My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #111  
Rebuilding the rocker assembly would effectively make it a new part again, so old against new wouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking of buying a new one because it isn't much more money, and it would get it out of the way so I won't worry about it any more.

I can appreciate that, you've got a lot on the go. Great news about the crank and mains though.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
Here are more pictures of my progress.

2nu2d78.jpg

erim9l.jpg

11jvyw1.jpg

2m4danm.jpg

20qayc6.jpg

k9f38l.jpg

33li2y0.jpg

28jiteu.jpg

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #113  
MasseyWV said:
The vinyl flooring was there when I bought the house/garage from the previous owner, who had planned to live in the garage (downstairs) until the house portion (upstairs) was finished. Only half the garage has it, and I've been gradually removing it so I can cover the floor with a more appropriate material. The house/garage property is next door to my home.

I going to say wow what a smarmy garage with the vinyl floor amd all. :)

Has anyone ever done something really dumb, despite knowing better? So far, I've made two significant mistakes as I prepare to restore my tractor.

My first mistake was when I decided to order a used rocker assembly, thinking it would be anywhere close to being in acceptable condition. My second mistake was discovered this morning, as I was reading the shop manual I recently purchased. The shop manual was the problem, but more on that later.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #115  
MasseyWV said:
Has anyone ever done something really dumb, despite knowing better? So far, I've made two significant mistakes as I prepare to restore my tractor.

My first mistake was when I decided to order a used rocker assembly, thinking it would be anywhere close to being in acceptable condition. My second mistake was discovered this morning, as I was reading the shop manual I recently purchased. The shop manual was the problem, but more on that later.

I always have a thing or 2 that I feel foolish about on any project

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #116  

Heck yes! And it's always despite that annoying liitle voice in the back of my head trying to raise the flag before I do it. I usually end up pushing through and do it anyway, only to regret it later.

Not sure what that says about me................ my better half has a few suggestions.

My second mistake was discovered this morning, as I was reading the shop manual I recently purchased. The shop manual was the problem, but more on that later.

The next step of the preparations to restore my tractor is to remove and inspect the main and rod bearing caps, which also gives me the opportunity to inspect the oil pump.

However, when I was reading the service manual that I had recently purchased from Jensales, I discovered that major portions of the section covering the Continental Z-145 engine were missing. There was no mention of the oil pump inspection and overhaul procedures anywhere to be found. This led to further investigation, which also revealed that there were no carburetor inspection and overhaul procedures either. Who knows what else was missing.

Needless to say, I was furious so I promptly called Jensales to complain. Much to my surprise, they seemed to "know" that the manual was incomplete, which was only emphasized when I was asked if I knew where to get additional original manuals they could make master copies from. Seriously, are you effing kidding me? If I had original manuals, I would not be buying them. Long story short, I demanded a refund, and the manuals (all of them) are on their way back to Jensales. And to think, I had actually recommended Jensales.com to people. From now on, I will make a point to do just the opposite. I will NOT be fooled again.

This afternoon, I did as I should have done in the first place, and ordered OEM manuals from AGCO Publications, which were half the price of the overpriced photocopied manuals I had previously purchased from Jensales. Just in case anyone isn't familiar with it, the website for obtaining OEM Massey Ferguson owner/service/parts manuals is http://www.agcopubs.com

Here is a screenshot of my AGCO Publications order, showing the publication numbers and prices for each manual. Note that I also ordered the Perkins Gas/Diesel owners manual, just so I'd have it if it were ever needed in the future.

View attachment 266623

Last edited:
Lately, I haven't had much time to work on my tractor, but I have managed to perform a few small tasks. I'll have to wait for the new service manual to arrive before going much farther, so I'm sticking to the basics for now.

First, I cleaned, repaired, sandblasted and primed the manifold heat shield I recently purchased. Getting the heat shield clean presented quite a challenge, because it was coated in baked on gunk, but oven cleaner made the job much easier. Some minor dents were hammered out and a small tear was welded that had formed along the rolled edge after "Bubba" decided to bend it for whatever reason. The heat shield was sandblasted and primed after being tested for fit with the cylinder head temporarily put in place as shown below.

3wqoy.jpg

Next, I cleaned and degreased the oil pan using oven cleaner and a wire brush, followed by a thorough rinse with soapy water. Oven cleaner is an excellent degreaser, but I only use it on loose parts because it tends to be very corrosive and can cause premature rust if it isn't completely removed. The oil pan will be sandblasted prior to being primed and painted.

34eq13s.jpg

Lastly, I removed the lift arm assemblies so I could begin cleaning them later.

313kin9.jpg

Last edited:
   / My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #120  
Massey, I really enjoy watching the progress you are making on the tractor restoration. Thanks for the time and effort it takes to document the job and sharing it with us.:thumbsup: