My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
Wish I were home, I know my I&T Shop manual has the breakdowns for the carbs on the 134/145 but don't remember reading anything on the oil system. I know a lot of people will tell you these manuals leave a lot to be desired, and they do if you have no mechanical inclination, but to date I've found it has had everything I've needed.

I'm more concerned with reports that information contained in them is sometimes erroneous than reports regarding information that is missing.

I've heard similar reports that the I&T manuals may not always be accurate, but I'm planning to order one just so I'll have an additional source of information. I went with the OEM manuals because I assumed they would be the most complete, but sadly it seems that even they are somewhat lacking.

Getting information, let alone accurate information, is proving to be somewhat more difficult than I had imagined. Since it's Saturday, I'll have to wait until Monday to continue my quest to locate the missing parts of the OEM service manual.

In the mean time, if anyone has the OEM service manual for the Massey 35 tractor, which covers the Continental Z-134 gasoline engine, and would like to help me, please let me know. I have the OEM service manual for the Massey 135 tractor, but would like to know if the OEM service manual for the Massey 35 tractor may have the information I need before purchasing one.

Last edited:
Earlier today, 4 tubes of corn head grease I ordered to use in my steering box arrived. I just hope it doesn't give my old Massey indigestion. I'd spell out the brand name of the grease, but I'm careful to avoid using any words that might become inline text ads because I despise those things, with a passion.

bgbj9h.jpg

Today, I continued preparing many of the previously sandblasted parts for primer and paint. I like to let the parts "age" for a while after sandblasting them because any rust that was missed will quickly reappear, thus making it easier to locate and remove, either by sandblasting and/or sanding by hand.

2i27s6v.jpg

I'm always amazed at how many people think that using a pressure washer with some degreaser, and maybe "some" sanding, is adequate preparation for primer/paint, if they even bother to use primer. Sure, it might look good at first glance, but closer examination tells a different tale, plus any rust that remains will quickly re-emerge. In the image below, note the difference between the valve cover which has been properly prepared for paint, and the cylinder head which has not. This is often the difference between a good paint job and a bad one.

2mfly1c.jpg

Last edited:
Despite the improved quality, it appears that the AGCO Publications service manual is also missing some parts pertaining to the Continental Z-145 gasoline engine. Specifically, it appears to be missing the parts for the lubrication (oil) system, cooling system, fuel system, and ignition system.

After making a few phone calls, I may have finally located a reliable lead for finding the missing parts of the OEM manual covering the Continental Z-145 gasoline engine.

Well, it looks like the negative reports I've read online about Jensales.com were accurate afterall.

Despite their assurance that I would get a full refund, less shipping costs, they are now trying to hit me with a 35% restocking fee! What's wrong with this picture? They sell me manuals, I return the manuals, they keep 35%, and I get nothing for my trouble. I don't think so!

I've contacted my bank and will be requesting a charge-back after their partial refund clears the bank, if they did in fact issue a partial refund like they claimed. Either way, I'll know for certain by the end of the week, then we shall see about that 35% ripoff fee!

The next step of the preparations to restore my tractor is to remove and inspect the main and rod bearing caps, which also gives me the opportunity to inspect the oil pump.

However, when I was reading the service manual that I had recently purchased from Jensales, I discovered that major portions of the section covering the Continental Z-145 engine were missing. There was no mention of the oil pump inspection and overhaul procedures anywhere to be found. This led to further investigation, which also revealed that there were no carburetor inspection and overhaul procedures either. Who knows what else was missing.

Needless to say, I was furious so I promptly called Jensales to complain. Much to my surprise, they seemed to "know" that the manual was incomplete, which was only emphasized when I was asked if I knew where to get additional original manuals they could make master copies from. Seriously, are you effing kidding me? If I had original manuals, I would not be buying them. Long story short, I demanded a refund, and the manuals (all of them) are on their way back to Jensales. And to think, I had actually recommended Jensales.com to people. From now on, I will make a point to do just the opposite. I will NOT be fooled again.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #137  
Well, it looks like the negative reports I've read online about Jensales.com were accurate afterall.

Despite their assurance that I would get a full refund, less shipping costs, they are now trying to hit me with a 35% restocking fee! What's wrong with this picture? They sell me manuals, I return the manuals, they keep 35%, and I get nothing for my trouble. I don't think so!

I've contacted my bank and will be requesting a charge-back after their partial refund clears the bank, if they did in fact issue a partial refund like they claimed. Either way, I'll know for certain by the end of the week, then we shall see about that 35% ripoff fee!

35% seems a little high. And you should have been made aware that there was a re-stocking fee.

But I do understand the logic behind the charge. At least I can see one reason. What would stop a person from ordering the manuals, making copies, then returning for full credit. What do they (Jensales) get for their "trouble"?

BTW if you have read negative reports about Jensales why did you order from them?

frankroberts

ps. I've been enjoying your thread.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #138  
Wow, your getting after them. Sorry your having to go through the trouble. I have been following the thread and I'm sure it will help me get the one I'm buying fixed up. Thank you for your efforts.

v/r

Mike

35% seems a little high. And you should have been made aware that there was a re-stocking fee.

I called Jensales and spoke with them to get a return authorization (RMA) number (invoice number with an R appended to it) prior to sending the manuals back to them, and was very careful to ask about specific amounts that would be refunded, item by item. The representative responded with amounts corresponding to those shown on my invoice and indicated that as a courtesy to me the restocking fee would be waived for the service and owners manuals since I had discovered the major omissions in their service manual just outside of their 30 day return window. The parts manual I returned was not subject to a restocking fee because it was returned well within the 30 day return window.

If I hadn't been informed over the phone the 35% restocking fee was being waived, we wouldn't have a problem, but they are going back on their word and I will fight them until the end of time because of it.

Regardless, I hope that 35% restocking fee (a little under $40) was worth it, because it cost them about $800 in potential parts sales from me. After all, I'm restoring a tractor, and manuals are only the beginning.

BTW if you have read negative reports about Jensales why did you order from them?

I originally asked where I could find manuals in a TBN forum thread and was told about jensales.com at that time, so I did a brief search but didn't see anything bad about them so I ordered the manuals. Being that I was still caught up in the "newness" of having just bought my first tractor, I had let my guard down and didn't do my homework like I would have normally done before purchasing anything from a company I had never done business with. Lesson learned.

Wow, your getting after them. Sorry your having to go through the trouble.

It's very unfortunate, but I did everything possible to give them the benefit of the doubt. The funny thing is that I can be a very forgiving person, and despite the problems with the manuals, I was actually considering ordering parts from their website, but not any longer.

I have been following the thread and I'm sure it will help me get the one I'm buying fixed up. Thank you for your efforts.

You're very welcome, and I'm glad you find it useful because that's why it's here. Hopefully, I can put this manual business behind me soon, so I can get back to the good stuff. :)