My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
Currently I'm working on sandblasting and priming the step plates and associated hardware, as time permits. One of the step plates had some damage to two of the raised cleats so I had to weld it and grind/file/drill them to match the others.

By the way, I haven't done much work to my Massey 135 tractor lately because I've been busy doing other things. However, I plan to resume working on it after my remaining parts arrive. That just leaves the machine shop work (flywheel and connecting rod bushings), which I'll probably have done within a week or so.

In addition, I've decided to prolong my Massey 135 restoration project throughout the winter and plan to have it finished by spring. Originally, I had planned to complete it by fall and still could if I really wanted to, but fall is always a busy time for me and I don't have a pressing need to use my tractor right now so I'd like to take my time and do it right.

Soon, I'll post a few pictures of the progress I've made recently.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
To positively identify your engine, look for the aluminum engine identification tag which is riveted to the block and is located just above and to the right of the distributor. It's possible that the numbers may be worn away or the tag has been painted over so another way to identify your engine is to locate the engine identification numbers cast into the side of the block. They should be located on the lower half of the engine, just below the distributor. For example, my engine says "Z145A 600".

Keep in mind that both the Z-134 and Z-145 engines use the same cylinder head so you can't positively identify the engine by using the numbers cast into the head. For example, my cylinder head says "Z134 A801" but it's a Z-145 engine.

I just checked the plate near the distributor cap, it indicates this - Z134 756073, but the casting in the block, and I have posted a picture, does indicate a Z145, but with an added twist, someone had taken the time to file off the 4 and the 5, but you can just tell it was there, not sure if my picture will show that, but very interesting.

View attachment 280211

Curiousity got the better of me so I did some additional checking to see what I could find and it appears that your tractor is not the only one to have had the "Z145A 600" numbers changed to read "Z1 A 60 ". That said, I now believe it must have been done at the factory because it's highly unlikely that different owners would take the time to grind away the exact same numbers. The following is a link to a forum thread where another Massey tractor owner mentioned that their Z-134 engine was marked with "Z1A60".

Today's Tractors :: View topic - ID my tractor

The numbers cast into the block of the original Continental Z-134 engines usually read something to the effect of "Z134A 500" but the Z-134 engine was eventually replaced by the Z-145 engine. That said, since the Z-134 and Z-145 blocks are virtually identical except for the size of the bores that were machined into them to accomodate the cylinder sleeves, I believe that the factory must have used Z-145 blocks as a foundation to make Z-134 engines during the later production years where the Z-134 engine was used. The casting numbers were probably changed to avoid any confusion with engine identification.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #433  
Curiousity got the better of me so I did some additional checking to see what I could find and it appears that your tractor is not the only one to have had the "Z145A 600" numbers changed to read "Z1 A 60 ". That said, I now believe it must have been done at the factory because it's highly unlikely that different owners would take the time to grind away the exact same numbers. The following is a link to a forum thread where another Massey tractor owner mentioned that their Z-134 engine was marked with "Z1A60".

Today's Tractors :: View topic - ID my tractor

The numbers cast into the block of the original Continental Z-134 engines usually read something to the effect of "Z134A 500" but the Z-134 engine was eventually replaced by the Z-145 engine. That said, since the Z-134 and Z-145 blocks are virtually identical except for the size of the bores that were machined into them to accomodate the cylinder sleeves, I believe that the factory must have used Z-145 blocks as a foundation to make Z-134 engines during the later production years where the Z-134 engine was used. The casting numbers were probably changed to avoid any confusion with engine identification.

Oh this just gets more interesting! Oh I can't wait till hubby gets the block off to see if we have single or dual clutch in there. Another twist MasseyWV, hubby reminded me the other night and I totally forgot that the former owner had worked on the clutch system and told us it was a two stage clutch and that he had a hard time getting everything lined up due to having two clutch plates. So a 1967 with a Z134 engine, and a two stage clutch, hum and so the mystery goes. The tractor as a whole looks so original to us, even all of the paint, no repaint or bondo on this 135. But our 150 is a different story. Will keep you posted on what we find out when he pulls the block off. Thanks

:tractor:--MasseyLady

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #435  
Our MF135 update - hubby pulled the engine this evening and we indeed have a two stage clutch. The mystery continues, or we simply have a few different tractors made into one. Makes me wonder if it was a special order of some kind too.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #436  
Our MF135 update - hubby pulled the engine this evening and we indeed have a two stage clutch. The mystery continues, or we simply have a few different tractors made into one. Makes me wonder if it was a special order of some kind too.

MasseyLady...since you have a two stage, you should be able to "feel" the clutch stages with your foot as you depress it.. the first stage will keep the PTO turning but the tractor trans will stop (you will feel an increased pressure on your foot when you hit this stage...the second stage is all the way down which will stop the the PTO/and the trans. Same is true for the hyds. half way down the hyds will work, all the way down they don't..BobG in VA

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #437  
MasseyLady...since you have a two stage, you should be able to "feel" the clutch stages with your foot as you depress it.. the first stage will keep the PTO turning but the tractor trans will stop (you will feel an increased pressure on your foot when you hit this stage...the second stage is all the way down which will stop the the PTO/and the trans. Same is true for the hyds. half way down the hyds will work, all the way down they don't..BobG in VA

Thanks for further clarity BobG about a two stage clutch, hubby was explaining just this exact thing to me last night on how it works.
But isn't it interesting that this 1967 MF135 special with a two stage clutch has a Z134 engine?

I really don't want to thread drift much longer here out of respect for MasseyWV. Thanks again BobG :)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #438  
MasseyWV,

The quality, perseverance, and attention to detail that I find in your work is not something I have seen so well documented before. I can only wish to one day have the ability to carry on a restoration project with the skill that you exhibit.

What led me to your thread was that, today (well, at this point it would be yesterday... oops) I find myself to be the new owner of a Massey Ferguson 135. This suspect is claimed to be of a 1968 vintage with the three cylinder Perkins diesel motor. I had a lot of fun tooling around on this tractor today, as it does run. It looks, however, like it shouldn't. I'm afraid the previous owners weren't necessarily the kindest. I picked up this tractor in the hopes of working a small field on my property, and might be able to do that with minimal difficulty provided that I am able to perform some necessary repairs (main point being, perhaps, the issue responsible for the inability of the three point hitch to raise...) I'm fear that I may have over-payed greatly for the poor thing, though. I hope that my mechanical ability will be sufficient to stop its leaks and restore enough of its functionality for it to be usable once again.

I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to put my tractor in a condition anywhere near as spectacular as you will (and, so far, have) yours. Your thread has taught me a lot of things about my tractor that I would probably never have known otherwise. Thank you for sharing your experiences! I hope I will have the foresight and ability to do the same with mine. I'm looking forward to further updates!

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #439  
I know you planned to extend the rebuild time, was wondering how you made out with the machining and if your parts arrived as planned.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #440  
I sure hope he comes back. I miss his updates and would like to see the finished machine. Hope all is well with you Massey.