Tractor
    MF135

Default MF 135 Clutch shims?

Just wondered if anyone had come across shims used between the flywheel and clutch cover trapped by the hold down bolts. We removed a Laycock 10 spline twin plate unit with twin purple springs off our 1969 cranked front axle tractor and its had these 3 shims fitted in it between the flywheel and assembly
    The supplier of the new clutch assembly which has single red springs, Agriline, have no part info for these shims and they are not shown on the MF135 service manual either
    Has anyone come across these shims fitted?
    I cant see the purpose as fitting will reduce the available pressure on the main clutch plate, as it will lift the whole assembly away from the flywheel
    the reason for stripping it was the fact the thrust release bearing
    had seized after 10 years use and destroyed the clutch levers but the plates themeselves were still fine with no slipping of the two clutches and releasing fine

any ideas appreciated
    Nige over the pond in the UK
    BTW we are fitting an after market power assisted kit to our other straight axle 135 so will post pics and help on how it went
    Last edited by stapleford; 04-14-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF 85 diesel, TO 35 diesel, 165 diesel, IH Hydro 84 diesel, MF Super 90 diesel puller, Agri Power 7000, 8000, and 9000 diesels, MF 205 diesel

Default Re: MF 135 Clutch shims?

All I have seen on MF dual clutch tractors is a full circle shim, may have been called an air ring. Will see if my old MF service book shows it in clutch repair section.

Tractor
    MF135

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseltech View Post
    All I have seen on MF dual clutch tractors is a full circle shim, may have been called an air ring. Will see if my old MF service book shows it in clutch repair section.
    Thanks
    i have the MF manual on CD but it doesnt show these shims which will upset the pressure on the new clutch which is preset at manf

G'day check the 'pot depth' of the flywheel ( from the surface where the friction disc runs to the mounting surface for the pressure plate) your clutch supplier should be able to tell you what it should be for their clutch, some clutches will not disengage properly without the shims.

Jon

Tractor
    MF135

Quote Originally Posted by banjodunn View Post
    G'day check the 'pot depth' of the flywheel ( from the surface where the friction disc runs to the mounting surface for the pressure plate) your clutch supplier should be able to tell you what it should be for their clutch, some clutches will not disengage properly without the shims.

Jon
    agree, but the supplier in the uk Agriline havent heard of these shims
    i can only think as you say thie clutch fitted wouldnt dissengage so they shimmed it
    does anyone have the standard dimension?

G'day my supplier tells me 39.75mm if it is a 12"clutch and 44.5mm (45.5mm if shim fitted) for an 11"clutch they also list 4 different clutches being used in 135s. Hope this helps

Jon

Tractor
    MF135

Quote Originally Posted by banjodunn View Post
    G'day my supplier tells me 39.75mm if it is a 12"clutch and 44.5mm (45.5mm if shim fitted) for an 11"clutch they also list 4 different clutches being used in 135s. Hope this helps

Jon
    Hi
    Thanks for that i will check what we have on saturday then, it has the older smaller plates