My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
ofwvhw.jpg

amei6a.jpg

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #102  
I share your enthuiasm for refurbishing old vehicles, whatever they are. One of my first jobs was wet sanding and tapng off vehicles in my fathers' body shop, $20 a car. That was hard work but good moey for a 14 year old in the mid 70s, and I learned a little about the trade while getting a chance to work with him, priceless!

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #103  
How was the crank pulley to take off, I read you used the three arm puller but I'm curious if you had to use more persuasion than you would have liked.

How was the crank pulley to take off, I read you used the three arm puller but I'm curious if you had to use more persuasion than you would have liked.

The crank pulley wasn't difficult to remove, but removing it does require removal of the complete front end assembly to gain access. Note that the threads on the crank pulley bolt aren't reversed, counterclockwise to loosen and clockwise to tighten.

Removing the front axle pivot pin and bushing was much more challenging, but I've encountered worse. The bushing was egg-shaped from excessive wear.

muzkh5.jpg

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #105  

Looks like you are doing a great job. I have one queation in one of the pics the floor looks like you have a vinyl floor in the garage is that what I see?

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #106  
My front end is getting a little sloppy as well, will need to do the same with mine.

A lot of work done so far, you're doing it up the right way, tear it apart and at least have a look at it and if it's good clean it up and put it back together. At the end you'll have something that will last another 40 or so years.

Looks like you are doing a great job. I have one queation in one of the pics the floor looks like you have a vinyl floor in the garage is that what I see?

The vinyl flooring was there when I bought the house/garage from the previous owner, who had planned to live in the garage (downstairs) until the house portion (upstairs) was finished. Only half the garage has it, and I've been gradually removing it so I can cover the floor with a more appropriate material. The house/garage property is next door to my home.

Did you get the rocker shaft assembly you ordered yet?

The used rocker assembly I ordered arrived today, and while it looked fine at first glance, pulling a few rockers off the shaft revealed that it's worn more than I can live with. It's not worn as badly as my original rocker assembly, but the wear still exceeds the maximum allowable OEM tolerances. I knew it was a gamble and feared this might happen, and all is not lost because I can return it, but this leaves me with my original problem of how to deal with the rocker shaft assembly.

A. I can purchase a new rocker shaft and bushings, then have the old rocker assembly rebuilt, all for about $150-$175.

B. I can buy a complete new rocker shaft assembly for $250 plus shipping.

I must admit that I'm on the virge of simply ordering a complete new rocker assembly and being done with it, once and for all. What would you do?

Last edited:
   / My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #109  
I'm all for reusing parts that are serviceable so I'd probably be double checking wear. If there were any signs of wear I'd probably go new rather than match slightly worn parts up with new.

I know, always easier to spend someone elses money.

This morning, I removed the water pump, timing cover, and oil pan. There was no sludge, the oil pickup screen was clean, and everything looked and felt great. I'll have to wait until I get some plastigage before I can check the main and rod bearings, but based on what I can see, I think they'll be ok. I even found two pieces of the cotter pins that had broken off from the rocker assembly.

I was going to wait to remove the timing cover and oil pan, but I couldn't resist the temptation to go ahead and remove them so I could look at everything.

I'm all for reusing parts that are serviceable so I'd probably be double checking wear. If there were any signs of wear I'd probably go new rather than match slightly worn parts up with new.

Rebuilding the rocker assembly would effectively make it a new part again, so old against new wouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking of buying a new one because it isn't much more money, and it would get it out of the way so I won't worry about it any more.