seat, power steering, and PAVT (spin out) rear wheels. With all that, 150's are typically about 1000lbs heavier making them more stable with loads on 3-point hitch. 150's have more ground clearance under front axle, and also have far better mounting points for a front end loader. In it's day, the MF150 was the most fuel efficient tractor tested to date @ Univ of Nebraska tractor test facility. With same hp, it would plow circles around a 135 (or it's competitor, the 3000 Ford) I like to think of 150's as a 135 on steroids.

How common are the Massey 150's?

I am starting to give more consideration to the possibility of buying a Massey 150 but they don't seem to be nearly as common as the 135 so getting one, let alone getting one in good condition, might not be easy. There was one recently listed on Craigslist for a little over $3000 but the guy went and put it on eBay so it is gone as far as I'm concerned because I wouldn't use eBay if they had the last tractor on earth. Been there done that and got burned every time. I don't quite have all the cash yet so it doesn't really matter anyway.

For that matter, even finding a Massey 135 in good condition for a reasonable price is looking like it will be anything but easy. Most of the ones I have seen are either beat to crap or have been prettied up with rattle cans and listed as restored for $5000 or more. I've even seen a few topping the $7000 price range. Are you effing kidding me? No thanks.

Fortunately, I'm just window shopping for now, but when I finally have all the cash I'll need, I am not optimistic that I'll be able to find anything in good condition, for a decent price, within driving distance, in a reasonable amount of time. Come to think of it, I can feel that "I want it now" syndrome creeping into my blood so I've got to keep reminding myself to keep that in check and remain patient.

Tractor shopping is a pain in the arse.

On one hand, you have dealers trying to make as much profit as possible and on the other hand you have sellerss who think their tractors are made of solid gold which is only further complicated by dealers disguising themselves as private sellers. It's almost enough to make one want to rent an excavator and say to heck with it. Almost but not quite, I'm stubborn like that.

Sorry for the mini rant. :)

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 135 or 150 #35  
There's no way of knowing exactly how many of any of the 100 series were built. Serial numbers amongst the 135, 150, 165, 175, and 180/185 were mixed together.

It is ESTIMATED that US production of 135's numbered somewhere in the range of 235,000 units over it's 11 year run, making it the largest single model of the series. (and far more than that total in overseas production of the 135) 165's were the next most common, followed by 150's then 175's, followed by the 180/185.

By the time when 150's were being built, farmers were EITHER staying very small, OR, getting "big". The 150 was essentially a "tillage tractor" varient of the 135. If a farmer wanted something bigger than the 135, it was more common to go to the 52hp 165, or even bigger. However....The 150 was incredibly popular in certain regions of the country, Kentucky and Tennessee being amongst those areas of popularity. You'll find 150's around here far more common than other parts of the country.

I've got two 150's currently. I know of dozens in this area. Funny thing about them, MOST people who own one wouldn't part with it for any amount. They're just that good of a tractor. IMHO, it's the handiest utility tractor ever built. I've joked about having my family bury me with my 150. I'm that attached to it!

It is ESTIMATED that US production of 135's numbered somewhere in the range of 235,000 units over it's 11 year run, making it the largest single model of the series. (and far more than that total in overseas production of the 135) 165's were the next most common, followed by 150's then 175's, followed by the 180/185.

That explains why I keep finding the UK models when I search for information about the Massey 135. Fortunately, they are easily recognized by the headlights and emblem location.

I've got two 150's currently. I know of dozens in this area. Funny thing about them, MOST people who own one wouldn't part with it for any amount. They're just that good of a tractor. IMHO, it's the handiest utility tractor ever built. I've joked about having my family bury me with my 150. I'm that attached to it!

I've noticed that too. Old Massy tractors have a loyal group of followers, especially among the old timers. You have to wait on someone to die and hope their relatives decided to sell it which is 50/50 at best because often times the relatives keep it. When they do become available, they are either trashed or priced through the roof.

No matter, I'm very stubborn so it's only a matter of time before I find the right one. And if money is the deciding factor, so be it. :)

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150 #37  
Then take a look @ photos in this thread....
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/general-vintage-tractors/96672-36-years-ago.html
If that doesn't do the trick, by a plane ticket and come to Kentucky to see it in person.. ;)

Thanks for the offer! Rather than planes, I typically travel via an old PU truck and camper - sometimes do a little fishing, too. I may be that way in the next year.

Here's a MF history site I found if anyone else is looking for photos:
MF100_1100

Interesting bit about the MF135 4WD tractors, too.
rScotty

Interesting bit about the MF135 4WD tractors, too.

I thought the 4x4 version of the Massey 135 was interesting too but it doesn't look like they were ever sold in the US or if they were, they are extremely rare.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150 #39  
Some points I've learned from my experience with my old 135 diesel: (1) Transmission lockup is common - caused by weak detent springs and fixable so don't let it throw you. A "lockup" can be easily fixed using a screwdriver through the oil filler cap hole. (2) You WILL have some kind of steering problem with an old 135. It's fixable. (3) It's easy to replace the old 12v generator with a new alternator. (4) PTO brake will most likely be shot. Hard to fix but not a deal-breaker. (5) PTO seal will be leaking. Easy fix. (6) 3-point hydraulics won't hold position without motor running - not easy to fix, but also no deal-breaker. In short, you or a close friend should be mechanically inclined before you buy on of these, unless you have money to burn, in which case you would want a newer tractor. Good luck!!

/ Massey Ferguson 135 or 150 #40  
I have a 165 gas perkins and love it. Make sure both brakes work and are not leaking as evidenced by oil around wheels. Brake replacement is not difficult. If you can get one with a front-loader you will not be sorry. I do not know why I went so many years without one. Even clutch replacement is not as difficult as one would expect. In retrospect, I think I would be happier with the smaller 135. Everything on the 165 is so heavy making working on it a pain.