My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #421  
Massey WV, hubby and I also have a a MF135 tractor with the Z-134 engine that he is tearing down. Hubby was wanting to know your opinion on over sized pistons and cylinders as replacement for this engine. Is that a wise option that is even available or would it cause problems down the road? We too are looking at a complete rebuild for our 135, much like Forester Massey's tractor, ours also has a blown head gasket. We find it interesting that the blown head gasket is in the same area as Forester's tractor. But hubby hasn't gotten to the point of pulling the pistons, cam and crankshaft off yet, but has removed the head, timing gear cover and oil pan.

Also Massey, our MF150 diesel and MF135 gas, both built in 1967, particularly the 150 has a lot of gray and red paint over spray from a former owners bad unmasked paint job. Being new Massey owners are there any detailed pictures or info available that shows exactly where the red, gray or any other possible colors that were used on Massey tractors of this particular year?

Thanks MasseyWV and welcome Forester Massey to the forum.

:tractor:--MasseyLady

MasseyLady....if you have a '67 MF135, I'm pretty sure you have a Z145 Cont. engine rather than the Z134 if you have a Delux...do you have all 5 gauges?. If you do have the Z134, do a search on sleeves/pistons for the Z134 and find out if you can put different ones in...BobG in VA

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #422  
BobG, the serial number is 9A 29484. According to tractordata.com it's a 1967, correct? Is there a serial number on the engine somewhere to confirm if it's a Z134 or Z145? We are pretty sure it's not a deluxe, but rather a special/standard. There are 4 gauges, no tach and one of the gauges doesn't look original. I've posted a picture. Thanks Bob we appreciate the info and input we need to put this classic back into working order. :)

MF135 Guages.png

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
Massey WV, hubby and I also have a a MF135 tractor with the Z-134 engine that he is tearing down. Hubby was wanting to know your opinion on over sized pistons and cylinders as replacement for this engine. Is that a wise option that is even available or would it cause problems down the road? We too are looking at a complete rebuild for our 135, much like Forester Massey's tractor, ours also has a blown head gasket. We find it interesting that the blown head gasket is in the same area as Forester's tractor. But hubby hasn't gotten to the point of pulling the pistons, cam and crankshaft off yet, but has removed the head, timing gear cover and oil pan.

Also Massey, our MF150 diesel and MF135 gas, both built in 1967, particularly the 150 has a lot of gray and red paint over spray from a former owners bad unmasked paint job. Being new Massey owners are there any detailed pictures or info available that shows exactly where the red, gray or any other possible colors that were used on Massey tractors of this particular year?

Thanks MasseyWV and welcome Forester Massey to the forum.

Are you certain it has a Continental Z-134 engine? If it's a 1967 model, it should be a Deluxe model with 5 gauges, a dual stage clutch, and a Continental Z-145 engine. I believe that only the very early Massey 135 Special's were equipped with a Continental Z-134 engine which also had a single stage clutch and only two gauges (oil pressure and temperature). However, it's possible that someone may have pieced several tractors together which could explain having a Z-134 engine, if indeed that is what it has.

To positively identify your engine, look for the aluminum engine identification tag which is riveted to the block and is located just above and to the right of the distributor. It's possible that the numbers may be worn away or the tag has been painted over so another way to identify your engine is to locate the engine identification numbers cast into the side of the block. They should be located on the lower half of the engine, just below the distributor. For example, my engine says "Z145A 600".

Keep in mind that both the Z-134 and Z-145 engines use the same cylinder head so you can't positively identify the engine by using the numbers cast into the head. For example, my cylinder head says "Z134 A801" but it's a Z-145 engine.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of anyone using oversized pistons/sleeves in a Z-134 or Z-145 engine and strongly advise using stock sizes as called for by the engine specifications in the service manual. Engine kits for both engines are commonly available.

Regarding the paint scheme for the Massey 150, I know a few sources who may have the information and I'll see what I can come up with.

Last edited:
the serial number is 9A 29484. According to tractordata.com it's a 1967, correct? Is there a serial number on the engine somewhere to confirm if it's a Z134 or Z145? We are pretty sure it's not a deluxe, but rather a special/standard. There are 4 gauges, no tach and one of the gauges doesn't look original. I've posted a picture.

Your serial number does indeed cross to a 1967 model and the gauges seem to indicate that it is a Special which only had oil pressure and temperature gauges. Someone must have added the additional gauges afterwards. It's odd though because nothing I've found indicates that a 1967 Massey 135 Special ever existed, but that doesn't mean it didn't. It's also possible that someone may have added the serial number tag from another tractor, but you may never know for sure.

It appears that you have a Massey 135 Special which did have a Continental Z-134 engine but the engine identification numbers should tell you for certain what engine you have. Additional confirmation (Special or Deluxe) will come from the type of clutch you have. A single stage clutch will disengage the transmission and the PTO at the same time when the pedal is pressed, and a dual stage clutch will disengage the transmission when you press the pedal half way down and it will disengage the PTO when you press the pedal all the way down.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #425  
Are you certain it has a Continental Z-134 engine? If it's a 1967 model, it should be a Deluxe model with 5 gauges, a dual stage clutch, and a Continental Z-145 engine. Only the very early Massey 135 Special's were equipped with a Continental Z-134 engine which also had a single stage clutch and only two gauges (oil pressure and temperature). However, it's possible that someone may have pieced several tractors together which could explain having a Z-134 engine, if indeed that is what it has.

