Loader MF 135

/ MF 135 #1  

tattoo1979

Tractor
massey ferguson 135
Just need some thoughts!!!!!!!
I have a 135 with a 300 allied loader and is slow and not as powerful as needed and im finding my tracton hydraulics only produse 4.5 gpm now would a pto hydraulic pump that produces higher volume be the solution. Just a thought i was looking them up last night and the ones i found range from 10 to 25 gpm witch would be a conciderable gain.....
Thanks jamie

/ MF 135 #2  
I have a very similar problem and hope that someone could help us find an answer. I have a MF65 with a loader on it and it also produces around 4.5 gpm. The loader is very slow. I have done a ton of research on it and I think I have it down to a few different problems.

First is to see if your pump is actually producing what it should. I believe putting a flow meter between the pump and the controls will tell you if you have proper gpm.

If that works out I believe you have to check flow after the controls. (There may be a problem in the control, limiting output). I believe if this checks out then there are two problems that could be left.

Next would be to check that the cylinders are rated at your gpm. From what I have read if they are rated at 20gpm and you are using 4.5 it will be slow. If those are rated properly then my only assumption is that there is something in the line somewhere. I guess you could put your flow meter right before the cylinders to make sure it is getting 4.5 all the way through to them.

If everything checks out then I guess the external pump is the way to go. Only problem there is from what I read is that if you add a pump that pumps 20-25 gpm then you also need at least that much fluid. My 65 only holds around 12-14 gallons of fluid. (I believe around there). If you do not add more fluid then I believe that the hydro fluid will become hot.

All this is only my understanding of all the research I have done. I am hoping that someone can tell me if I am correct or not. I hope this is at least a begining to a long thread with many answers.

Note: I have not done any flow meter testing yet. My tractor is at a piece of land approx an hour away. As soon as I do some testing I will let you know my results. Hopefully someone that understands all this better than you and I helps out before I get to that point.

Have an excellent day.

/ MF 135 #4  
Just need some thoughts!!!!!!!
I have a 135 with a 300 allied loader and is slow and not as powerful as needed and im finding my tracton hydraulics only produse 4.5 gpm now would a pto hydraulic pump that produces higher volume be the solution. Just a thought i was looking them up last night and the ones i found range from 10 to 25 gpm witch would be a conciderable gain.....
Thanks jamie

The pump flow rate is what controls the speed of a hydraulic actuator. The pump pressure and the piston area determine the available force and the geometry determines the direction and magnitude of the force.
So if you want to speed up your loader you are on the right track-more flow.
You can easily mount a rear pump on the pto but you'll need a source of fluid so you'll need a reservior with it. You can also look into a front pump that is driven by a small shaft connected to the crankshaft pulley and again you'll need a reservior for the system fluid.

You might want to ask this question on the Hydraulics Forum, above and get some other ideas and opinions.

I have a Ford 4610 with a loader and I use the main hydraulic pump for it. It's slow, but it gets the job done for me. I have the option of having another pump that can tie into the existing system that is driven off the flywheel ring gear. It would probably cost about $1000 to rig that system up with the proper OEM plumbing and pump. To be honest with you, we use the tractor on our ranch and not in a commercial application so I don't have to be in a hurry and the existing system works fine for me.

I would imagine it will cost you ~$1000 for all the components to do what you want to do if you can do the installation your self. Your $'s , your choice.

/ MF 135 #5  
Check this out before you spend the money.I'm looking at my busted MF 65 spindle which measures 1.300" at its sheared off end. It is a MF 90 loader that I built a 55" wide bucket for and was hauling a load of manure for my neighbor and going plenty slow when it snapped. What I am saying is that if you baby it the tractor should hold up to it but is not really built for it unless you have an industrial version. That 4.5 gallon pump on mine lifted 1200lb. of our 1130 weights as a trial before I bought it but it is slow. Good luck as they are great tractors. I have attached my tractor video moving snow. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b63FPqMfBtMm[/ame]

/ MF 135 #6  
I also busted my spindle on a mf65. We have used it for more than 15 years moving 5.5 x4 ft bales of hay. Sometimes it is just time to break. When replacing the spindle it looked as if it has been cracked a while, it was rusty at the break point and it snapped at an upward angle not smooth across.

When I say my MF moves slow I mean about 50 seconds to a min and ten seconds to the midway up to the top.

So 50 seconds and the loader is out front of you. To the top you are looking at a min and ten seconds.

What is your definition of slow?

/ MF 135 #7  
That is definitely slower than mine, I would guess about 6 seconds from bottom to top and that would be fully loaded and the bucket I built is 500lb. all by itself.