MF 135 Carb Leaking Gas (1967? Continental Gas)

/ MF 135 Carb Leaking Gas (1967? Continental Gas) #1  

CreekRRTRN

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
I ran the tractor almost all day Sat....this morning I noticed large puddle under the tractor. It appears that where the choke cable attaches to the carb was leaking gas with a steady drip. I took the carb off and went ahead and removed the fuel line and sediment bowl to give it all a good cleaning. I'm not a mechanic by any means so I'm wondering if I need to replace the whole carb or can the mechanism where the choke attaches be repaired/replaced to stop the leaking? Thanks for any guidance y'all can give me!

/ MF 135 Carb Leaking Gas (1967? Continental Gas) #2  
I ran the tractor almost all day Sat....this morning I noticed large puddle under the tractor. It appears that where the choke cable attaches to the carb was leaking gas with a steady drip. I took the carb off and went ahead and removed the fuel line and sediment bowl to give it all a good cleaning. I'm not a mechanic by any means so I'm wondering if I need to replace the whole carb or can the mechanism where the choke attaches be repaired/replaced to stop the leaking? Thanks for any guidance y'all can give me!

I don't believe the choke is the problem.And I don't believe you need to replace the carb. With a good cleaning and some work on the float valve system and you should be good to go. Another thing you want to do is to shut the fuel valve off at the tank when you shut down to preclude a hung float from filling the engine with fuel when the engine isn't running.

It's most likely the float level/float valve that is the problem. Your float could have a leak and it's filled with fuel and causing the fuel bowl to be overfilled constantly since the float won't rise and shut off the fuel.

You can also have a good float but an improper adjustment of the float level that is not allowing the float valve to close.

Sometmes the float can "hang" on the side of the fuel bowl and not close. A sharp rap with a wooded block can cause it to "un-hang".

Finally, the float valve itself can be damaged and is not sealing properly.

To check for these problems remove the carb and remove the float. Is the float feel heavy or does it have fuel in it? if so, look for a pin hole. If you put it in a pan of warm water you'll see some bubbles where the leak is at. You can let the fuel drain out and then solder the hole closed.

Many float valves have a viton tipped needle vale that can dry out or get deformed and not seal. Replace it.

You need to really reef the float valve down into the body of the carb to make sure it seals and fuel does not leak around the gasket and threads.

You need to adjust the floats to the correct level to make sure the carb meteing section functions properly.

/ MF 135 Carb Leaking Gas (1967? Continental Gas) #3  

I don't believe the choke is the problem.And I don't believe you need to replace the carb. With a good cleaning and some work on the float valve system and you should be good to go. Another thing you want to do is to shut the fuel valve off at the tank when you shut down to preclude a hung float from filling the engine with fuel when the engine isn't running.

It's most likely the float level/float valve that is the problem. Your float could have a leak and it's filled with fuel and causing the fuel bowl to be overfilled constantly since the float won't rise and shut off the fuel.

You can also have a good float but an improper adjustment of the float level that is not allowing the float valve to close.

Sometmes the float can "hang" on the side of the fuel bowl and not close. A sharp rap with a wooded block can cause it to "un-hang".

Finally, the float valve itself can be damaged and is not sealing properly.

To check for these problems remove the carb and remove the float. Is the float feel heavy or does it have fuel in it? if so, look for a pin hole. If you put it in a pan of warm water you'll see some bubbles where the leak is at. You can let the fuel drain out and then solder the hole closed.

Many float valves have a viton tipped needle valve that can dry out or get deformed and not seal. Replace it.

You need to really reef the float valve down into the body of the carb to make sure it seals and fuel does not leak around the gasket and threads.

You need to adjust the floats to the correct level to make sure the carb meteing section functions properly.

/ MF 135 Carb Leaking Gas (1967? Continental Gas)
I appreciate the info. I gave up today and took it to the local MF dealer to have them rebuild.

/ MF 135 Carb Leaking Gas (1967? Continental Gas) #5  
I have a 135 with the 3 cyl gas and zenith carb. This is the carb with the fuel solenoid. Mine leaks when I'm trying to start the engine. When I crank it leaks. I recently had the carb repaired and my suspicion is the float level. How do I adjust this?
Thanks

/ MF 135 Carb Leaking Gas (1967? Continental Gas) #6  
While I am more familiar with the Marvel-Schebler carbs, try rapping the carb with block of wood. If the float is "hanging"( rubbing on the side of the fuel bowl) this might free it. This condition is caused by wear in the pin and hinge that the float pivots on. It can also be caused by too high a float setting. Sorry I can't be of more help but I never worked on a Zenith.

/ MF 135 Carb Leaking Gas (1967? Continental Gas) #7  
I've had carburetor flooding problems for a long time in my TO-35 Carter UT carburetor. The problem started exactly when the needles and seats started coming from China . They seal for a few days, and then leak . I have to jockey the fuel shutoff valve with starting and stopping the engine to avoid a flood. While the engine is running, it uses enough fuel to compensate for the needle/seat leakage. I've checked and adjusted every other aspect of the carburetor several times.
It may be that the Chinese don't know we use ethanol in our gasoline, or don't care.

/ MF 135 Carb Leaking Gas (1967? Continental Gas) #8  
new viton tipped needles? I usually set them in their seats then give them a good tap from a tack hammer and punch to 'set' a ring in them.. usually prevents leaks after that.

/ MF 135 Carb Leaking Gas (1967? Continental Gas) #9  
new viton tipped needles? I usually set them in their seats then give them a good tap from a tack hammer and punch to 'set' a ring in them.. usually prevents leaks after that.

Interesting idea . I'll give it a try next time I have the carburetor apart.

/ MF 135 Carb Leaking Gas (1967? Continental Gas) #10  
can't hurt to try.

has for sure worked for me when I had to convert from brass needle / seat to viton, and the viton did not want to seal good.

best of luck!