MF 135 Clutch shims?

/ MF 135 Clutch shims? #1  

stapleford

Tractor
MF135
Just wondered if anyone had come across shims used between the flywheel and clutch cover trapped by the hold down bolts. We removed a Laycock 10 spline twin plate unit with twin purple springs off our 1969 cranked front axle tractor and its had these 3 shims fitted in it between the flywheel and assembly
The supplier of the new clutch assembly which has single red springs, Agriline, have no part info for these shims and they are not shown on the MF135 service manual either
Has anyone come across these shims fitted?
I cant see the purpose as fitting will reduce the available pressure on the main clutch plate, as it will lift the whole assembly away from the flywheel
the reason for stripping it was the fact the thrust release bearing
had seized after 10 years use and destroyed the clutch levers but the plates themeselves were still fine with no slipping of the two clutches and releasing fine

shim1.JPG

shim2.JPG

any ideas appreciated
Nige over the pond in the UK
BTW we are fitting an after market power assisted kit to our other straight axle 135 so will post pics and help on how it went

Last edited:
   / MF 135 Clutch shims? #2  
All I have seen on MF dual clutch tractors is a full circle shim, may have been called an air ring. Will see if my old MF service book shows it in clutch repair section.

/ MF 135 Clutch shims?
All I have seen on MF dual clutch tractors is a full circle shim, may have been called an air ring. Will see if my old MF service book shows it in clutch repair section.

Thanks
i have the MF manual on CD but it doesnt show these shims which will upset the pressure on the new clutch which is preset at manf

/ MF 135 Clutch shims? #4  
G'day check the 'pot depth' of the flywheel ( from the surface where the friction disc runs to the mounting surface for the pressure plate) your clutch supplier should be able to tell you what it should be for their clutch, some clutches will not disengage properly without the shims.

Jon

/ MF 135 Clutch shims?
G'day check the 'pot depth' of the flywheel ( from the surface where the friction disc runs to the mounting surface for the pressure plate) your clutch supplier should be able to tell you what it should be for their clutch, some clutches will not disengage properly without the shims.

Jon

agree, but the supplier in the uk Agriline havent heard of these shims
i can only think as you say thie clutch fitted wouldnt dissengage so they shimmed it
does anyone have the standard dimension?

/ MF 135 Clutch shims? #6  
G'day my supplier tells me 39.75mm if it is a 12"clutch and 44.5mm (45.5mm if shim fitted) for an 11"clutch they also list 4 different clutches being used in 135s:mur:. Hope this helps

Jon

/ MF 135 Clutch shims?
G'day my supplier tells me 39.75mm if it is a 12"clutch and 44.5mm (45.5mm if shim fitted) for an 11"clutch they also list 4 different clutches being used in 135s:mur:. Hope this helps

Jon

Hi
Thanks for that i will check what we have on saturday then, it has the older smaller plates