To positively identify your engine, look for the aluminum engine identification tag which is riveted to the block and is located just above and to the right of the distributor. It's possible that the numbers may be worn away of the tag has been painted over so another way to identify your engine is to locate the engine identification numbers cast into the side of the block. They should be located on the lower half of the engine, just below the distributor. For example, my engine says "Z145A 600".

Keep in mind that both the Z-134 and Z-145 engines use the same cylinder head so you can't positively identify the engine by using the numbers cast into the head. For example, my cylinder head says "Z134 A801" but it's a Z-145 engine.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of anyone using oversized pistons/sleeves in a Z-134 or Z-145 engine and strongly advise using stock sizes as called for by then specifications. Engine kits for both engines are commonly available.

Regarding the paint scheme for the Massey 150, know a few sources who may have the information and I'll see what I can come up with.

MasseyWV, this is interesting indeed, tractors do "talk." I just checked the plate near the distributor cap, it indicates this - Z134 756073, but the casting in the block, and I have posted a picture, does indicate a Z145, but with an added twist, someone had taken the time to file off the 4 and the 5, but you can just tell it was there, not sure if my picture will show that, but very interesting.
The pictures of the guages are posted here just a few posts back to give you an idea, not the best pic and we suspect some gauges are not original. The gauges are from left to right as if you are sitting on the tractor are battery, water temp, hour meter, and oil pressure. I'll double check on the clutch. Sounds like we have a "combo package" of a tractor. Being new, we knew some things to look for, but obviously not everything when we bought this little gal. Live and learn.

Thanks for your input on using oversized pistons/sleeves etc. We lean heavily towards using stock sizes too but wanted to look at all options.
That is great on the paint scheem info! Looking forward to that possiblity.

Oh Massey, I just realized I have drifted from the restoration thread.......so sorry, not my intentions, just really appreciate your knowledge.

Massey 135 #2 002.png

Last edited:
MasseyWV, this is interesting indeed, tractors do "talk." I just checked the plate near the distributor cap, it indicates this - Z134 756073, but the casting in the block, and I have posted a picture, does indicate a Z145, but with an added twist, someone had taken the time to file off the 4 and the 5, but you can just tell it was there, not sure if my picture will show that, but very interesting.

That is interesting indeed. Since the engine identification tag is present and indicates that it's a Z-134 engine, that's what I'd be inclined to believe, especially since there are other indications that it's a Massey 135 Special.

My understanding is that the Z-134 and Z-145 engines are virtually identical except for the cylinders, pistons, camshaft, and a few other parts. That said, it's entirely possible that the factory may have used a Z-145 block casting and machined it to accomodate the smaller Z-134 sleeves and pistons, then ground off the 4 and 5 so there wouldn't be any confusion with engine identification. Granted, it's just a theory but it makes sense considering the circumstances.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #427  
That is interesting indeed. Since the engine identification tag is present and indicates that it's a Z-134 engine, that's what I'd be inclined to believe, especially since there are other indications that it's a Massey 135 Special.

My understanding is that the Z-134 and Z-145 engines are virtually identical except for the cylinders, pistons, camshaft, and a few other parts. That said, it's entirely possible that the factory may have used a Z-145 block casting and machined it to accomodate the smaller Z-134 sleeves and pistons, then ground off the 4 and 5 so there wouldn't be any confusion with engine identification. Granted, it's just a theory but it makes sense considering the circumstances.

Massey, would I be correct in my thinking, that once the clutch is determined that would be an indicator also? It seems I remember the former owner saying it's a two stage. Hubby is not here at the moment, is there a way, since the tractor's engine is torn down I can tell if it's a one stage or two stage clutch?

Massey, would I be correct in my thinking, that once the clutch is determined that would be an indicator also? It seems I remember the former owner saying it's a two stage. Hubby is not here at the moment, is there a way, since the tractor's engine is torn down I can tell if it's a one stage or two stage clutch?

Yes, the clutch type would also be an indicator, but you should definitely go by the engine itself just to be certain. If it has a Z-134 engine and a dual stage clutch, odds are that it's a "combo package" assembled from parts of different tractors. However, if it has a Z-134 engine and a single stage clutch, it's probably all original with some "modifications".

Since you have it torn down, determining the clutch type is very easy. A single stage clutch will only have one clutch disc, and a dual stage clutch will have two clutch discs. On a dual stage clutch, the larger clutch disc is for the transmission and the smaller clutch disc is for the PTO.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #429  
Yes, the clutch type would also be an indicator, but you should definitely go by the engine itself just to be certain. If it has a Z-134 engine and a dual stage clutch, odds are that it's a "combo package" assembled from parts of different tractors. However, if it has a Z-134 engine and a single stage clutch, it's probably all original with some "modifications".

Since you have it torn down, determining the clutch type is very easy. A single stage clutch will only have one clutch disc, and a dual stage clutch will have two clutch discs. On a dual stage clutch, the larger clutch disc is for the transmission and the smaller clutch disc is for the PTO.

Gottcha, makes sense! Thanks, I'll let you know the outcome when we get to that point. Thanks again for your help.

Gottcha, makes sense! Thanks, I'll let you know the outcome when we get to that point. Thanks again for your help.

You're welcome and I look foreward to learning what you discover. It's a mystery that just begs to be solved. :)