My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
After recently completing a number of major tasks such as rebuilding the steering box, distributor, oil pump and cylinder head, I've begun to complete some smaller tasks. Currently I'm cleaning, sandblasting, and priming about a zillion nuts, bolts, washers, and screws. It's a slow and tedious job, but it's gotta be done.

Last edited:
   / My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #402  
I wondered what happened to the best rebuild thread on the web....

I wondered what happened to the best rebuild thread on the web....

My restoration project is still very active and I've made a great deal of progress, I just haven't been posting much about it lately... for a variety of reasons.

As I near completion of the dreaded task of sandblasting and priming a zillion nuts/bolts/washers/screws, I've begun the task of changing the front transmission input shaft seals.

The process for changing the transmission input shaft seals is a bit more "involved" than I had originally anticipated, but it's not too bad since I've already got most of the tractor taken apart anyway. So far, I've removed the old seals and as soon as my bottle of aviation grade gasket sealer arrives, I'll begin the process of replacing them.

wh4ee.jpg

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #405  
Started the tear down of my 135 today. Got the engine mostly clear of attachments except manifold. Taking that off is not going to be easy. There are a few bolts that are slightly blocked by the manifold and you cannot get a socket on them. Any recommendations? Looks as though its cracked also. Took forever to get gas drained as there was about five gallons in it and I broke off the drain petcock.

Did get valve cover off and its gummed up pretty bad with milk froth inside of valve cover. Finding other things that will need to be replaced. Tack cable, fuel gauge wires etc. I have a feeling radiator may be beyond repair. Hope to make some more progress tomorrow.

Started the tear down of my 135 today. Got the engine mostly clear of attachments except manifold. Taking that off is not going to be easy. There are a few bolts that are slightly blocked by the manifold and you cannot get a socket on them. Any recommendations? Looks as though its cracked also. Took forever to get gas drained as there was about five gallons in it and I broke off the drain petcock.

Did get valve cover off and its gummed up pretty bad with milk froth inside of valve cover. Finding other things that will need to be replaced. Tack cable, fuel gauge wires etc. I have a feeling radiator may be beyond repair. Hope to make some more progress tomorrow.

The manifold can be a little tricky to remove, especially if it still has it's heat shield. It the heat shield is still there, first remove it by removing the three bolts holding it in place, two on the manifold and one on the transmission bell housing. The rest of the bolts require either using a thin-walled socket or a combination wrench, where patience really helps. As I recall, none of my manifold bolts were especially difficult to remove, but it did take a fair amount of time to remove them all. If you don't have a thin-walled socket, one can be made by taking a cheap socket and grinding it down as much as necessary.

Milky oil is usually not a good sign, meaning that the oil has been contaminated with either water or gasoline. If someone left the fuel shutoff valve open and the float valve wasn't sealing properly it can easily flood the engine with gasoline, but if the oil is contaminated with gasoline the smell will give it away. However, water contamination usually means one or more of the following three things...

1. The head gasket is blown.
2. One or more of the cylinder seals (o-rings) are leaking.
3. The block is cracked.

Obviously 1 and 2 aren't that bad, especially since you're tearing the engine down anyway, but I must warn you that number 3 is a very real possibility. The Continental Z-129, Z-134 and Z-145 engines all share a potentially fatal flaw, if the engine has been overheated it can cause the block to crack between the cylinders, either at the top or at the bottom near the main bearings. A cracked block can be repaired using furnace brazing (very expensive) or a method that involves drilling holes through the block and adding sealant at the crack then installing tension rods to pull everything together.

Last edited:
   / My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #407  
Got the engine removed and head is off. It has a blown head gasket between the two inner cylinders. That is why those two had 30 psi upon compression test. The outer cylinders checked at 125 which is below specs. At this point it does not matter as I will replace rings and or piston, rings etc.

I still did not get the exhaust manifold off. Got down to one bolt and stripped the bolt surface. I guess I will have machine shop get it off. That is a poor design to get those bolts. I am going to go to car wash and get the block sprayed off while its in the truck.

Overall, getting the motor out was not too bad. I am sure putting it all back together will be more of a challenge.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #408  
BTW, if you have a cracked block how do you know? Is it obvious? The reason I ask is I doubt the temp gauge worked and he was always putting antifreeze in it.

BTW, if you have a cracked block how do you know? Is it obvious? The reason I ask is I doubt the temp gauge worked and he was always putting antifreeze in it.

Sometimes a cracked block will be obvious and sometimes it won't. The only way to be relatively certain is to have a machine shop check it using a variety of different methods such as magnafluxing.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #410  
Thanks, now I have to get in and check specs out on everything. There is only a slight lip on cylinders and I am wondering if pistons mic fine and cylinder mics fine if I should just get new rings and such. What are you doing to your lower end, I can't remember? It would save me some money but I also think if I got it this torn down if its just as well to start new and know I have not overlooked anything?