My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
I keep hearing you talk down on the use of eBay and PayPal. Sounds like you've had a bad experience that has soured your use of either. I've found some really good leads thru eBay to some rock solid sellers willing to go the extra mile to help you.

Perhaps I should clarify my position about eBay and PayPal. I do use eBay but only as a last resort, and only to find leads which accept alternative payment methods external to eBay and PayPal. In other words, I call them directly, if they have something I want, are an established company, and have a phone number in their ad. Otherwise, I refuse to use eBay or PayPal.

I hear you talk about being SOL without part numbers and mentioned numerous times you have manuals on order.

Try this site you'll like it and you can print part numbers and exploded diagrams to match. Use this info to track down the elusive parts you speak of. I have one contact in North Carolina that can get me just about any parts listed with AGCO.

Try this site and log in using the guest option.
AGCO Parts Books

Parts aren't exactly elusive for the Massey 135, I'm simply taking my time about getting them, plus I want to be certain that the parts are good quality.

Like you, I have contacts (local and otherwise) which can get me most Massey Ferguson parts sold by AGCO. I have learned that only a few companies actually manufacture parts, which are then distributed by other companies like AGCO. Distributors aside, it seems that TISCO and A&I are the two major sources for parts, and while A&I is considerably cheaper than TISCO, I remain uncertain about the quality of either. There is also sparex.com which is based in the United Kingdom, but I don't know much about them.

It was only recently, that I became aware of the agcopartsbooks.com website because noone was kind enough to suggest it, until now. However, I still wanted the OEM parts manual because websites come and go. By the way, the parts manual I ordered arrived yesterday, and I now have all three manuals.

I thought you where going with an alternator. That's What I'm currently working on and replacing the ammeter with a voltmeter made for tractors with a 2" whole. I'm also going to put a petronix electronic ignition kit. Screw those points and condensers. I quit doing that stuff back in the sixties. The choice to use an alternator is I'm adding caution lights and better lighting.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm going with the original electrical system simply for the sake of nostalgia. Don't get me wrong, I'm highly qualified in the area of electronics and wiring, it's just that I like tinkering with the old stuff.

Where did you find the heat shield?

The manifold heat shield wasn't easy to find, but I lucked out and found one at a salvage yard. It was the only one they had.

Last edited:
   / My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #92  
Hard to say when the retaining pin may have been missed. I'm like you, as an aircraft maintainer I learned long ago lay things out and take note during disassembly, use cardboard if you have to when the number / variety of pieces / fasteners warrant it.

Did you get the rocker shaft assembly you ordered yet?

Hard to say when the retaining pin may have been missed. I'm like you, as an aircraft maintainer I learned long ago lay things out and take note during disassembly, use cardboard if you have to when the number / variety of pieces / fasteners warrant it.

Did you get the rocker shaft assembly you ordered yet?

Since you maintain aircraft, you definitely know the importance of proper organization for disassembly/reassembly of an engine. In the past, I've cringed when I saw people tearing down an engine and pulling out parts with no regard for where they went. It's fine if you're going to replace the parts, but if the parts are going to be reused, they must go back where they came from or excessive wear is likely to occur.

The used rocker assembly I ordered isn't due to arrive yet. If all goes well with shipping, I estimate that it should be here sometime next week. I must admit that I'm apprehensive about having ordering a used rocker assembly, but it was much easier, and perhaps even cheaper, than the alternative. Only time will tell if I made the right choice.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #94  
Drive friends crazy when I start poking holes in cardboard and insert lift rods / valves etc by cylinder number. Beats throwing them in a pile on the workbench.

I would be willing myself to chance it when the time comes, properly installed they should have worn very little if any. Made of sterner stuff in those days.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #95  
Drive friends crazy when I start poking holes in cardboard and insert lift rods / valves etc by cylinder number. Beats throwing them in a pile on the workbench.

I would be willing myself to chance it when the time comes, properly installed they should have worn very little if any. Made of sterner stuff in those days.

I use a lot of Ziplock plastic bags when I disassemble a tractor for restoration. Found out it's better to write info on the bag contents on a Post-it and put it inside the bag. Using a pen or Magic Marker to write on the outside of the bag usually causes me grief (grease and oil eventually obliterate this writing).

Change of plans.

After having restored many cars over the years, everything I know tells me that since I've got my tractor torn down this far, it makes more sense to go all the way, now, not later. If the lower half of the engine needs an overhaul (doubtful), it will get one, even if finances are a little tight right now. The front end is coming off, followed by the timing cover and oil pan. No problems have been found, I just want to have a look inside the oil pan, especially at the oil pickup screen and main/rod bearings.

Besides, even if my tractor were together right now, I won't really need to use it until this fall because I finished most of my "tractor work" before I began taking it apart.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #97  
Great thread. Keep posting please. Not the world's best fixer here - but interested in learning as I have just had a bunch of time freed up to get back out on the farm... Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

After burning the midnight oil, about 3 hours worth, the front end assembly is off my tractor. As I suspected, the center axle pivot bushing is heavily worn, but the pin looks like it will be ok after a good cleaning. I also used my 3 jaw puller to remove the crank pulley. The only thing that remains to be done is removing the timing cover and oil pan, although I'm going to leave those on for now. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but plan to take some tomorrow.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #99  
Having until the Fall should give you sufficient time to do everything you want to accomplish, and at a pace that hopefully will allow you to enjoy it rather than having to get it done because your livlihood depends on it.

I think you've made the right decision and look forward to following your progress (easy to spend someone elses time and money), will be a very interesting post to follow. :thumbsup:

Having until the Fall should give you sufficient time to do everything you want to accomplish, and at a pace that hopefully will allow you to enjoy it rather than having to get it done because your livlihood depends on it.

I think you've made the right decision and look forward to following your progress (easy to spend someone elses time and money), will be a very interesting post to follow. :thumbsup:

For me, restoring my tractor is over half the fun. Using it is just a bonus to me.

It's probably obvious by now, but I never get in a hurry and like to take my time. Although I do tend to get carried away with the details, so there is no telling how much I'll do before it's finished. Knowing me, I'll have taken it completely apart and put it back together again as good as new. Been there, done that many times while restoring old cars. Actually, restoring a tractor seems easy by comparison, especially since there's no interior to have to mess with.