Just Bought a 72 Massey 135

/ Just Bought a 72 Massey 135 #1  

TexasChris

Tractor
Massey 135
Im new to the forum it looks like there is some really good advice here! Im hoping someone can help me with a problem im having with my 72 MF 135. everything seems to be in great working order but the throttle. It functions great and will rev the engine all the way to 2300 rpms but it will not keep the engine reved up it always pulls its self back to 1500 rpm is there something out of adjustment? If it makes any diff it has a perkins 3 cyl gas engine. Thanks for any help.

TexasChris

/ Just Bought a 72 Massey 135 #2  
Follow the throttle lever where it goes through the dash. Just below the dash, you'll find where there is a couple cork washers sandwiched between steel disc's, held in tension by a "spider" shaped spring washer. There's a couple adjusting bolts there. Try tightening them SLIGHTLY and see what happens. Don't over tighten. Try about 1 full turn on each nut/bolt.

If that doesn't cure the problem, go visit the AGCO/MF parts guys. The cork washers, friction disc's, and spider washer altogether were less than $20 last set I bought. The entire rebuild won't take 10 minutes and you'll get another 40 years (+ or -) out of it.....

For a temporary fix, you can simply replace the cork washers (with new ones cut from sheet cork gasket material) but you'll probably be replacing the friction washers soon, shortly after the quick fix....BTDT....

/ Just Bought a 72 Massey 135
Thanks for the help ill check it out in the morning. Somehow I knew id get the right answer here!

ok finally got a chance to check it out....... and unfortunately im not finding these nuts and bolts to put a turn on. bare with me ill figure it out eventually!
so I followed the throttle lever through the dash no nuts and bolts a spring and a couple of washers there then it goes to two ball swivel type joints (sorry for the wrong terminoligy) do i need to follow it further?

/ Just Bought a 72 Massey 135 #5  
ok finally got a chance to check it out....... and unfortunately im not finding these nuts and bolts to put a turn on. bare with me ill figure it out eventually!
so I followed the throttle lever through the dash no nuts and bolts a spring and a couple of washers there then it goes to two ball swivel type joints (sorry for the wrong terminoligy) do i need to follow it further?

I think you've gone too far.....I'll see if I can find a parts breakdown I can load up on the ol' 'net so as to show you what to look for.

i would greatly appreciate it. Also you seem very knowledgable about the 135 tractor, is the tractor capable of pulling a 6' boxblade or should I just stick with a 5 footer?

Thanks
Chris

/ Just Bought a 72 Massey 135 #7  
FWJ is our resident expert without question.

I've never used a back blade on mine but have moved a ton of dirt and snow with my 7 foot back blade. It really depends what type of work you plan to use it for, mine has never wanted for more power but traction has sometimes been an issue as a 2WD tractor. I just pull a little smaller load. I have my rears loaded, no chains.

/ Just Bought a 72 Massey 135 #8  
HI Chris, welcome to the fraternity of happy 135 owners! I bought mine, a '69 135 Perkins diesel, about 7 years ago. I had to repair the multipower linkage, the generator (replaced with an alternator); the throttle (like yours); the power steering; the PTO shaft seal; and many other items too numerous to mention. I learned it's foolish not to buy a shop manual so I bought one. Also at some point your gearshift might lock up. It's an easy fix so don't despair, just come to the forum here for help. I've been amazed at the rock solid reliability of my old Massey, and I think you will also. Welcome aboard!

/ Just Bought a 72 Massey 135 #9  
Im new to the forum it looks like there is some really good advice here! Im hoping someone can help me with a problem im having with my 72 MF 135. everything seems to be in great working order but the throttle. It functions great and will rev the engine all the way to 2300 rpms but it will not keep the engine reved up it always pulls its self back to 1500 rpm is there something out of adjustment? If it makes any diff it has a perkins 3 cyl gas engine. Thanks for any help.

TexasChris

Congrats on your 135 purchase. Mine is a 1964 MF135 deluxe with multipower.

Get the operator, service and parts manuals. Mine are from Jensales (copies of the shop manuals)

Tractor & Equipment Manuals - Repair, Shop, Parts, Operators & Owners

I have several I&T brand manuals and find them not to be as useful as the ones from Jensales.

Have fun tractorin' :).

/ Just Bought a 72 Massey 135 #10  
If I remember correctly it right behind the air filter, just below the dash sheet metal.