MF 135 Loader Hydraulics weak and slow

/ MF 135 Loader Hydraulics weak and slow #1  

MrFar

Tractor
Massey 135
Just bought the tractor and when I went to use the loader I found that it won't lift more than about 100 lbs of material and is very slow to lift even when empty. On down pressure it will lift the wheels but when I release the lever the front drops back to he ground. The loader will hold up in place but gradually will fall back down several inches over a few(10) mins. It held in place over night falling only slightly when off. Fluid looks clean on the stick and I added more(TDH) to bring it back up to full from the low line. All the side controls seem to operate correctly and the 3 point raises and lowers smoothly with no load so far though. I have searched and read quite a few posts and sounds like the filter should be checked and cleaned. Also there is mention of a pressure release valve, but I haven't found out exactly where that is. The Pto is the 3 position one. Suggestions on where to begin would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this.

Thanks
Mark in Canada eh.

/ MF 135 Loader Hydraulics weak and slow #2  
Mark, is the loader hocked up to the tractor hydraulics or does it have its own pump. The loaders on the 135 will operate slow because they were not intended to have a loader on them. It does sound like your cylinders may be by-passing and needs a kit to replace the orings and seals. If you want to check the filter it is a metal screen located in the belly of the tractor accessed by removing the side plate on the tractor. They cost around $25.
Jeremy

/ MF 135 Loader Hydraulics weak and slow
Thanks for the reply. Its sharing the tractor hydraulics via a 3 way valve under the seat. Are you referring to the seals in the pump or cylinders?

Mark

/ MF 135 Loader Hydraulics weak and slow #4  
IIRC, the total flow from the built-in hydraulic pump on the 135 is only about 4.5 gallons/min--pretty small flow for operating the FEL (my 135 is a 1964 deluxe model with multipower). Not surprising that the FEL is sluggish and weak.

I realize the loader will be slow,but if has 2500 psi available, would it still not be able to lift a bucket of soil?

/ MF 135 Loader Hydraulics weak and slow #6  
The reference was to the cylinders/actuators bypassing internally I believe, robbing you of some of your lift cabability.

You say when you release the joystick after lifting the front end it falls to the ground. Does that happen quickly or gradually?

The front wheels fall back to the ground in less than 2 secs.

/ MF 135 Loader Hydraulics weak and slow #8  
Rebuild you lift cylinders .....assuming your 3 point will lift a heavy load normally. if its a problem on both ends you may have a internal pump issue that needs addressed.

My mf35 had a external front pump and it would lift the whole rear end off the ground... no relief valve go till something blows like a hose..

/ MF 135 Loader Hydraulics weak and slow #9  
Three possible culprits: pump, valve, or cylinder. Maybe a combination. If it holds better with the motor off that is interesting. Bypassing fluid will make some noise so a mechanic's stethoscope may help identify the source(s).

Mechanic's Stethoscope | Princess Auto

Just to clarify, the loader will hold in up position falling only slightly(engine on or off). In down position and wheels off the ground it falls quite quickly(less than 2 secs and engine on). The rear lift overnight will fall several inches, if this is significant. I will try and test the rear lift capability and see what happens.