3-Point Hitch MF 135 Lift Cover and Arms

/ MF 135 Lift Cover and Arms #1  

gary55s

Tractor
1972 MF 135
I have a 1972 MF 135 with the Perkins 3cyl diesel. The lift arm bushings, draft control plunger, draft control spring, draft control nut, draft control boot, clevis, and etc... all need replacing. Is this a job a shade tree mechanic should do? My concern is 1 - crushing the stand pipes when I replace the lift cover. 2-alignment of the lift arm spline if the shaft has to be removed to replace the bushings.

Any advice?

/ MF 135 Lift Cover and Arms #2  
I have a 1972 MF 135 with the Perkins 3cyl diesel. The lift arm bushings, draft control plunger, draft control spring, draft control nut, draft control boot, clevis, and etc... all need replacing. Is this a job a shade tree mechanic should do? My concern is 1 - crushing the stand pipes when I replace the lift cover. 2-alignment of the lift arm spline if the shaft has to be removed to replace the bushings.

Any advice?

Shouldn't be a problem if you use an engine hoist or overhead gantry crane to handle the lift cover when removing and reinstalling.

Good luck.

/ MF 135 Lift Cover and Arms #3  

Any advice?

I haven't done it but taking the lift cover off looks pretty easy. The rest of the stuff is pretty easy except for removing the lift arms from the rockshaft and getting the bushings out. Go to Yesterday'sTractors and check the archives. You'll get some info and some tips. Make sure you index the lift arms to the rockshaft and the lever that the dog bone goes into on the rock shaft to the rock shaft. Index the lift arms to the rock shaft cover.

/ MF 135 Lift Cover and Arms #4  
I did mine, with the help of a neighbour to lift it off. Difficult because most of the weight is towards the rear. If you have an engine hoist or similar lift I strongly recommend using it, the weight load distribution and having one person at the rear of the tractor and another at the side makes it awkward to say the least, it is fairly heavy.

As far as the standpipe is concerned, I removed it through the divertor valve prior to removal of the cover, installed it after the cover was installed. I used wax string on the bushing during installation, hardest part of the job was getting the nut off to access the boot / draft control spring once I had it off.

/ MF 135 Lift Cover and Arms #5  
Get a service manual if possible, right side cover needs removed first as there is a linkage roller to be removed between pump lever arms before lift cover can be removed. If tractor has pressure control standpipe will pull up slightly but will stay with cover, pipe will pull out if no pressure control linkage after transfer cap or aux valve is removed. Lift arms have a master wide spline so can only go back one way. MF or IT manuals will show any adjustments needed on assembly.